PDA

View Full Version : The next dumb question?

gcollins
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi Fellas,
Yesterday I recieved a flyer from Lee Precision, on the front page they show a loading stand, after seeing it I thought to my self that the stand would work for me in my bedroom! But at a $130.00 I won't be buying one! My question is:
They list it is 39" tall my reloading bench is only 30" tall, so I ask you all which do you think would be easier on my back, a 39" tall or a 30" tall. I am a meduim framed man, 5"11" and 175 lbs.
Let me know what you all think??
Thanks
G

Jim
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
There's more than one way to do this. I bought a steel collapsible saw horse from Lowe's or some place like that and converted it to a casting and boolit sizing station. The height of the legs are adjustable. I screwed a lunch tray to put stuff on between two light duty presses and , when I'm not casting, I have plenty of room to size boolits.
Seems to me, you could do something similar for loading at a lot lower cost that buying that stand. And the saw horse can be folded and stowed if need be.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/pics3-e1294162074725.jpg

Tom R
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
A video of my bench more on video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ULK7lVYJ8
I hope this sparks a trip to the good will

1hole
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
"I ask you all which do you think would be easier on my back, a 39" tall or a 30" tall. I am a meduim framed man, 5"11" and 175 lbs."

I'm about the same size and generally load standing. My bench top is 40" high and I had to block up my main press 2" (RCBS RC) and secondary up almost 5" (Lyman Spar-T) to let me fully depress the levers without bending over; my back thanked me. I have a swiveling flea-market bar stool with a back that keeps me comfortable and at the same height when seated.

Before you build anything try sitting your press up on what ever and see how high the base needs to be to allow your to fully depress your lever without bending; it's a bunch easier to shorten the legs later than it is to make 'em longer! Any one of Lee's presses with the excellant fully adjustable levers would give you lots of latitude with that.

gcollins
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Howdy Guys,
Thanks to all that replied. Jim, I have no place to put a saw horse in the house. (thanks)
Tom, I am going to watch your video right now. (thanks)
1hole, if I stood up and resized 50 cases I would have to go in the house and would spend the next 3 days getting over it!!! I do like what you said about jacking up the height some there isn't any bending of the back. (thanks)
Later
G

Jim
01-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I didn't know how much room you had, G. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

1hole
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
" ..if I stood up and resized 50 cases I would have to go in the house and would spend the next 3 days getting over it!!! "

Me too, IF I had to bend over. (Missing the bottom two discs does that to us!)

mdi
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I load sitting down (5-11, used to be 6-0) and before I got a dedicated reloading area, I used a B&D Workmate sitting down. I'd take it into the dining room to reload and fold it up and stow it when done. I had a scrap piece of counter top (about 24" x 34") that I screwed a 2x4 to the bottom, and bolted the press to that. I clamped the 2x4 in the workmate and it made a real stable platform for reloading.

P.S. look at Harbor Freight's "tool/work stands".

Ickisrulz
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I load standing up. I'm 5'8" and my bench height it 40". It's very comfortable for me.

markinalpine
01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Harbor Freight and probably the big box home improvement stores sell mats to put on the floor where you have to stand for long periods. They really help, even if you don't have any injuries or are just old like so many of us. :violin:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Good luck,
Mark [smilie=s:

gcollins
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey Guys,
I made this post before I saw the post on page 2, so I have posted there also. Bought the Bench grider stand from H.F. for $29.95 and it is great.
Later
G