PDA

View Full Version : How to improve postal matches

NVScouter
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I see Bullshop posting and working to keep these alive. I have a few sugestions for future matches to try and help.

1) Since we are all computer people how about a .pdf file target to score. With a generic target the Honcho can print/score easily.

2) Scan the immage with name, date, conditions, load, range, fire arm.

3) I like Bullshop's 3 month window for entries. I would like to see this continue. I'm a father of a 1 year old and my reloading/shooting times arent as open as they were.

4) Limit certain matches to caliber/class only in specific shoots like the current .22 since they are a PITA. I would like to see small rifle matches like .177-.258,medium rifle .260-.338, large rifle to .358+.

5) Honchos should set all rules in first post. Every postal match here has changed due to later posts. If the rules arent right the shooters wont join and its a lesson learned.

What say you? Anybody else? Things that have worked well, or worked poorly to avoid?

Bullshop
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Two things I have noticed that seem to kill matches.
#1 Too many rules. If the list of rules is long enough no one can comply with all so many will drop out.
#2 Too many shots per target. Yes I know 10 shot groups tell a better story than a three shot group but since most of us are not shooting bench rest rigs but sporters 3 shots or even maybe 5 better represents a sporting situation.
In a sporting situation its usually the first shot that counts and that is why the current 22 only postal match one of the two targets is for closest to center with 1 shot per target. May sound easy but give it a try. It will average about the same as the 3 shot group targets.
Anyway for matches I have seen run in the past those are the things that turned me off to the match.

rhbrink
01-05-2011, 06:52 AM
I have watched these postal matches for a while and made a effort to shoot one or two but usually end up not finishing the match mainly like Bullshop says too many rules. Most of the time you have shoot some kind of target that I don't have. Puter thingy don't print them all out the same size so send off a order to somewhere for a 100 tragets that I'll only need to use one or two. Ain't gonna do that.

I like what Bullshop has do with this one keep it simple, make your own targets if you want, three groups of three shots each, easy enough to do. Then three tragets for one shot per target for center easy enough also.

Then if prizes are available make a drawing for them that way everyone has the same chance. That seems to get more people interested and more fair too for everyone involved.

And the .22 is pretty fun to shoot, challenging but fun, cheap too unless you go to buying new molds and new barrels and stuff.

imashooter2
01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Run one with the rules you like and see if participation picks up. Bullshop's is only the second postal match that I've missed and that's because I don't have a platform.

Bullshop
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
rhbrink
You had to throw in that last part, and my wife was watching too.
I am guilty on all counts. I even bought a new gun too!
Its a winter thing dont ya know.

unclebill
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
ii have set up a couple of postal matches and i agree that too many rules will kill it.
my 1st attempt was a total flop.
the 2nd was .22rimfire
and we used BLACK DEATH targets.
the rules are printed on the targets so it went much more smoothly.
BTW
those targets are deceptivley simple .
in reality they are tough to do.

we did ours at 50

http://www.plinker.org/images/Targets/BlackDeath/Black%20Death%20Target.pdf

Dutch4122
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Since I'm a member of the "tried to run a postal match and it flopped" club; I thought I'd run some ideas I have for a new match by you guys and see what you think.

My main interest for cast boolit postal matches is for milsurp rifles. I had tried to run a match last year that was five stages @ 50 & 100 yards. Stages were 5 shots bench rest (100), 5 shots standing (50), 5 shots kneeling(100), five shots sitting(100), and five shots prone(100). A few members here expressed interest, but no targets were sent. The two biggest comments I got was that many shooters only have 50 yards available to them to shoot or don't like to shoot at 100 yards; and that the kneeling stage was not practical.

The course of fire I'm considering this time is:

-50 yards
-5 shots benchrest
-5 shots offhand
-Unsure at this time if I want to include a third stage from the sitting position.

As for targets, I was considering mailing the targets to those who participate in the match. Then after they shoot for score they can mail the targets back to me for scoring. I'm working on a suitable target that can be xerox'd onto an 8.5"x11" sheet of target paper. Participants could send a small fee back with their target to cover the cost of postage, paper & toner, etc.

What do you think?

waksupi
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I ran a few matches, and the KISS method is the best. Do a single classification on a single target, for each competition. Run as many separate competitions at the same time as you wish. That way the people can shoot which segment of the competition they want to enter.
Let people use any target, and measure group size.

imashooter2
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Since I'm a member of the "tried to run a postal match and it flopped" club; I thought I'd run some ideas I have for a new match by you guys and see what you think.

My main interest for cast boolit postal matches is for milsurp rifles. I had tried to run a match last year that was five stages @ 50 & 100 yards. Stages were 5 shots bench rest (100), 5 shots standing (50), 5 shots kneeling(100), five shots sitting(100), and five shots prone(100). A few members here expressed interest, but no targets were sent. The two biggest comments I got was that many shooters only have 50 yards available to them to shoot or don't like to shoot at 100 yards; and that the kneeling stage was not practical.

The course of fire I'm considering this time is:

-50 yards
-5 shots benchrest
-5 shots offhand
-Unsure at this time if I want to include a third stage from the sitting position.

As for targets, I was considering mailing the targets to those who participate in the match. Then after they shoot for score they can mail the targets back to me for scoring. I'm working on a suitable target that can be xerox'd onto an 8.5"x11" sheet of target paper. Participants could send a small fee back with their target to cover the cost of postage, paper & toner, etc.

What do you think?

I think you're going to spend money sending targets to people that won't send them back. I agree with Waksupi, that use any target and measure group works best.

unclebill
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
one succesful match i held was a print your own target
and if you cant do that.
you dont compete.
and it was 5 shots any position. 50 yards.
scan the caliper measured targets and e-mail them in.
best group wins
my yugo mauser came in 3rd.

RayinNH
01-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Dutch couldn't you just pick a target to your liking, scan it full size, and fit to an 8.5"x11" paper and then E-mail to willing participants. It would save you a lot of money and time...Ray