PDA

View Full Version : Alox or Lube Building up on seating stem?

scar270
01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Ok, this is a problem I've experienced, and from what I've read have seen many others have the same problem. The common solution being to clean the dies often. That works, but is annoying and you have to reset your dies, a real pain in a progressive.

I have a solution that I don't believe is original, but doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Take your seating stem, and drill a hole through it. You can drill a fairly large hole, at least 50% of your caliber size, you then seat on the ogive, and the lube moves up the ogive on the die and up the hole in the middle. Polishing what's left of the seater plug, and then lubing it with luberplate or something similar helps as well. I went from getting about 200 .45acp's loaded before cleaning to over 1500. That was with a very small hole, I've now enlarged the hole and will try again.

I was fortunate enough to have a buddy with a lathe do it for me, but I'd bet it could be done by anyone with a drill press. I havn't tried any semi wad cutters yet, but I would drill them out so the entire flat is gone, and seat only on the sloped sides.

I've heard of similar problems with some of the softer lubes applied with a lubersizer as well eventually migrating up into the seater die, and this should alleviate that problem as well.

DanWalker
01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Great Idea! Lightening up on the Alox will help a lot too. I think most people use way too much.