PDA

View Full Version : S TI International

scottrussell
01-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Don't know anything about auto loaders but am interested in getting one, i have read a lot of great info on a lot of different brands but this one. Any opinons on the S TI line of 1911 style pistols ?

HeavyMetal
01-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I've read good things about STI guns but the fact is I don't know anyone with that kind of cash flow!

Which means I have never seen one on the range, perhaps someone here has one??

crabo
01-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Had an STI Trojan in 9mm for a while. It was a great pistol. I just didn't need a custom 5" 38 super and the 9mm both.

I would buy another if I had need, (I mean want), for another 1911.

Lloyd Smale
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
i had a 9mm trojan myself and it was one of the most accurate and reliable 1911s ive ever owned

sixshot
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
STI dominates the action pistol game & has for many years, another top competitor is SV, both are built in Texas & they are expensive but very accurate & reliable. There are others out there, Brazos Custom guns use STI or SV frames & are very popular also.
I had an STI open gun for a couple of years (9 major) but I'm just not a semi auto guy, went back to revolvers. If you look at the results of the USPSA nationals every year you will see about 70% STI, maybe 20% SV & the rest are guns made up by custom pistol smiths that are probably just as good as both STI & SV.
If you are looking for a good single stack, either 8 rounder or 10 rounder you can get by very nicely with a Kimber, my youngest son has won matches all over the country with a 5" Kimber 45 I gave him. With the Kimber have a good gunsmith clean up the trigger, add a fiber optic front sight & then experiment with different springs once you find the load you like. Many people think because their gun is going off that they are using the right spring, not so! You can batter your gun into early retirement with the wrong spring. Also you can add a Shok buffer.
You can go to USPSA.ORG & find out a lot of info.

Dick

jameslovesjammie
01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
As sixshooter mentioned, STI/SVI represent probably 90% of the competition 1911/2011 market. Almost any smith who builds them as custom uses their frames. Both companies were started by the same gentleman, but I cannot for the life of me remember why he quit STI and started SVI.

My uncle shoots S_I's in USPSA and 3-Gun. They are VERY nice guns. You will not be disappointed.

Aaron
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I have two, a full size 40 Trojan and a Commanderish size one, and would recommend them highly.