PDA

View Full Version : wood shotgun pistol grip

camerl2009
01-02-2011, 11:28 PM
i was thinking about making a wood pistol grip for my

1 should the grain be going up and down or just like a stock side to side

waksupi
01-03-2011, 03:14 AM
First thing to do, is check if it is legal where you are to have a pistol grip on a shotgun.

camerl2009
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
First thing to do, is check if it is legal where you are to have a pistol grip on a shotgun.

yup lol as long as it is 26" or over in OAL

it can be shorter but it cant be on if shorter for more the 30 days at a time [smilie=l: dum law

DeanWinchester
01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Honestly if I were doing it, I'd do a laminate. It doesn't have to be anything special, but you could glue up 3 layers or so crisscrossing the grain, and then maybe dowel it with some brass pins if you want some bling to look at. OR use wooden dowels thoughtfully done inside blind holes so they can't be seen.

I'm sure a solid piece of quality wood might hold, but that's a nasty thought should the thing break.

camerl2009
01-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Honestly if I were doing it, I'd do a laminate. It doesn't have to be anything special, but you could glue up 3 layers or so crisscrossing the grain, and then maybe dowel it with some brass pins if you want some bling to look at. OR use wooden dowels thoughtfully done inside blind holes so they can't be seen.

I'm sure a solid piece of quality wood might hold, but that's a nasty thought should the thing break.

good point but id like it to match my foregrip

camerl2009
01-03-2011, 11:22 AM
how about some thing like this

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k118816_shotgun%20US%20Ithaca%20M37%20Stakeout%201 2%20gauge-%2013%20inch%20(.jpg

Geraldo
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM

The second thing to do is ask yourself why you'd want one. The only reason we had pistol grips or folding stocks on team shotguns was on the short-barreled breaching guns, because they're all but useless for any other purpose.

In the real world, if you need to fight with a shotgun, you need a full stock.

DeanWinchester
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Geraldo, that's absolutely true. Three points of contact.

camerl2009
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
The second thing to do is ask yourself why you'd want one. The only reason we had pistol grips or folding stocks on team shotguns was on the short-barreled breaching guns, because they're all but useless for any other purpose.

In the real world, if you need to fight with a shotgun, you need a full stock.

the gun is just a fun gun i like the look of the pistol grip on it and as a bear defense gun when camping i have a short barrel(12.5" for the dominion arm/870)
but i like the 24" barrel that i cut down and restamped the new size on

camerl2009
01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Short-barreled, manually-operated shotguns (non-semi-automatics) are non-restricted as long as the barrel remains unmodified from the original factory length. There is no legal minimum for shotgun barrels as long as the overall length exceeds 26" and so shotguns with barrels as short as 6.5 inches are available in Canada. If a shotgun with an 18-inch or greater barrel is reduced to below 18 inches by sawing, cutting, or replacing the barrel (by anyone other than a recognized gun manufacturer), that shotgun becomes prohibited.[4]

lol as long as a gun comes from the factory with the barrel as short as 6.5" its ok
ok im liking it here now.

replacing the barrel lol then how come i can have my 12.5 barrel(made by Dominion Arms) on my 870 *****

mckutzy
01-04-2011, 12:17 AM
If u have the DA12" shorty, you should have the p-grip with it when u bought it. Canada ammo who imported them http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=280&cat=0&page=1 I see they just got in some wood stocked ones and ur probably best to just to laminate one like what 'dean' said or cut one out of a scrap of oak and stain it.
I have shot a 8.5" barreled model and what that needs is a Kgrip of sort, to control the muzzle during recoil. even with trap loads.

camerl2009
01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
If u have the DA12" shorty, you should have the p-grip with it when u bought it. Canada ammo who imported them http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=280&cat=0&page=1 I see they just got in some wood stocked ones and ur probably best to just to laminate one like what 'dean' said or cut one out of a scrap of oak and stain it.
I have shot a 8.5" barreled model and what that needs is a Kgrip of sort, to control the muzzle during recoil. even with trap loads.

i dont have the da12 just the barrel it works on one of my 870's just have not tryed it on the other 2

SGTM9
04-17-2011, 12:40 PM
I made a pistol grip for a friends 870. I laminated 3 pcs of oak rough cut to shape and hand finished to fit his hand.

MtGun44
04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I suggest you borrow one and try it out. I have seen several people try to use
one and miss EVERY man sized silhouette at 10 yds, every time. It was AMAZING
how useless it made the gun. Never shot one myself, but we nearly died laughing
at the guy trying to hit bit targets up close with it. He was not a complete idiot,
either. Well, actually - the second time I saw one used, the effect was identical,
but the shooter was pretty much a dud.

Bill

Wayne Smith
04-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Interesting, I saw a guy with a pistol grip 12ga knocking clay pidgeons out of the air on a regular basis. Course, he is a SEAL and gets plenty of practice.

markinalpine
04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Here's a picture I copied from another board, which will remain unidentified to protect the idio... er, innocent. :groner:
He said he tried to put the stock back together after he tried to make a PGO! :veryconfu
His second photo, not copied, showed the "Repair" wrapped with what looked like masking tape.
Maybe he was just joking. But in all seriousness, I tried to show him how he could repair that mangled stock by inserting hardwood dowels (white lines) and wood screws (colored lines), and glue it together with a good wood glue.
Mark :coffeecom

mckutzy
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
after all that effort, I would say get a new stock. Of course if it had been a rare stock/hard to find gun then he probly should be hit several times with the remaining pieces.

Staples!!!!!..........:groner::groner:

Texxut
04-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Few shooters can be really effective with just the pistol grip on a shotgun. A good option is a stock with a pistol grip. I did try the pistol grip only. I took it to the range and tried everything from bird shot to 00 buck. I ruled it out for use on a defensive weapon. The stock w/ the pistol grip was very effective and if you needed to shorten up the weapon for confined spaces, just tuck the stock under your arm and you still have control of the shotgun.

stubshaft
04-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Here's a picture I copied from another board, which will remain unidentified to protect the idio... er, innocent. :groner:
He said he tried to put the stock back together after he tried to make a PGO! :veryconfu
His second photo, not copied, showed the "Repair" wrapped with what looked like masking tape.
Maybe he was just joking. But in all seriousness, I tried to show him how he could repair that mangled stock by inserting hardwood dowels (white lines) and wood screws (colored lines), and glue it together with a good wood glue.

So you've met Bubba too!:kidding:

John Taylor
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=590690&catid=11944

markinalpine
04-25-2011, 05:37 PM
after all that effort, I would say get a new stock. Of course if it had been a rare stock/hard to find gun then he probly should be hit several times with the remaining pieces.

Staples!!!!!..........:groner::groner:

I left out that the poster of what he described as a Franken-Stock complained about being an impecunious student having a hard time justifying spending $70 for a $50 shotgun. :lol:

gnoahhh
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I can relate to that. But STAPLES??

22Short
04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
A good friend of mine has a little Spanish made 12 ga "coach gun" that he likes to bust clays with. He never puts it on his sholder, just holds it in one hand sometimes with a beer in the other (:-0)! But he just does not miss. It takes practice is all...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk