PDA

View Full Version : .32 Wad Cutter

donald duck
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I use a lot of .32 wad cutters sized in .312 and then I run them through a Lee sizer .309 for my T/C in .32 H & R Magnum. Problem is I am getting low on wad cutters and need to order 500 or more. Where is the best place to get them????
Your information is welcomed!! Thanks donald duck

Larry Gibson
01-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Donald

I've shot a lot of the Hornady and Speer's through my .32S&WL and my H&R Magnums ( a Ruger SS and a TC 10" barrel). I pushed them through a .311 for the TC barrel as they then fit with Starline cases. >309 worked just as well. I still use them when I find them on sale from various suppliers. Either of them over 2.1 gr Bullseye is a very pleasant and accurate load. I also like to get the Hornady 90 SWC when they are on sale and run them over 3.2 gr of Bullseye. If you cast you might as well just get a Lee 6 cavity TL314-90-SWC. They are pretty much the same as the Hornady SWC. Mine drop at .314 using range lead + a bit of tin. I tumble lube them and usethem sized .314, .312 and .311 in various .30, .31 cal rifles and the .32 handguns. They work just as well as commercial swaged or cast. For the price of 500 commercial bullets you could probably get the Lee mould. Just a suggestion.

Larry Gibson

Dale53
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
First of all, the BEST place to get them is to cast them yourself.

On the other hand, if you are not going to do that, then I have had excellent results with the bulk packed Hornady hollow based wadcutters:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6003

They work extremely well for target use and also do a fine job on edible small game or as Elmer Fudd relates, "Wittle bitty bunnies"...

Dale53

BCall
01-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Lee doesn't make the TL314-90-SWC in a 6 cavity anymore, just a 2 cavity, you would have to find a used one. If you are considering casting them yourself, RCBS and Saeco both make 32 caliber 98 gr WC molds.

Dale53
01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
You know, that is a shame. I have a six cavity Lee .32 wadcutter but it is in the tumble lube version. It'll work, of course, but I much prefer the regular lubed version.

NOTE:
If anyone out there has a good Lee mould (six cavity) .32 wadcutter in the regular lubed version who would like to trade for a tumble lubed version I am interested in talking...

Dale53

Green Frog
01-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Donald

I've shot a lot of the Hornady and Speer's through my .32S&WL and my H&R Magnums ( a Ruger SS and a TC 10" barrel). I pushed them through a .311 for the TC barrel as they then fit with Starline cases. >309 worked just as well. I still use them when I find them on sale from various suppliers. Either of them over 2.1 gr Bullseye is a very pleasant and accurate load. I also like to get the Hornady 90 SWC when they are on sale and run them over 3.2 gr of Bullseye. If you cast you might as well just get a Lee 6 cavity TL314-90-SWC. They are pretty much the same as the Hornady SWC. Mine drop at .314 using range lead + a bit of tin. I tumble lube them and usethem sized .314, .312 and .311 in various .30, .31 cal rifles and the .32 handguns. They work just as well as commercial swaged or cast. For the price of 500 commercial bullets you could probably get the Lee mould. Just a suggestion.

Larry Gibson

Shameless Hijack! :hijack:

LG, are those Bullseye loads you mention for .32 S&W long or H&R Mag? Are they ok for modern S&W J-frames? I am just starting to load again for the .32 and having a devil of a time with finding good loads with modern powders... most of what I see is in old loading books and I can't justify a scavenger hunt for the powder. :sad:

Donald, please forgive the hijack, but I just HADDA ask! :bigsmyl2:

TIA to all, Froggie

Larry Gibson
01-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Green Frog

Those loads are for loading i the .32 H&R Magnum using Starline or Fed cases. The WCs are seated flush and the case is lightly taper crimped in the first lube groove of the SWC Lee bullet or 1/16" down from the Hornady 90 gr SWC shoulder.

In the .32 S&WL I like to use the 2.1 gr Bullseye load under the Speer WC with a taper crimp at the first lube groove. I generally use 2.7 gr Bullseye under the Lee or Hornady 90 gr SWCs. Occasionally I load some up with 3 gr Bullseye for "trail" loads but the 2.7 gr load at 872 fps out of the 3" barreled M30 does a good job on small game.

Indeed it is a shame the TL314-90-SWC is no longer available in a Lee 6 cavity mould, I did not know it wasn't anymore. I crank out a whole lot of bullets with mine. Getting 2 two cavity moulds wouldn't be cost prohibitive and you can crank out bullets pretty fast using 2 moulds.

Larry Gibson

evan price
01-03-2011, 03:11 AM
I've been using the 311-93-1R 6-cavity as cast tumble lubed with alox for my .32 Long and it works fine. As cast size runs around .312 and works just fine.

R.M.
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't think Lee makes that mold at all. I use a lot of them for Bullseye and Int'l CF, and have been looking for a 6 cavity for a long time. I finally found one, but it took a long time. You might run across one on a shelf covered in dust on some store's shelf, just have to keep your eyes open.