PDA

View Full Version : Ballard #2 pressures...

richbug
01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on safe pressure levels for a Ballard #2 action? I know there are those who will claim they aren't safe at any pressure but this one will be shot.

It is a #2 as best I can tell, serial # about 21,000, it was chambered in 38 Long, but has been relined to 38 special. The owner of it was shooting some modern loads up to +P levels in it, but is having accuracy issues with it and brought it to me to look over(as a friend, not a professional), as I on occasion will help out on gunsmithing projects. I myself would feel more comfortable with 10,000psi, or mid-range wadcutter loads.

My plan is to try to find an accuracy load with the Lee 158rnfp.

excess650
01-02-2011, 01:21 PM
The cast actions weren't particularly strong when new, and less so more than 120 years later. That said, there isn't a lot of bolt thrust from a straight case. The barrel is getting the majority of the pressure, but that split breech block concerns me.

Bent Ramrod
01-03-2011, 01:05 AM
I have no way of checking pressures, but my #2 relined to .32-20 is restricted to mild cast loads, the current favorite being 7 gr of Blue Dot behind the 3118 or 311316. I don't anticipate the block or receiver having a catastrophic failure, but the stingy little link between lever and block will stretch in time, even with moderate to heavy cast boolit loads, and the lever will droop.

NickSS
01-03-2011, 07:14 AM
I had one of those that was originally 38 Long RF but by time I got it it had been relined to 32-40. I shot it quite a bit with black powder loads using a 170 and a 200 gr bullet over 35 gr of FFFG. Worked fine and never gave me a bit of trouble. I even shot some loads loaded with 8 gr of Red Dot with excellent results. I personally would not load +P loads for it but anything in the 10 to 15 K psi range should be OK

DHB
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I also had one converted to 32-40. I used a 165 gr cast with 4227. I can't find the exact load but it was middle of the road. Shot well. I breach seated the boolit with a case with a stick in it to get proper boolit depth.
D

richbug
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
FWIW, I shot her today. The throat is quite generous in it. To get anywhere close to the lands I had to set the boollit(Lee 158 RNFP) almost completely out of the case.

I used a Fed 205 rifle primer as I figured the thicker cup might be better supported given the funky firing pin hole.

3.2 grains of Bullseye in 1x R-P cases

Very, very, mild load but seemed like a good place to start. 15 degrees blowing 20 today so no accuracy testing was done, but the 5 I fired hit a 4" steel target at about 50 yards using my front door frame as a rest(using the home made tang sight). I think the rather large throat may have been at least part of the issue.

leadman
01-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Is it a long throat or is the chamber cut for a 357? Might want to do a chamber cast to see what it is actually cut for.
Sounds cool though. I like working with oddball old guns. The new black stuff doesn't interest me much.

excess650
01-08-2011, 09:04 AM
It sounds like it has a long chamber or ridiculous throat. I agree, you might want to do a chamber check. I had plans to use a 357 Max chamber reamer on my Stevens 44 and remark it 38XL, but discovered the cartridge might not clear the hammer when loading. My fear was that some time someone else might slip a 357 Mag or Max in the chamber and scatter the action over parts of 3 states.

richbug
01-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I slugged the chamber and throat, and trimmed a 357 mag case till it would close. The chamber is about .030" longer than a new 38 special case. The throat is what is way out of whack. I think it can be worked with using the right bullet.

I would freshen the chamber with a 357 mag reamer, but would be scared of someone attempting to use a 357 in it.