PDA

View Full Version : Removing stuck M/L nipples

Newtire
01-01-2011, 11:59 PM
I suppose this may be an old trick to a few or more here but remembered something I would occasionally do working on a transmission if the bolt was rounded off.

Before someone came out with those great internally splined bolt extractors, we would just drive on a smaller 12 point socket and unscrew it that way.

So, it just so happens that a 12 point 1/4" drive 9/32" socket was the perfect fit after going thru my supply of nipple wrenches.

Thanks to Track of the Wolf for having the right size nipples.

bearcove
01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
That trick is how you get those lug nuts off that need a key.

Newtire
01-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Yeah, those locks just slow down the crooks a little bit huh!

01-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Good tip!
I did that not too long ago on an old original musket. Soaked with Kroil for a day, heated with a torch, added a little more Kroil, let cool, reversed a 1/4" drive socket, tapped a few times for good seat, latched on with a ratchet with adapter to fit socket..... grrrrr ah! My question is. That SxS was fitted with hooked breech for easy cleaning. Why didn't the owner pull the nipples out and clean and oil them when cleaning the barrels after shooting?.... or maybe I know the answer. :shock:

EchoSixMike
01-09-2011, 08:47 AM

I hammer a rounded bolt remover on them and hit them with an impact wrench. Or just grind flat edges on them and replace them with real lug nuts. I suppose you could do the same with a nipple. Or drill it and use an EZ out. S/F....Ken M

Newtire
01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
My question is. That SxS was fitted with hooked breech for easy cleaning. Why didn't the owner pull the nipples out and clean and oil them when cleaning the barrels after shooting?.... or maybe I know the answer. :shock:

We might try having a seance and ask the previous owner!

My great grandpa had a nice old Target rifle that he did take care of and it shoots still today. It's 150 years old.