PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 97 shotgun problem:

dano599
01-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Hello everyone. Anyone here have any experience with this shotgun? I'm stuck in one spot , I'm stripping it down for reblue and refinishing wood but can't get the wood off the slide action. My manual says to take the forend cap nut off to get the wood grip off the pump action but I can't seem to find anyway to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. P. S. it's the takedown model without the screws in wood on the pump. I've got everything else stripped except for this part. Thank you very much dano599.

Johnch
01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Dad has 2
I will refresh my memory in the AM and post

John

Eutectic
01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
dano,

You will see two notches across from each other on the front of the forend retaining nut. A special spanner wrench is required that encircles the retaining nut and has two lugs to fit into these notches. Brownell's has the spanner wrench. One for a Model 12 Winchester will also fit.

Eutectic

gunslinger20
01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
If im not mistaken and i dont think i am on the end cap you will see a round plunger like a round pin sticking out horizontally push it all the way out the other side then use it as a lever to grip the tube turn one half turn cc wise push the pin through again turn one half turn cc wise keep doing this untill the tube is screwed all the way out.

dano599
01-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Hi , and thanks guys for the fast reply. Now I can finally get this thing torn down lol. The wrench is what I need and I've since heard it can be pretty touchy cause of the age of the shotgun (107 yrs old) to takedown even with the wrench. Again thank you all.dano599

bohica2xo
01-02-2011, 02:44 AM
You need to make the wrench to fit the nut.

Dig through your box end wrenches. You want the size that just slips over the magazine tube.

Use a file to cut away some of the wrench face to form the two drive nibs to fit the slots in the face of the forend nut. Take your time, and make sure they are square, and fit the slots well. About .100 is all that comes off of the wrench. (you can still twist nuts with it)

The forend nut has very fine threads, like a camera lens filter. It can take a bit of torque to get one loose that has been in place for several decades. Wrap a towel around the wood & metal a couple of turns, so that it acts like a strap wrench as you unscrew the nut - tightening it's grip. Grab the end of the towel in the vise, and use the wrench with steady pressure. Do NOT put the forend & tube in the vise - just the end of the towel.

B.

Johnch
01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I looked
No need for a wrench on dad's
Just use the pin to turn the tube

John

Eutectic
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
We are talking two different subjects here guys...... I think dano wants to take the forend wood off the metal slide bar/tube. What is explained for taking the gun 'down' is something else (and correct for doing that)

Eutectic

dano599
01-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Hi all, I finally got it off . I really appreciate you guys pitching and helping me with your experience. It's nice to know people care to help. I got the buttstock stripped tonight using a method a guy on Utube uses with old military guns. All u use is hot water crudcutter and baking soda, it really does the job easily and with no mess like strippers have, no smell either. I tried to put the shortcut on here but it won't let me for some reason. Anyway , if you want to try it, just search Utube under gunstock refinishing and the guy goes by the name of Iraqveteran8888