PDA

View Full Version : Is nothing sacred anymore?

Matt_G
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
While smelting (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102416) earlier this week, look what I found floating with the clips of one batch.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/downloads/Smelting/Smelting-WW-007.jpg

First iron truck weight I've seen. It's a 6 oz. weight. I was really hoping not to start seeing those for a while longer.
Oh well, at least that was the ONLY bad weight in that bucket.

starbits
01-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Actually looking at the photo it looks like a "ZN" on it which would make it a zinc ww not iron.

Starbits

DeanWinchester
01-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Yup.

But I have found a type that come on new euro-trash cars that are magnetic. And no it ain't the clip:wink:

Matt_G
01-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Actually looking at the photo it looks like a "ZN" on it which would make it a zinc ww not iron.

Starbits

I looked real hard at it and there was no "Zn" on it. On the left was stamped 6.0 for 6 ounce. I should have put a magnet to it, but I didn't and it went out with the rest of the scrap.

EDIT:
You know, after looking at the original photo which is still at high resolution, I think you are right about Zn being in the middle there.
I'll be dipped. I looked and I didn't see it. Guess I need those glasses after all. :groner:

wheezengeezer
01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
At least you found it floatin.

*Paladin*
01-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Don't feel bad letting one zinc weight slip thru the cracks. I 've caught a few floating out of the last couple buckets of WW's I've smelted. And that's after I had went thru all of the weights culling out the zinc and steel. I am so paranoid of zinc that I won't leave the pot. As soon as the WW's go molten I'm fluxing and skimming!

old turtle
01-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I just went through two 45 pound boxes of wheel weights. I use the pliers method to test unknown weights. I found that about 20 percent were zinc or iron. There were only a few iron regular weights. Most zinc was marked but I did find a few that were not. I go through one by one because of loosing a good deal of alloy a number of years ago.

22Short
01-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I am lucky I can get lead at all here in California. Real good tire dealer near me, sells ww's in buckets for $20. On the plus side, it's still mostly lead. But I'd better check every individual weight! Then watch the pot! Only missed one weight so far, found it floating. Last time I went to the dealer the guys that work there loaded the buckets into my car for me. What they picked were almost all stick on weights. I made those into very nice looking almost pure ingots for future slugs...