PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 356637?

DeanWinchester
01-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Anyone here use this mold? I have been wanting a hollow point mold and I got one for Christmas. Haven't opened it yet, I need to tidy up a few other projects first, but I am chomping at the bit to get started. Never casted from a HP mold before.

All my lead comes from wheel weights. I have always water dropped. I wonder what I shouldn't be air cooling these instead??? Maybe get them a bit softer.

johnly
01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I have this mold as well as the other in the series. My advice is to run your lead hotter than normal and fill the mold from a ladle so you can get a quick hot fill.

John

Ben
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Ditto John's remarks !

That pin MUST be kept hot in order to get good nose fill out.

fuddyduddy
01-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I have the 4-cavity version of this bullet, but under that number I see no listing from Lyman that it is available in HP. Can we verify that we are talking about the same design? Mine is a 147 gr 9mm pistol bullet with bevel base.

BCall
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Here it is.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=7

DeanWinchester
01-02-2011, 03:13 AM
I think I'll make a hanger or something to let me keep the pin dipped in my pot while I am emptying the mold.

I'm more so curious about personal experiences with the bullets performance. Obviously everyone's mileage will vary, but I'm still interested.

sewerman68
01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I have always wanted one of those in 360. I wonder if there would be any interest in the group buy section.

fuddyduddy
01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry for the slow response. I'm a newbee, so please be patient with my fumbling about.

Anyway, to the query about experience with this mould: None with the HP version, but lots with the standard (non-HP) version. I purchased the 4-cavity variant early in my experience with loading on a Dillon 550B. The idea was to be able to cast a large quantity quickly of a single design that could be used in several .357"~.358" cartridges, from 9x19 through .358 Win., all with wheel weight alloy. Weight from the gitgo was actually 158 gr, not the listed 147 gr. What I experienced was a lot of leaded bores and revolver forcing cones, never mind the sizing diameter nor velocity range. Eventually, an 11/32" (.344") drill was used to eliminate the bevel base, thereby converting all 4 cavities to a .35 GC shank. That solved the leading problem! With this conversion, it has become my primary 9x19 practice load. It also works acceptably in most .38 SPL and .357 Mag applications for light target loads. It has been useless in rifles, I think because it does not carry enough lube in its single groove.

nascarkent
01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I have this mold in a 4 banger also, mine drop .358 with my alloy Range lead /WW
I use it in 38/357 and 9mm I haven't had any leading problems with it. I don't care for the large bevel base but it works. I was shocked at the weight 156 grains