PDA

View Full Version : Brass Scrounging ?

BOOM BOOM
05-23-2005, 09:27 AM
HI,
As I scrounge range brass I thought I'd ask if anyone has done the same and found significant differences in brass w/ simular headstamps.
I have found that Federal, WW, R-P, F-C, Frontier ect. in 30/06 do have different wts. & believe they have different case capacity as a result.
I suspect REM/UMC. , R-P large letters, R-P small letters, REM., UMC., after trimming ,inside neck reaming, primer pocket reaming, ALL HAVE DIFFERENT CASE CAPICATY TOO ?
Do R-P 270, R-P 280, & R-P 30/06 have SUGNIFACANTLY different case capacities after trimming, inside neck reaming, primer flash hole reaming, & fire formin. if they are all R-P large letters ECT.?

NVcurmudgeon
05-23-2005, 10:58 AM
I have weighed a lot of cases and found much variation between brands, and between lots of the same brand. The theory is that if the material is the same, the difference in weight can only reflect differences in capacity. I never did any capacity measurements because it is difficult and messy, but for competition I do weigh cases. It is also a good idea to use all the same cases when working up full power loads, for safety reasons. OTOH, for "minute of beer can" plinking loads, I have better things to do with my time than weigh cases.

beagle
05-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Unless you have brass from the same lot, it will all be like that and then sometimes, even in the same lot.

I think most of the people on here are brass scroungers so we live with it.

R-P brass for rifles is crap. Neck turn a bunch and you'll see that the necks are very uneven. WW is okay and so is Federal./beagle

StarMetal
05-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree with you Beagle that R-P is junk for rifles and I'd rather have Win, but I've had way too many once fired Federal rifle casing get loose primers. I was told, on this forum in fact, that it is of an opinion, that Federal, anymore, is made for a one time firing....of the factory load. I believe it.

Joe

felix
05-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Want indestructable primer pockets? Want pockets which take a sledge hammer to install? The answer: Wolf brand steel cases! Those cases cannot be killed with any load you want to shoot! Must be hand primed; the cases will destroy an auto reloader, so don't even attept it. ... felix

Ken O
05-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Want indestructable primer pockets? Want pockets which take a sledge hammer to install? The answer: Wolf brand steel cases! Those cases cannot be killed with any load you want to shoot! Must be hand primed; the cases will destroy an auto reloader, so don't even attept it. ... felix

Just wondering what the difference would be for auto reloading and hand. When the Wolf stuff first came out everyone was saying it would ruin the dies, which proved to be wrong by some who went ahead and did it anyways. Isn't this stuff originally loaded on auto loading equipment?
I shoot three different competitions, so I have massive amounts of brass to reload, when your done shooting, others in your squad pick your brass, of course brass from other shooters gets mixed in. After tumbling, I run it though the Dillon, and I find most the Wolf and discard it, but over the years a few hundred have gone though with no effect at all.
What problem did you or someone you acutally know have?

felix
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
It's the primer pockets in the Wolf ammo. Too tough to insert a new primer with the auto prime setups. Might break something. The cases themselves are fine to reload, provided they still have the epoxy coating. ... felix

BOOM BOOM
05-25-2005, 03:38 PM
HI,
As soon as I hit the post button I knew I wrote that the wronge way.
But I had not figured out how to edit a post yet so let it ride.
I use only WW brass for J-bullets & serious hunting.
I use only R-P large letters for load dev. for cast. Then after that I use any of the Rem. family of head stamps as it w/ be close enough for plinking.
All other brass in the 06 family go to my heathen children as I have come to realize they DON'T APREACIATE THE FINER THINGS IN LIFE ( HUNTING & SHOOTING).
About 30 yrs. ago I wieghed FED., F-C, WW, R-P, & found they were all diff. wts. And from my reading knew that the bench resters not only limited themselves to 1 production lot ,but often 1 box, some to just 1 brass per match. SO OPPS STUPID QUESTION, ALREADY KNEW THE ANSWER. Just didn't engage brain before "mouth".

Ed Barrett
05-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I used to shoot with a guy down in south Missouri who used one case and filled a notch in the extractor grove so he would always align it the same way for a match. He took home the candy most of the time so I guess it worked OK. reloading the same case also gave the barrel plenty of time to cool. He kept pre weighed powder in little medicine bottles.

BOOM BOOM
05-30-2005, 10:32 PM
HI,
I think I just found some of the crap brass.
It's headstamp is 7MM REM. MAG. then a line to a 1/2 circle above & surrounding a 2 with a . under the 2 and then another line.
Don't know what brand it is but the case necks will not size down and hold a bullet after the second firing. WIERD!

BOOM BOOM
06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
HI,
Well I've shot FC, REM., UMC., REM./UMC., R-P, PETERS, FRONTIER, FED., S&W, BROWING, HEARDERS, WW, WINCHESTER, SUPER-X, SURPER SPEED,PMC, ETC. ALL HAVE GONE THROUGH SEVERAL RELOADS.
Except the new 7MM MAG brass i just found.
My favorite brass is WW., but i've been using anything in the winchester family for j-bullets. I have moved to using only the remington family brass for cast.

BOOM BOOM
08-02-2005, 12:02 AM
HI,
I've shot many fed. brass many times, but this was in the past. Were you referring to brass produced after 2000?
When was the crap brass 1st observed?

StarMetal
08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Boom Boom

Yes, after 2000. Someone on the board here said that Federal made it for onetime factory use and that's it. Like I said, my late brother had 270 and only shot Federals and Remingtons and he gave me his once fired brass. No problems at all with the Remingtons, but the primers (any brand) fell out of the Federals after the second firing. I throw them away now,not wasting my time on them.

Joe