PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Scopes

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I would like to get some optics for my Beretta Neos, it has a weaver rail so I wont have to buy any mounts. I want something that I can shoot squirrels with reliably out to 50? yards. It is a good pistol, but it would be better with a scope or red dot or holo sight. Any suggestions?? Preferably something under 200$ !!

Doc Highwall
01-01-2011, 02:31 PM
If I recall you are young. My first suggestion is don't get the frame of mind that you have to have a scope to shoot good groups. I would suggest practising a lot on sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Technology is great but don't let it be a crutch to learning a skill that takes time and dedication to learn. Self discipline will go a long way. I and others here have seen where people have spent a lot of time trying to get the perfect load for their gun instead of learning to shoot.

joeb4065
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I just put an ultra dot (30mm) on my 475, is great. Allows a very precise aiming point. Was about $150 from midway.

fecmech
01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd second what Doc said. You've got young eyes and can see the sights. Learn how to shoot with irons, the pistols are much nicer that way. If I could still see the sights well I'd can the dots off all my handguns! For .22's the $30 Tasco dots work just fine.
From some of your other posts I think you are getting too far ahead of yourself. Take you Neo's, buy the cheapest ammo you can get (it and the gun will out shoot you for quite a while)and get some coaching from a good pistol shot. Practice on bullseye targets at least 50' away and learn sight alignment and trigger control. When you can keep 10 shots in the black on a 50' slow fire target at 50' then you might start to think about ammo selection and sighting options.

HeavyMetal
01-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Barska and NC Star both make very inexpensive dot sights the heads up display type.

Saw one at big 5 here in LA for $39.00 and it would work very well on the Neos plus give up some training for the day when you need to dot scope a race gun for unlimited class USPRA.

Get one of the newer ones that do both red and green dots. I put a green dot on my model 52 smith and it's great! Red dot can be a little difficult to see during the day!

missionary5155
01-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Greetings
I will have to add a + for not going with a scope.
I am 60 and still have excellent vision in my right eye. When hunting, stalking through the brush and woods or crawling up a drain ditch I do not feel hindered at all without a scope. If I can see the target clearly than I know what the firearm and I are capable of. If I need to get closer then I will just patiently have to Injun up a bit more. Most my shots are taken at 35 yards and less and probably most intended shots at less than 25 yards so a scope is of no advantage. Open ground would change that but I hunt the thick stuff.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Ok, I will try to get to the range more and practice. I think that the job and availability of the car will be a good factor in me going more often.

44man
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Good advise. I am 73 and still find it a lot easier to shoot squirrels with open sights.
Next would be a red dot like the Ultra Dot.
Scopes are out for me unless there is a rest for every shot. I won't even use a scope on a revolver for deer, things drive me nuts off hand.

7br
01-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Good trigger control and sight alignment is probably more critical than iron versus glass.

That said, a scope really shines when you are testing ammo. Quality of .22 ammo varies wildly. I would suggest you buy a half dozen boxes of decent quality ammo and do some bench testing. I have had good results with RWS, Aguila, and Eley although the eley gave me extraction problems in a revolver and a contender. When you find something that works, buy as much of it as you can. A brick is good, a case would be better. Store it where it doesn't get over 90 degrees or so.

I am not familiar with the sights on the Neo. Most factory sights are not the best. The three dot system is easy to use and gets on target quickly, but probably is not the most accurate. I prefer a flat black rear with a square notch. Front sight needs to have a rectangular cross section with the top being level and straight with nice crisp edges. The human brain excels at put things in line (Top of front sight with top of rear sight for elevation control) and at centering objects (equal light showing on each side of the front sight in the rear notch for windage control)

Any magnification over 2 or 3x messes with me when I am shooting in an unsupported position. I usually remember trigger control for the first shot or two. After that, I tend to jerk the trigger when the crosshairs wander through the center of the target.

Just my experience and your mileage may vary.

44man
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Ammo testing is a must because of different twist rates.
I had several single shot pistols for silhouette and they loved RWS, etc, target rounds.
But my Ruger's hate any target ammo and do best with CCI Blue Tag Mini Mag HP's.
I shoot a lot of Fed bulk HP's but there are those bloopers every now and then. Winchester bulk has the most bloopers and failures to fire.

crabo
01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Another thing to remember is that you are 15 or 16, and you are discussing gear with people who are adults, have jobs, some of them real good jobs, and have way more disposable income than you.

So instead of getting caught up in an equipment race that you can't afford, work hard to make the equipment that you do have work for you. Practice offhand shooting and working on your fundamentals like trigger control and stance. Find some fun targets. I shoot at hunters pistol silhouettes, cut from white posterboard and taped to blue posterboard. It is a lot of fun and challenging when you can't shoot steel.

Oh yeah, get a job!

JSH
01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Ditto on the ammo thoughts. Not a thing wrong with cheap bulk stuff, IF it shoots well. .22Rf can and are some finecky devils. The Neo has or had a wild twist compared to other .22's. Your reults may be not as good as some would lead you to beleive. Fro the one I know of personally the Neos will shoot the heavy subsonic loads well.
jeff

firefly1957
01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Some of you are doing much better than I my eyes at 53 are giving me fits with iron sights.
On scopes I had a expensive 4X scope on a XP-100 that was had to much eye relief but was Correct for my Contender so I got a NC star scope which I have been very happy with. The distance is just a couple inches but enough to make aiming difficult with the Remington.

http://www.kapowwe.com/SPB2732B.html this is the link

aaalaska
01-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Agreed when the eyes start going a scope can be a real blessing. Also agree the first step is practice, practice, practice. My suggestion would be go with cheap ammo that is reliable,(goes bang) sit down at a rest and shoot a few groups, that will be your benchmark ,when you can hold very close to the same groups without the rest, your on your way.
Alex

Doc Highwall
01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. When you can shoot a good group at 25 yards off a rest move out to 50 yards and do the same. The purpose of the rest is to keep the gun still while you learn sight alignment and trigger squeeze. After you have learned sight alignment and trigger squeeze then you can learn shooting off hand. Be patient and learn the proper steps, not bad habits and it will pay off with big dividends in the end. The only shot that is important is the one you are shooting now.

bbailey7821
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I've got a 4x NC Star on my 30 carbine BH. I would recommend it.

NVScouter
01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Get a Red Dot with a 30mm+ tube. Great for jump shooting Jackrabbits and such. If you want a scope no more then 2X for the .22 and fine crosshairs.