PDA

View Full Version : Taurus

NSP64
01-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I was looking at a Taurus 357 either a new model 66 or 627. Anyone have one of them? They are both 7 shots. The only difference I see is one is ported. I had a old blued 6 shot 66 years ago and really liked it.

Poygan
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't have one of the seven shots but I recently bought a used model 689 from a friend. The good news: its very accurate. The bad news: about one FTF in six rounds because of light primer strike. Added a small washer (pop rivet type) to compress the spring a bit but still experiencing some problems. This is in cooler weather with CCI primers. I have one other slight modification to try before I switch to Federal primers.

BTW: Taurus seems uncertain whether to spell Brazil that way or Brasil....

thegreatdane
01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Remington Primers seem pretty soft as well.

mtnman31
01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I've got a Tracker in .357. I love it. It is very accurate and I have never had a problem with it. The gun was a bargain in my book - it costs much less than a comparable pistol from the competition but has performed every bit as good I would have expected from any other gun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the gun again and would highly recommend that if possible you shoot one to see for yourself.

This is usually the point when people come out of the wood work to say how much they despise Taurus. Taurus is like Lee, people seem to be very polarized and opinionated with these brands.

shawnsmc
01-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I got a model 66 7 shot and it shoots great. I put a scope on it and it is a real tack driver. But like Poygan I will get a FTF once in a while when I shoot it double action. I would stay away from the 24/7 in 45 ACP picked one up a few months ago and it will fail to feed every other round. Sent it back to Taurus and got it back a couple of weeks ago and it worked great until I shot about 200 rounds, now its back to jamming every other round again. :-( Hope this helps

docone31
01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I have found, the Taurus in .45ACP is pretty good on loads, but, it gets real picky with certain 230gn loads, depending on the powder. My Taurus loves all day long 200RFN by Lee. That and Blue Dot poweder.
No more FTFs with no modding. 230s and it jams up every other round. The casting gets caught chambering.

357shooter
01-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I have a 66 6inch that's an awesome gun. It has about 8,000 boolits through it an works great. It does prefer Federal Primers, but so do I so it worked out well. Sorry the pics came out sooo big. It just worked that way.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/prgallo/RedDot66SS6002.jpg

Here's a good group at 25yards off a rest:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/prgallo/700XTests011.jpg

Phillip
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
I have found, the Taurus in .45ACP is pretty good on loads, but, it gets real picky with certain 230gn loads, depending on the powder. My Taurus loves all day long 200RFN by Lee. That and Blue Dot poweder.
No more FTFs with no modding. 230s and it jams up every other round. The casting gets caught chambering.

I just had a PT-845 follow me home for a really good price and this one of the things I was going to ask about.

Have you tried a 200TC? Dose Taurus bulge the case at the bottom?

You know, a few years ago, I would have never looked a Taurus. But after my Rossi 92 leaver buy, I figured I try one. It seams that they have come full circle on the quality for the price.

GRUMPA
01-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Well I don't have 1 of the new 7 shot types but I have the 669CP type in 357. Can't really come up with a gripe about it. Never had a mis-fire never gave me 1 bit of troubles at all. Love to shoot the thing it'll digest anything I put thru it, and thats only been reloads. Very accurate shooter, shot so well the other half got me the 44mag model when they came out but I really haven't shot it as much as the 669CP. The 44 I consider a hand cannon with it's 8 3\8" barrel, but when I did shot the thing it seemed like people were attracted to it like a moth to a flame wondering where all the noise was coming from, that thing with a comp is very loud.

Jim
01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I have one of the first 4" Judges that were made. They don't make the 4" anymore. I'm very happy with mine and carry it regularly around the farm.

Freightman
01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
What a relief, there is another site that the very mention of Taurus brings you under heavy artillery attack. This is even from the owner of the site, makes you feel like you are an idiot, which I may be but don't like to be reminded of it

shawnsmc
01-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info docone31, I had some 185gr. XTP's siting on the shelf so I loaded them up today and went to the range and low and behold not one single problem at all. Had some cast Lyman 452460 200gr. SWC loaded up and those had a little trouble feeding but I think I might need to adjust the COL. I think I might keep that 24/7 after all. Thanks.

Cowboy T
01-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Prgallo is a showoff! :mrgreen:

I've fired the 6-shot, fixed-sight version of the same gun (Taurus Model 65). Very good gun, very good accuracy.

357shooter
01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Hey Cowboy, Happy New Year! You've been laying low lately, good to see you back in the mix.

Whitworth
01-03-2011, 08:02 AM
What a relief, there is another site that the very mention of Taurus brings you under heavy artillery attack. This is even from the owner of the site, makes you feel like you are an idiot, which I may be but don't like to be reminded of it

The problem is that they seem to be more hit or miss than other manufacturers. I personally would like to get my hands on a Tracker to play around with.

Freightman
01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
The problem is that they seem to be more hit or miss than other manufacturers. I personally would like to get my hands on a Tracker to play around with.
I do not mind them trashing the pistol but why the person, he didn't make it!

Archer
01-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I have the 66 in 357 Mag, with a 6" barrel, 7 shot, and as said above, It is very accurate.
I have no complaint's at all with the gun. I also have the Taurus model 85 in 38 special +P. It also is a very good handgun, and I would buy another one in a heart beat, if i came my way.

jeff100
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Not sure what the model number is, but I have a Taurus .357 snubby in stainless I bought used at a gun show several years ago. I love it, it's amazingly accurate with factory jaxatid ammo and that's shooting it double action. It's become one of my favorite carry guns. All my wheel guns are Rugers cept for this Taurus. Guess that makes me a Ruger man, but I wouldn't have any problem with getting another Taurus or recommending one. IMO they're a good value for the money.

Jeff

NSP64
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
well I went to a local gun shops ,and stimulated the economy . I purchased a new taurus 627 4 inch . I looked at the 608 and 66 . The 627 4" just felt better.I will post results when I shoot it .thanks for all the info.

NSP64
01-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Picked up my new 627. Looks like taurus got it mostly right. Cylinder throats are all .360 , barrel slugs .358! No constriction at the frame.
Overall fit and finish is excellant.

Down sides are hammer spring is heavy, and the porting was rough in the barrel.

So, I didn't like the "ribber" style grips. I replaced them with Hogues and dropped in an after market hammer spring. I will post target pics tomorrow.

bigfoot
01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
i have a taurus that will FTF if i dont only use fed primers in it. I have shot maybe 300 rds. with the fed primers an no FTF with them. Thats the only pistol that i have to use the fed primers in

NSP64
01-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Finally got to the range. Using .38 spl cases (mixed headstamps) I loaded my lee 105gr swc(110 gr lubedr wdww, speed green lube) over progessively increasing charges of Unique.6.0-8.5 gr, lit off by winchester small pistol primers. The best load was 8.5 gr.(1.5"@25yrds off the bench open sights) chrono said 1365 fps from my 4" tube.

The boolits cast .360 so I left them unsized. I loaded them so the front driving band was into the case then roll crimped them.
I'm happy considering it was 18*F with winds 20 mph for a wind chill of 0*( at 2pm).

The club I shoot at has two concrete benches that are not covered, and 12 benches that are covered. Now I normally shoot from the uncovered benches, but today I chose the little protection the cover offered. I sent my chrono out in front to use what little light there was. First round sent down aused an avalanche onto the chrono. LOL. Luckily the snow we had was lite and fluffy. After a good shake off, the chrono worked fine.
That ported barrel sure made it easy to shoot, but LOUD under the awning.

357shooter
01-12-2011, 09:55 PM
NSP64; The Tracker looks like a great gun. Have you every compared one with a model 66? Taurus lists the 66 as medium frame and the 627 as compact. But it they may be about the same.

Anyone know how they compare?

NSP64
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I went to the gun shop and compared the taurus 608, 66, &627 tracker. The 608 was HUGE. And the barrel was counter bored then ported. The 66 & 627 have the same size frame around the cylinder,:castmine: but the 66 has a medium style grip frame (like a S&W 19). The tracker has a thin profile (compact ) grip frame like a Ruger super redhawk. The tracker also has the ports directly into the bore / rifleing.

357shooter
01-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info.

Poygan
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I loaded 18 rounds with CCI primers, 18 with Remington magnums and 18 with Federals. With the CCIs, 4 out of the first 6 didn't fire and the remaining 12 did. Both the Remington and Federal fired. The two CCIs did fire on the second hit later. The temperature was 20 degrees.

I couldn't fit a second washer on the spring - not enough space. I did stone the hammer very lightly so that it would go forward a bit more.

NSP64
01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I smoothed up the sides of the hammer spring guide and took two coils off of spring. It is lighter and smoother DA . No FTF on the winchester standard SP primers.