PDA

View Full Version : Good comp gun

Arisaka99
12-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok guys, Im looking into starting to shoot USPSA and I was looking at new pistols. The minimum is 9mm in autos or .38spl. What would be a good gun that wouldnt break the bank and would have readily available parts? At a local gunshop they have a Keltec 9mm for 210, but I dont have that kind of money. Plus my mom said no more guns. Just figured I'd ask and see what you guys thought.

HeavyMetal
12-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Your Mom??

Dude!!!

Phillip
12-31-2010, 10:10 PM
When I used to shoot PSA matches, I went with a Colt 45 over 38 Super. 9mm was just starting to come into play at that time, there were few mods and they were expensive.

The other reason I went with it, was the older guys I talked before I started, would tell me that for a beginner it was the best platform for modding. You can do allot of the mods your self and what you could not, there always was a gunsmith that could.

Now when I first started out, my 45 was stock, I did not start to mod it until I had a few matches under my belt. It also allowed me to spend a little more on my holster, mag holders and a solid belt.

DIRT Farmer
12-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Wife, mom, the system works the same. You gotta put roses up first, then the gun idea. Check the collages that offer scholarships for shooting, then you tell her you have to compete to get the scholarship so the gun is not a want but an educational need.
If you can pull that off, take poly-sci. Then run for president when you are old enough.

My oldest son did very well starting with a S&W Mdl 10 HB in 38spl, it was a used police gun.

HammerMTB
12-31-2010, 11:09 PM
I own a KelTec P-11, and have shot UPSPA. I can tell you you'd need a mighty strong trigger finger to stroke that Keltec for 200 rounds a day. And I've been to a few matches that went 300+ rounds. You definitely DON'T want a Keltec for USPSA.
A M1911 would be a great choice as a first gun. You can get anything that will go bang reliably and shoot stock and have lots of fun. But you ain't gonna do it for under $200.
Better go find another zero for your shopping. Not just for the gun, but for all the other things you're gonna have to have to shoot.
When I shot every month, I went thru 1500-2000 rounds a month.
Do the math. It ain't a poor man's sport.

Arisaka99
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, i talked to her about it and she said get a job, so I said ok, no problem!!! I want a Kimber Crimson Carry Pro, and of course I would reload, so I would save some money.

KYCaster
12-31-2010, 11:59 PM
OK, I'll start with a few questions.

When you say "comp gun" I assume you mean competition gun and not compensated gun. Big difference. Compensated = Open Division, not for the budget conscious.

Are you old enough to legally possess a handgun? (Not trying to be negative, it's relevant to the discussion.)

Do you currently have a handgun? If so, what is it?

Do you reload?

If you don't have any equipment at all then probably the cheapest way to get started is with a used Glock 9mm. You could certainly use the Keltec in Production Division, but magazines, and holsters are not as readily available and you would soon "out grow" the Keltec and start looking to trade up to something "more competitive". Better to spend more now than lose on the trade later. "mom said no MORE guns." So take something you have and trade for the Glock you want.

If you're not old enough to buy the gun yourself, you'll have to have you're mom buy it and go to the matches with you because you can't legally "possess" the gun without your guardian there. Tell her it's a great place to meet guys who have lots of disposable income. [smilie=l:

Go to the USPSA website and check out the youth program. They'll help you find belt, holster, mag pouches and other gear at very reasonable prices and maybe introduce you to somebody local who can help.

Take your new(used) Glock, two magazines, and two hundred rounds of ammo to the next match near you. Go early and find the guy in charge (he's the one working his butt off to get the match ready to shoot), introduce yourself, tell him your situation and ask him to point out someone who could help you with holster and mag pouches. You'll find no end of people who will loan you gear and give advice.

Plan to stay after the match is over. Thank everyone who helped you and then help them clean up the range and stow the equipment. Show them that you're willing to help out and they will return the favor.

Good luck.
Jerry

KYCaster
01-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Well, i talked to her about it and she said get a job, so I said ok, no problem!!! I want a Kimber Crimson Carry Pro, and of course I would reload, so I would save some money.

If this is for USPSA then forget the laser, its useless for competition.

Jerry

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Are you not allowed to use lasers in USPSA?

KY, yes i have a pistol, its in my mom's name. Its a Beretta Neos .22. I could trade my mossberg 185K and some cash for a used glock and mags. I have tried to look on the website, but I have no idea what im looking for. What kind of pistol dies should I get? Carbide or regular? I will probably be shooting at Blackwater or the Norfolk County Rifle Range.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
oh, and no, im 15

KYCaster
01-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Not that lasers aren't allowed, just no advantage over iron sights. Much more difficult to use as a matter of fact.

Unfortunately there's not much useful info on the website till you join USPSA and get access to the members' area.

Try http://www.uspsa-juniors.org/index.html . E-mail Mike McCarter (junior program coordinator...link at the top of the menu on the left) and ask him to send you some info. Also ask if there's anyone in your area who's active in the junior program.

If there's anything else I can help with, just ask.

Jerry

derek45
01-01-2011, 01:51 AM
find a used GLOCK 17 and start out in "production" division

You'll need a solid holster and about 6 mags

or a 1911 and sign up for "single stack" division

if you can't afford that, get a second job because shooting IPSC eats up alot of ammo:drinks:

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, i will have to wait until augustwhen i turn 16. I have asked around about jobs w/ a work permit, but everyone says 16 or older.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 10:12 AM
What is the cheapest I could get a used 17 for? Not trying to sound cheap, just on a REALLY tight budget!!! Thanks for all your help guys!!!

HeavyMetal
01-01-2011, 11:30 AM
If you can touch a Glock for under 350 your doing well.

Don't care for them myself but the advantage is everyone else thinks thier great! So holsters mag and such are fairly inexpensive as gun things go.

Knowing what I know now if I was your age and starting out I think I'd save a few more bucks and get a Taurus 1911. I believe these are available in 9mm if the 45 "scares" you.

Older guys are getting out of the "game" so a lot of single stack gear will be even more plentiful and cheaper.

I also think KY caster has the straight skinny for you! Join USPSA get in touch with the guy in charge of the junior divison before you buy anything.

By offering to work a match or two you'll get to see what goes on behind the scenes, what works and what doesn't and, much better, you may hear of a gun deal you can afford.

Such things have happened!

Good luck.

exile
01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I concur with the used Glock recommendation. I would say used Glock 34, but then I don't know anything about USPSA rules. I have no complaints about my Glock 17.

As far as jobs go, there is always doing odd jobs etc.,. My wife and I are old enough that we are always looking for people to mow the lawn, shovel snow etc.,. (My first job was helping a guy put in insulation at 15).

I don't want to sound preachy, but nothing says, "Hey mom, I'm ready to shoot in competition" like good grades. All I am saying is, while you're at all this other stuff, keep up with the schoolwork.

I don't shoot competition, but it seems like going to matches you might run across a guy with a good used gun to sell.

(Ephesians 3:20).

exile

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Well, that is part of the job deal too. All my grades are good except my geometry grade.

Von Dingo
01-01-2011, 01:48 PM
On the subject of work and odd jobs. Work as many matches as you can, get to know folks, grab your sharpie and make your own will work for guns t-shirt after you work a few matches. It may start conversations, or if you have a good work ethic, and have impressed the regulars/range staff, you may get "sponsored". Stranger things have happened.

I know a couple of guys (one's a member on this forum) who's gotten payment in guns for doing jobs for people. Maybe you can come up with a keeper, or at least some trading stock.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Thats a good ides Von, thanks !! Now I just have to talk to the madre and see if she will drive me to the matches!! ;)

45r
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
The best auto for the money I've used is a base model Kimber 45.I was going to have some custom stuff done to it by a gunsmith who recomended getting a Kimber to start with.It shot great right out of the box.I found a load that shot 1 inch at 25 with 200 grain xtp's.I once got a 3 leaf clover group at 50 yards that really made me happy and a shooting partner with me was really impressed.The next 2 opened up the group to 2 inchs.I haven't done nothing to it,good enough for me.If you get a Kimber I think you would be happy.I got a wilson mag for mine and shoot keith 201 boolits over unique,not as accurate but same point POA.The 1911 may be an old design but still is the best IMHO.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
45, how much was your kimber?

Von Dingo
01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
My pleasure Chris,

If you get in at the local club, someone at the local club may be happy to have the company during the ride.

Marc

NSP64
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Arisaka99, The best thing for you to get would be a good used .38 spl. for under $300.00. You can cast and load very accurate loads for them. Then get into some production class matches, to get your feet wet. Auto loaders are something you can work up to.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Guys, ther is a Glock 17 for 252 on GB right now, it looks to be in good condition.

NSP64
01-01-2011, 02:48 PM
and how much for a new barrel to shoot cast?

Dannix
01-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, you need to make sure you don't end up with some hidden costs. You want to avoid ending up with a polygonal barrel that you will need to replace with a "conventional" rifling barrel.

No offense mate, but you got to major on the majors and minor on the minors. Right now, playing/gaming with firearms sounds for like a nicety that may be imprudent to invest essentially all your monetary funds on. This sport requires a lot of upfront, initial expenditure, and at this stage in life, you'll be hit with a lot of upfront costs that are quite simply more important.

My recommendation? Get a job asap, even if you're just flipping hamburgers. (Make sure you don't compromised school. Ace school. Own it. Invest your time and energy into it. If you can't do so and hold a job at the same time, only work summers and Christmas break.) Set aside a percentage that you make, after taxes, maybe 10%, to firearms and then buy gear after you saved up. Pay your mom for the fuel when she drives you to and from work or at least to and from play. Maybe you can't even set aside that 10% to firearm play as you're going to need to invest it in a car. So be it. Get some good and reliable, like a old civic or maxima or something, and maintain it and hang on to it for the next 10 years or something. It may take you some time before you've been able to set aside discretionary pending funds to get into firearms sport. So be it. Be a man. Meet your responsibilities; play later. Once you have earned enough that you have some money that you can play with while still being responsible, perhaps you can look into if your local matches will let you participate as an outlaw so you can use a Walther/Sig/Ruger 22LR pistol, so your ammo costs will be cheap without having to spending the significant upfront costs required for reloading and casting.

Just some thoughts. I just wan to encourage you to man up to your responsibilities before you start playing, and don't make playing a responsibility, mixing up your priories. Your graduating from kid status to man status. Your mom needs a man, not an overgrown kid.

Probably not the help you were looking for, but I hope it is a help and an encouragement to keep you on the right track. As for firearms, when you do have the opportunity to pursue them in a way not detrimental to or sacrificing your responsibilities, look into the 22LR route, otherwise you could look for a used revolver from summitgunbroker, something surplus from aimsurplus, or a cw9 or good cheaper 1911. Check out hinterlandoutfitters.com for online shopping. Make sure that when you do spend money, that it's on something quality. Otherwise you'll end up wasting your money on junk likely end up spending more in the end.

HTH

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, I dont know what a good cheaper 1911 would be. Rock Island, are they a good mfgr? What I did was go on GB and type in 1911 and made the max price 400, and it came up with all kinds of guns.
I would like to get a 1911, but I have never shot a .45, just a 9mm and a .40S&W. I have also shot a .38 snub. IDR what model it was. Either a Colt or a S&W. I dont think handling it would be a problem. I have a press to reload on, just I would need dies and a mold and a sizer, and a new barrel which Wolf sells relatively cheap IIRC.

bhn22
01-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Ask your questions here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Any question you might think of has been answered at Brian Enos. I believe there may even be a juniors section, I haven't looked.

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 08:48 PM
im a part of brian enos, I need to find out what section I should put it in.

derek45
01-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Ask your questions here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Any question you might think of has been answered at Brian Enos. I believe there may even be a juniors section, I haven't looked.

+1000

Brian enos forum is THE PLACE for IPSC

Arisaka99
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I was just on Brian Enos and found a whole thread on things about USPSA for newbs. ;)