PDA

View Full Version : 1000 grain magnetic scales?

500bfrman
10-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I need a scale that has 1000 grain capability. I am looking at the lyman's and the RCBS. The RCBS is the most expensive by far, is it worth it? There are two lymans one for 50something and one for 70something. I can't see a difference between them. Does anyone have any input on the subject at hand for me?

Lyman Pro 1000 is $52
Lyman 1000 is $80
RCBS 1010 is $126

Prices are at midwayusa.

carpetman
10-26-2006, 12:14 PM
500bfrman---You ask an easy question I can help with. Lyman Pro 1000 $52,Lyman 1000 $80 and RCBS 1010 is $126. Whats the difference in Lyman and RCBS you ask? Well it's $74 in the case of the $52 pro 1000 and its $46 in the case of the $80 1000 model. Glad I could help.
Seriously I have an RCBS 5-10 and no complaints nor can I brag that it is any better than the Redding I had. I tend to like RCBS--highly because of their customer service---but if I were shopping for a scale I think I'd go Redding. Dont have a clue what they offer or even if they do in 1000 grain scales.

montana_charlie
10-26-2006, 02:13 PM
The RCBS is the most expensive by far, is it worth it?
I can't answer your question about the 1010 being worth the price. But, I prefer it to all of the others you are looking at.

My first scale was the Lyman 5-10 (like the 500), and it did well, but lacked the extra weight capacity. When I bought my 1010, it still carried the Ohaus name, but it is essentially identical to the current RCBS unit.

In addition to the weight capacity, I really like the dust cover. I don't use the scale daily, and there have been periods when it has sat unused for more than a year at a time.

As with any beam scale that has knives resting on agate bearings, it is important to protect it from vibration when the beam is in place. So, mine sits on a wall-mounted shelf...not on the reloading bench. But to prevent gradual damage to the bearing surfaces from vibration caused by 'you name it' (earthquakes, nail hammering, Irish clogging, etc.) I stow the parts and put the cover on every time I finish weighing. So, this scale has stayed in perfect condition for more than 30 years.

Dividing $126 by 30 years says you'd spend $4.20 per year to use it...if it only lasted that long.

Is it worth that much to you?
CM

carpetman
10-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Montana Charlie----You didnt answer the question. He wanted to know the difference in Lyman and RCBS-----you told him the cost of the $126 Rcbs for 30 years was $4.20 per year---but you did not tell him what the cost of a Lyman would be making the same 30 year assumption. Maybe you didnt do that because you havent had a Lyman for 30 years? I can see that. But you only partially answered it without a Lyman figure. Maybe you could come up with a proration of Lyman vs RCBS life and for example if RCBS lasts 30 and Lyman would be expected to last 27.3 and use that figure to give him the Lyman cost. I don't know what the figure for prorating that would be. Maybe Wills can post a link?

KCSO
10-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Gee
My Lyman 30 years old and I paid $12.00 for it at a gun show. It still works fine and had weighed a ton of lead. Tossing all the numbers around I figure it has cost me .0045378 cents per weigh and...

The only difference I can see is brand preference, if I had any of the three I would be happy for the rest of my life.

mooman76
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
If you are going to spend that much, why not get an electric one?

montana_charlie
10-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Montana Charlie----You didnt answer the question.
You are correct. I did not answer his question, nor compare all aspects of the models he is considering. Twas not my intent...
CM

C1PNR
10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I, too, have an Ohaus 1010 that's over 30 years old. Very accurate scale and I've treated it exactly like montana_charlie.

I'd buy the 1010 again, even at $126 (I think mine was ~$30).

500bfrman
10-26-2006, 05:24 PM
If you are going to spend that much, why not get an electric one?

I don't trust em. But, I am "weighing" the idea :mrgreen:

carpetman
10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=C1PNR;114351]I, too, have an Ohaus 1010 that's over 30 years old. Very accurate scale and I've treated it exactly like montana_charlie.

C1PNR---Treated exactly montana_charlie----what does it drink?

kywoodwrkr
10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Look for one of these!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200035271311
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

mooman76
10-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I don't trust em. But, I am "weighing" the idea :mrgreen:

I like mine and weighed a few items and marked them so I test the accuracy before use. I also keep my old scale as a backup!

montana_charlie
10-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Personally, I don't like digital readouts on anything that measures tiny amounts. Guess I just like to be able to tell that the pointer is a frog hair away from the next increment.

Is it true that the electronic scales need to warm up for a predictable period before they are fully believable?
CM

MT Gianni
10-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Personally, I don't like digital readouts on anything that measures tiny amounts. Guess I just like to be able to tell that the pointer is a frog hair away from the next increment.

Is it true that the electronic scales need to warm up for a predictable period before they are fully believable?
CM

Charlie, I have a LY 1200 and it states to be accurate it needs to warm up for 30 minutes. You can bypass this and I have done so. Ly check weights show no difference between warmed up and instant start. YMMV, Gianni.

BruceB
10-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I am surely an Ol' Dawg, but I do learn the occasional new trick.

When my wife gave me a PACT electronic scale quite a few years ago, it pushed my Ohaus 10-10 to the reserve team. I find the PACT to be an accurate and reliable instrument, and while there's a learning curve in some areas, it's easy to master.

The 10-10 is a very fine scale, too, but the big readout and fast readings on the PACT outweigh whatever tiny increment of better accuracy the Ohaus may possess.

A tenth of a grain plus-or-minus is essentially meaningless to me (and to my rifles), in either powder or bullet. I do calibrate the scale when starting the session, even though I leave the scale "on" all the time. Some loaders refuse to weigh powder charges on electronic scales. I say, do what y'all want, but it's a definite advance in my book and I use it to weigh anything needing weighing. My "check weight" is the scale pan....if it doesn't come in at 147.7 grains, I recalibrate. Other useful checks are any jacketed bullet from major American makers (Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Nosler). If any bullet weighs more than a grain "off" it's stated weight, it's probably the scale!!

The 10-10 does fine work in Der Schuetzenwagen, where I have an adjustable scale shelf with levels for both fore-and-aft and left-to-right.

500bfrman
10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Well, for some of them anyway. :mrgreen: I didn't mean to sound cheap. I don't mind paying for quality I just don't want to pay more than I need too. Looks like lots of people are happy with the 1010, not too many have said much about the Lyman. So looks like it comes down to the 1010 or an electronic. Seems like I have read on here somewhere that all the electronics have basically the same guts in em.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-27-2006, 04:45 PM
The biggest difference between the RCBS (made by Ohaus) 1010 and all the rest is the fine adjustment. I own a Redding, buddy of mine owns the better Lyman. Pretty similar in performance/adjustment. Another buddy owns the RCBS 505. Another nice scale, but not much better.

After having a go at all the better grade of mechanicals, I wish I'd bought an RCBS 1010. That much better fine adjustment is worth the difference in my opinion.

As far as the electronics go, some like em, some don't. My degree is in Electronics Engineering Technology. Some equipment really is better with electronics, some is not. I haven't used the electronic scales much, but I find I really like using a simple beam scale to measure powder. If you can find a stable electronic scale, I'm sure it'd be a good one. Thing is, it'll always need a power source of some kind, which that mechanical scale won't.

So maybe it's the best of both worlds to have both, such as a good mechanical and electronic caliper. Really a nice thing.

BCB
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
500bfrman,

I know this post isn't going to help much, but if you can, by any slim chance, locate a used RCBS 304 scale, that would be my purchase. They have a capacity of 1110 grains. My wife works in a hospital lab and she has allowed me to check my 304 with the weights they use to calibrate some of the older lab scales. The RCBS 304 is absolutely amazing as to how accurate it is! I think RCBS quit making them because the price was cost-prohibitive at the time they were manufactured. Meaning, they didn't sell very many. I don't remember where I came up with the $$$$$ at that time, but I sure am glad I did. Good-luck...BCB

C1PNR
10-27-2006, 11:44 PM
[quote=C1PNR;114351]I, too, have an Ohaus 1010 that's over 30 years old. Very accurate scale and I've treated it exactly like montana_charlie.

C1PNR---Treated exactly montana_charlie----what does it drink?
Hmmmmm, it seems I have again failed to completely convey my thought!

To begin with, it should be understood that montana_charlie and I are ONLY internet acquaintances. As far as I know, he ain't no sheep, and I know fer a fact I ain't no sheepherder!! And besides, I don't have any high top boots either!

But to get back to the point, I actually treat my 1010 scale exactly as montana_charlie treats HIS 1010 scale.

That is, I don't allow it to drink water, spirituous liquids, beer, or vino of any kind. In fact, I keep same out of reach of my scale at all times. I wouldn't want it to get wobbly on its feet, know what I mean?;-)

Occasionally I do check it with my Brother's Triple Beam Ohaus, just for kicks. I'm not sure what he uses it for, but I like to just check weigh mine now and then.[smilie=1:

BTW, the Steelheads are gonna win in hockey again this year!!:drinks: