PDA

View Full Version : Savage 340 Scope Base Help

Antietamgw
12-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a beater 340A that is not drilled and tapped for scope mounting. I also have a Weaver #1 Side Mount Base and Low Ring set. I have the tooling and ability to properly drill and tap it but don't know where the base sits on factory drilled rifles. There isn't alot of leeway fore and aft due to the location of the gas port and ejector but I'd like to get it right. I was hoping someone might have one handy and could provide a measurement from say, the front of the receiver ring to the front base screw. Thanks folks!
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/Antietamgw/Savage%20340A/340A.jpg

largom
12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
On my Savage 340 the FRONT base screw is located 1.465 in. from the FRONT of the receiver. Be sure you measure from the receiver and NOT the recoil lug. The measurement is to the center of the screw hole.
Hope this helps.

Larry

Antietamgw
12-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Larry,
Thanks kindly, that's just what I needed. BTW, looks like we are almost neighbors. I used to spend alot of time at Mehrle Devilbiss' place many years back. Have you been out that way long enough to have known him?

fecmech
01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I have a 340 (undrilled) and the same mount. Does the scope end up vertical over the bore or is it offset to the right?? The reason I ask is that if I'm looking at it right the stock, will have to be notched to make room for the mount if the scope is over the bore. You wouldn't be able to post a picture would you? Thanks Nick

Antietamgw
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
The stock will need to be inletted for the base. The scope base should be positioned so the scope is centered over the bore. I THINK that the side of the base should be 90 degrees to the top of the receiver. It appears that if the scope base is set up parallel to the side of the recoil lug or perpendicular (90 degres) to the rear sight dovetail in the barrel, that this should happen. This was just by eyeball and using 2 hands to do a 3 handed job. This assumes that the barrel and recoil lug was installed properly and plumb. There isn't much on the receiver itself to indicate from. I have a piece of 1" round stock that has a hole drilled through with a piece of close fitting 1/4" drill rod, ground to a point, through it. With rifle in a vise, I'll place the 1" stock in the scope rings and adjust base around the reciever so that when the rings,bar stock and 1/4" rod are TDC, the point on the rod centers on the holes in the bottom of the reciever for the trigger housing. A couple small clamps and a dab of Devcon 5 Min epoxy should hold it there long enough to check the setup, then drill and tap. Kind of a PIA but I'd rather spend some extra time in the shop now than forever deal with windage changes at different ranges or having trouble getting a scope sighted in.