PDA

View Full Version : problem finding a Waad for 12GA

dede la pole
12-31-2010, 02:12 PM
[smilie=s: hello

I am facing a problem. I seek to charge the ball LYMAN SABOT SLUG. in the mold box, there is a paper that gives the type of Waad was used, and WINCHESTER WINCHESTER WAA12 WAA12F114. it is impossible to find these components American in France, nobody want to import. I find a site in Italy that sells components. I sent them an email. they told me I had to use Waad Z2M manufactured by Baschieri & pellagra. they forget to give me the model. they have these models. on what I should choose?

here's what they Catalogue

http://www.siarm.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=z2m+12&x=0&y=0

I use this slug

http://x13.xanga.com/366f405a73630263311854/o209898001.jpg

buyobuyo
12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
I've never loaded shotgun before, but if you want the slug fully surrounded by the wad. I would compare the hb measurement given in the item description with the length of the slug and choose accordingly.

hoosierlogger
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
WAA12 wads are one of the most poplar wads here in the states. The bases on those are all different from the WAA12SL wads I have. The wads I have measure 42.50 mm high. If I had to guess I would say the Z2M-24 would be the right fit.

Smoke-um if you got-um
12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
The Z2M-15 looks very similar to the WAA12F114. None of them are similar to the WAA12.

diehard
12-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Mods should move this to the Casting for Shotguns forum....this guy might get better help than me then :) .

dede la pole,

I have loaded quite a number of these Lyman slugs, and while I usually follow published data pretty closely, I have many times substituted other wads made for
1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz target or field loads.

In your situation it is hard for me to speculate about data because you did not mention which hull you are using. If it were me I would find a recipe intended for 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz shot for the hull you have, and just substitute the slug for the shot. Of course you do this at your own risk, and you will also probably not find recipes with velocities above 1300fps using this method (unless you have Longshot powder and Fiocchi hulls! then go to HERE (http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp) to match your hull and wad combo to the velocities you seek). Again you do so at your own risk.

I do this substitution occasionally with straight walled hulls and Federal wad (which work best with the Lyman slugs anyway). It would seem that any Fiocchi or Cheddite recipe for 1 1/4 oz target or field loads would work for you.

Looking at some Fiocchi data field loads data from a Lyman manual, you should get by with the Fiocchi TW12 hull if that is available to you.

Again, not knowing the hull you intend to use, I can only suggest to you to choose the B&P wads intended for either 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz shot and you should be okay. I can't help you with powder charges without knowing more about the hull wad combination.

I hope I have been helpful. I am no expert, by any means. For more clear and intelligent response perhaps you could send a private message to either Turbo1889 or James Gates...members here who actually do know what you will need.

LH

tonyjones
12-31-2010, 04:29 PM
dede la pole,
Check out ballisticproducts.com. They are located here in the States but I believe they ship internationally. They carry B&P, Guilandi anf Fiocchi components as well as many others. They also produce a slug loading manual.
Regards,
Tony

dede la pole
01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
[smilie=s: hello

thank you all for your replies. sorry for the late reply. I had to debug my computer (12GA works very well for this work. ******** Windows).

I placed my order in Italy. I took several component. It remains for me to finalize my customs document. yes, even in Europe for reload features, you need papers[smilie=b:.

once I made components and some cartridges, I would show you the result.

Moonie
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Mandriva Linux works well in place of windows, and its French :D

BCB
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
The measurements of the WAA12F114 are:

Total Height: 40.64 mm (1.6")
Shot Cup Depth: 23.75 mm (0.935")
Base to Bottom of Shot Cup: 17.01 mm (0.67")
Base Diameter: 18.03 mm (0.71")

Hope those numbers help or at least get you near the proper wad…

Good-luck…BCB

davydtune
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
WAA12 wads are one of the most poplar wads here in the states.

Those are what I use with 1 oz Lee slugs and they work great. Don't know if they will work with the Lyman slug though.

DCM
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
I would go to http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ they offer the widest selection of shotshell wads I have seen and have a couple of specialized slug wads.