PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 RCBS 180 gr FN

Ickisrulz
12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm trying my first attempt at casting for rifle.

I have a Sako 75 in .30-06. It has a 1-11 twist. I'm using a RCBS 180 FN bullet with a gas check. With the gas check installed it weights 200.5 grains. I lubed these with Lee liquid Alox and sized them to .311.

I plan on starting with 28 grains of 4895 with .5 grains of dacron filler. Am I on the right track here?

It looks like the gas check will be below the neck when I seat these things. Is this OK?

Thanks.

Blammer
12-31-2010, 01:46 PM
I have no experience with filler, but I don't use any. Sorry no help there.

.311 is a good size to try.

Alox is not my preference for cast and rifle combo, if it leads, I'd change the lube first.

Having the GC below the neck is fine, shouldn't hurt anything. I shoot my 311284 and the GC is below the neck and I get good accuracy.

28gr of your powder is a good place to start.

so yea, basically you've got a good start.

Smoke-um if you got-um
12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
The gas check below the neck is pretty much the rule in a 30-06 with the longer bullets. Will not hurt anything as long as the check is crimped tight and sizing to .311 is plenty tight. 28 gr 4895 is a very light load and my personal preference is approx.1/2 to 3/4 grain of stuffing I get by raiding the grandkid's (and the Jack Russel's) stuffed toys with a load that light. I don't believe you should get any leading at that velocity, my best guess 1500-1600fps, using hardball or Lyman 2. Maybe someone has chrono'd that load and will give you better info. Personally I started using 5744 in just about all gas check loads after seeing Venturino recommend it a long time ago in one of the mags. Doesn't need filler at all and good accuracy/velocity in everything I have. I currently use between 25 and 27 gr in my 30-06's with the alox lube with no leading issues. I happen to use it straight out of the bottle, no thinning and use my fingers to wipe it on. Let them dry and put another coat on. I don't like the lube all over the nose. 25 to 27 gr will give you between 1700 and 2000 fps depending on the rifle. I seat my bullets to just tickle the nose on the rifling. Good Luck