PDA

View Full Version : Lyman top punch??

Sully
12-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Anyone have a part number for a top punch for a .429-240 gr LSWC Lyman sizer die? I suppose about ANY top punch made for that bullet will work...meaning an RCBS or whomever.

Much appreciated!

(Hope this is the right forum??)

wallenba
12-31-2010, 11:41 AM
If you go to the bottom of this page you will see a box "Castpics". Click on that and follow the links to Lyman top punches. Very handy lists there. From that list the #421 seems to be the one you want.
Also can be found on Lyman web site http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=22 Also RCBS top punches will work in the Lyman and vice versa, so check them as well.

12-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is another source.

Sully
12-31-2010, 01:59 PM
If you go to the bottom of this page you will see a box "Castpics". Click on that and follow the links to Lyman top punches. Very handy lists there. From that list the #421 seems to be the one you want.
Also can be found on Lyman web site http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=22 Also RCBS top punches will work in the Lyman and vice versa, so check them as well.

Mucho thanks!

Kskybroom
12-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Should Be RCBS 421 Lyman 421 Lee 43...

John Boy
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Sully:
* Take a piece of heavy aluminum foil
* Fold it to make a small square
* Put some lube on one side of the foil
* Press it into the cavity of your 446 punch
* Lower the handle on your lube/sizer and press the foil onto the nose of the bullet
Instant top punch instead of buying a TP for every bullet type

Mk42gunner
12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
I use a cut down quarter inch bolt for most of my flat nosed boolits.

OF course, I have been accused of being cheap a time or three.

Robert

Sully
12-31-2010, 08:30 PM
I use a cut down quarter inch bolt for most of my flat nosed boolits.

OF course, I have been accused of being cheap a time or three.

Robert

Once I get one in hand to take measurements...I can make my own. I have a "table top" lathe here for making small stuff

Char-Gar
01-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Sully for flat nose pistol bullet many of use use a flat faced nose punch. Just turn one with a flat face big enough to push on the nose of 45. It will also work fine for smaller calibers. Or you can just buy the Lyman 424 which fits the big Keith 45 bullet and use it for everything flat nose. You don't need to support the sides of the bullet as they will center in the cone of the die.

I also take the seating stems out of my seating dies and them them flat, and they also work on any flat nose bullet.

Now rifle bullets with pointee noses are another critter. You will need a punch that fits to keep from distorting the nose. You can make those easy also, but that is another story.

I consider a small lathe a necessity for the serious loader. It frees you from buying only what others choose to make and sell.

Mk42gunner
01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Sully,

Do a search for dimensioned drawings, or something like that. I know there was a drawing of the basic Lyman sizer die posted here, and maybe the top punch, too.

The stem is .260" dia by .400" in length, on mine.

Robert

Sully
01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Sully,

Do a search for dimensioned drawings, or something like that. I know there was a drawing of the basic Lyman sizer die posted here, and maybe the top punch, too.

The stem is .260" dia by .400" in length, on mine.

Robert

Yep. I found a pic online. Thanks for the input.

Wayne Smith
01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
1/4" brass flat head bolt, drill press, drill motor or something to spin it, file and WD40 as cutting fluid. You can quickly make one that closely fits into your die for short boolits, or at least I can. Don't have a metal lathe, either.