PDA

View Full Version : adjustabe core mold question

danyboy
12-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Just got an adjustable core mold, 44-45 cal.

I was wondering if you're supposed to swage the bullet coming out of this core cause it seems to cast a perfecteley cylindrical bullet with no point.

blaser.306
12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
you are correct , The mould that you have is for (as stated) a core mould used for making cores for either [jacketed] "sorry" bullets or if you have one of the swc dies from corbin Etc. it will form a lead Boolit in 1 die .

danyboy
12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
So now I guess I'll also have to buy a swage press, right ?

blaser.306
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
That sounds like the type of thingking that I am known to have ! The wife knows something is up when brass and dies for a gun that I don't have (yet) start showing up ! It makes perfect sence , In order to make use of a $40.00 mould buy a $500.00 press and a set of dies ranging from a couple of hundred to , well the sky is the limit ! I did nearly the same thing , and have been having a "blast" building and concockting new (to me, bullets) for my 7mm guns . but just try to stop at 1 die set , I dare ya !!

HangFireW8
12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
You might be able to paper patch it up to a usable caliber.

-HF

Brithunter
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Surely if you get a new nose/adjustable ejector rod made up you can have the the nose profile you like machined into it.

danyboy
01-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I like Brithunter s idea, might do that.

dardascastbullets
01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Just got an adjustable core mold, 44-45 cal.

I was wondering if you're supposed to swage the bullet coming out of this core cause it seems to cast a perfecteley cylindrical bullet with no point.

Core moulds are intended to make cores for jacketed bullets, whether they are to be full, half, or quarter jacketed bullets. The cores are to be swaged to final diameter and thus weight to fit into the intended jacket. Pure lead must be used to prevent to swage die from damage (cracking). And a tip.....you should be bleeding off approximately 4 grains to obtain consistent weighing cores.

danyboy
01-01-2011, 03:16 PM
According to Lyman #39 manual, you should be able to paper jacket these bullets. Is this the kind of jacket you meant when you said they were meant for jacketed bullets