PDA

View Full Version : NOE 4 Cavity vs 5 Cavity

thehouseproduct
12-31-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm in on a group buy for an NOE mold and I went in for a 5 cavity just to maximize productivity. Everyone else is asking for 4. Do they know something I don't? Are the 5 cavity molds difficult to cut the sprues?

btroj
12-31-2010, 08:48 AM
I doubt it has to do with ease of use as much as it does perceived ease of use and /or price.
Don't read ant thing into this. I have 2 4 cav and 1 3 cav NOE bold and they are a joy to use. I really doubt that going to a fifth cavity makes them suddenly hard to use. I bet you are just seeing a bunch of guys who think 4 cav is enough.

crabo
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
There is no problem. How fast do you want to crank them out?

EDK
12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
A little arts and crafts at work on the 4-to-12 shift produced a nylon headed mallet to cut sprues. A small lathe to make it; mill the slot for the handle; and a belt sander to fit everything up. Every time I use it, I wish I'd made two or three of them.

The five cavity moulds are definitely the way to fly. It is really amazing how much your production rates pick up from one...two...or four cavity moulds. I prefer the NOE/LYMAN style sprue plate to the MIHEC/LEE version...got both on favorite moulds, but live in fear of breaking the LEE style.

OT I'd like the LYMAN style sprue plates in steel and a shallow groove connecting the cavities so I could run a little faster with a ladle. I have an elderly H&G ladle that I refurbished after almost 30 years, but am considerling a ROWELL #1 or #2.

Another thing to consider is getting four cavities in plain base and one in gas check design. I shoot some CAS and really like the MARLIN Cowboy Rifles in 357 and 44. My generic ammo is plain base, but I load rifle specific with the gas check and different colored brass. WHY is 357 brass mostly available in nickle plated, but 44 nickle plated is scarce? I prefer nickle for carry in cartridge belts.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

MT Gianni
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Is it an RG-4 they are going for with adjustable HP pins or a straight 4. That may be the difference.

fecmech
12-31-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a 5 cav 360-180 with 3 cavs PB and 2 GC. No problems with it at all, great mold well made, boolits fall right out. If you want a 5 banger I'd buy it!

excess650
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
I have NOE in 2 cavity, RG2 (2 cavity HP), 3 cavity and 4 cavity. Most of mine were purchased as over runs of group buys, so I took my pick. In a current group buy, I have opted again for a 4 cavity. I think 4 cavity is a good compromise between spped and ease of handling.

I have several Lee 6 cavity molds and they are generally OK. I despise their cam operated sprue cutter and have replaced them with the conventional variety available from Jim in Phx. They're heavy, but could be lightened with some judicious cutting.

dromia
12-31-2010, 03:41 PM
I've 15 plus NOE moulds and started by buying the 5 holers for the production aspect however I'm now buying four holers as I find them handier to use. I'm down a cavity but I'm casting faster with the four holers.

Nothing wrong with the five holers just the four hole block suits me better.

Thats why I by four cavity NOE moulds now.

Landric
12-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I buy mostly 2 and 3 cavity moulds on group buys. I ladle pour, and the extra cavities are generally wasted on me as I have to refill the ladle and I might as well just fill the whole mould again for the time it takes. Three cavity moulds seem to be the best for me, except with really heavy boolits, then two cavity moulds work best. There is also the cost factor, a 2 hole NOE mould is $20 less than a 5 hole one, and that gets me $20 toward another group buy. I cast for 45 minutes or an hour at a time, and I can make a nice pile of boolits in that time ladle pouring a 2 or 3 cavity mould, plenty to meet my shooting needs.

rintinglen
01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
For me, it's pretty much a convenience thing. I bottom pour from a Lee 20 pounder and longer aint better. Then too, I am not as young as I was last month, and I notice the weight when you start getting to the big 44 and 45 boolits. Five 400 grain boolits, plus sprue, and there's a 3rd of a pound. Plus the mould, on the end of ten inches of handle, and my left hand begins to complain after a while.

happy7
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a couple NOE five cavity molds. I won't own anything less than four cavities in any mold unless that is all I can get. I always get as many cavities as I can. The more cavities the faster I make bullets. The five cavities molds work perfectly, and to be honest, I wish he made a six cavity mold. The fact is, if I bought a four cavity mold when I could have bought a five, I would regret it every time I used it.

quasi
01-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I have a couple NOE five cavity molds. I won't own anything less than four cavities in any mold unless that is all I can get. I always get as many cavities as I can. The more cavities the faster I make bullets. The five cavities molds work perfectly, and to be honest, I wish he made a six cavity mold. The fact is, if I bought a four cavity mold when I could have bought a five, I would regret it every time I used it.

I agree, 6 cavitys would be better, 5 cavity is my choice with N.O.E.

sargenv
01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I wanted 5 cav's... but.. um with 3 of them on order, I could justify spending a little less and getting 3 - 4 cavs easier than 3 - 5 cavs... initially I was in for only 2 - 4 cavs.. but talked myself into a third.. this hobby is addicting ;)