PDA

View Full Version : Learned from my mistake today...

steve in kc
12-30-2010, 07:31 PM
So I had casted a bunch of C309-150-F's, lubed/checked, ready to load!

Made a dummy round but hadn't had a chance to check chambering.

Chambered fine.

I thought to myself "I'd better make at least 3 dummies so I can check to make sure the magazine will play nice." Boy, I'm glad I did.

I was having ALL KINDS of problems! Couldn't get more than TWO dummies in the magazine. FRUSTRATED!!!

Took some factory loaded HP's I hunt with and loaded six in the mag with NO problems.

Back to the shed!

I'm checking all the diameters around the factory round vs. mine and it's within
.0005 all the way around! STILL CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT!!!

Then it dawned on me!

When you feed a tube fed mag, the NOSE OF THE ROUND YOU'RE LOADING PUSHES AGAINST THE RIM AND PRIMER OF THE ROUND IN FRONT OF IT TO PUSH THAT ROUND UP INTO THE MAG!!!

Facepalm!

Loaded up those 3 rounds with primers and VOILA!! :bigsmyl2:

The shape of the nose of this particular bullet plus the angle of which I'm pushing the rounds in caused the nose of the bullet to go right into the empty primer pocket of the round in front so by the time the angle would start to straighten out, the round I was trying to load was binding through the loading port.

I'm sure I'm not the first to figure that problem out!

Hanzerik
12-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Never had an issue like that in my .44 loads, but I do seat a spent primer in my dummy rounds just because.

PacMan
12-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Yea the same thing happen to me.
Doubt that there would be any problem with the 44 mag because the nose will be to large to stick in the primer pocket.

WHITETAIL
12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks Steve, we all can learn from this!:killingpc

steve in kc
12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks Steve, we all can learn from this!:killingpc

Definitely. Before I figured it out, I started playing with seating depth, seating out to 2.550" and that did no good either. That's when I had the 'aha' moment and I realized that it had nothing to do with COL or any other case dimension and that it had to be something else.

Four Fingers of Death
01-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I've never had that happen, but have lots of other probs, most of us ain't that smaret, just learn by doing things ass backward first.

btroj
01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
No better teacher than the real world. One can only learn so much by reading, t some point you need to meet reality.
Good lesson.