PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Arms 45 Colt clone.

Four Fingers of Death
10-25-2006, 07:30 PM
There is one of these at a gunstore I frequent which is appeared in great condition ( I must admit, I only gave it a cursory examination, I will have a real good look before I plonked down any money) and is a reasonable price.

Has anybody had anything to do with these?

I have checked it out and it is a newish looking revolver but the scratching around the cylinder is a bit wonky. Apart from that it looks virtually new. The dealer didn't know much about it apart from the fact that the guy who bought it, lost his license soon after annd it has been sitting in a gunshop which went belly up and this dealer ended up buying all of the stock. He got the Dakota name off the license, but the only markings seem to be the Armi san marco. Apart from the funny scratches left on the cylinder it is a very pretty pistol.

Mick.

floodgate
10-25-2006, 09:43 PM
There is one of these at a gunstore I frequent which is appeared in great condition ( I must admit, I only gave it a cursory examination, I will have a real good look before I plonked down any money) and is a reasonable price.

Has anybody had anything to do with these?

Mick.

Mick:

I had a Dakota .45 (Long) Colt 7-1/2" back in the mid-'70's and sure wish I had kept it. Not up to the "second generation" Colt I had in the same configuration, but a nice piece and shot well. If you can afford it, go for it. The same maker / importer made up a nice not-so-little copy of the old Remington "Double Dillinger", about 1.5x scale, in .45 LC I used as a companion piece. Surprisingly, recoil was not as bad as I had expected, due to the palm-filling birdshead grip, and one could actually hit a tomato can at 15 feet, provided you knew which barrel it was cycling to. My best to Kit.

Doug

Four Fingers of Death
10-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanlks, Floodgate, she's had a rough week, but is picking up. I will be by that store in a week or so, I'll ring ahead and get them to put it aside for me to have a good look at next time through. One thing about our laws now, to have a pistol with a calibre greater than 38 yo have to shoot cowboy action or silouette and compete in 4 matches a year. Most guys didn't bother and just stick with 38s or below. I can't figure that one out, I was determined to keep my big bores and not give an inch more than necessary. Anyway, whenever there is a big bore gun for sale, there are not many buyers about and you can usually talk a deal for quantities of brass in 45ACP, because hardly anyone shoots it anymore. Mick.

500bfrman
10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
One thing about our laws now, to have a pistol with a calibre greater than 38 yo have to shoot cowboy action or silouette and compete in 4 matches a year. Most guys didn't bother and just stick with 38s or below. I can't figure that one out,

I hate gun laws. All of them. No matter where you live they are all stupid. I guess the bad guys don't use anything smaller than 38?

Four Fingers of Death
10-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I think it was someone from our Bullseye style target shooting that must have made the suggestion, because strangely enough, the terminology the Govt' used was exactly the same as the target mob's rule book, which was originally Olympic rules before they Olympics stopped shoting centrefire after pressure from European countrys to restrict the shooting to 22s. Maybe I'm just a bit cynical. The main problem was the fact that our Prime Minister is a little bully and blurted off about hating guns after a massacre and the state premiers had been wrangling with shooting movements for years and had just got a workable set of laws (not much fun, but way better than nothing, which was what a lot of folk wanted) together and didn't want to pi$$ off the gun crowd further. Our Premier at the time, not a gun supporter, but a guy who had come to realise that what was happening was only punishing legal gun owners who he had been successfully negotiating with for a few years, actually travelled to the Capital to plead with the PM (without success). It is widely felt that we lost the big bore and short Bbls to save th PM face. As I said, stranglely enough, SAS and silouette can still shoot big bore, I have 4 and am about to buy two more. Don't make sense, but it obviously makes sense to someone. $hitty deal, but I plod on and try and make the best of it. Don't know what it'll be like in 20 years though, apart from me being 79, I'll be surprised if I'm still shooting (the way my health is, I'll be surprised if I'm still around :-) Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
10-30-2006, 03:09 AM
see first post, I have updated it, Mick.

floodgate
10-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Mick:

So.... Did you decide to get it?

Doug

Char-Gar
10-30-2006, 12:46 PM
IIRC... Dakota was not the maker, but a model designation by some Dago gun maker.