PDA

View Full Version : Trailboss and plated boolets...

JAGGUY
12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't know if this is the correct place to ask but....
I have read that loading with Trailboss powder and jacketed boolets is a big no-no but is using plated boolets the same?
I have some Berrys plated .32 HBWC for use in an 1895 Nagant and thought Trailboss might work well but need to know if this would be a bad idea.

Thanks for any help.
-greg

Calamity Jake
12-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Where did you read that at?

madsenshooter
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
There was recently an article in Handloader about the use of Trail Boss with jacketed bullets. Loading instructions were the same fill it to the base of the bullet for max, 70% of that for starting loads.

JAGGUY
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
On thenagantman.com it is discussed that a "J" bullet will cause severe over pressure and is dangerous to use. And I remember reading never to use "J" bullets before and thought it was common knowledge but that was right after Trailboss powder came out so maybe is isn't an issue anymore? However since the plated bullet is different I wanted to ask.
Thanks for the info.

dave22250
12-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Jagguy,
Imr trail boss loads on Imr site states "However,trail boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartrages producing loads using lead or jacketed bullets."They have a formula for developing the loads for everything.

JAGGUY
12-30-2010, 02:21 PM
OK, as I am loading for a pistol, it may be a little different. I will give this a try and proceed with caution. I usually load with Unique with this round but I like how bulky Trailboss is and fulls the case better.
Thanks for the info.
-greg

dave22250
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Jagguy ,
You can use it for pistil loads the same way I'm trying it in 45-70 contender and 375 jdj for plinking.

JAGGUY
12-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks, I've been using it for CB loads in my 45 LC and 44 SPL and wanted to try it in the Nagant but use plated in the Nagant and needed to ask...
Thanks again!
-g

Rocky Raab
12-30-2010, 02:52 PM
The confusion arose soon after TB was released. The powder was described as "designed expressly for cast bullets." Some (including me) interpreted that as meaning ONLY for cast bullets. That opinion has been found and repeated on the internet ever since - and apparently still is.

However, IMR soon issued a clarification and the load formula mentioned above. Trail Boss can be used with jacketed or plated bullets, all the usual reloading cautions being observed.