PDA

View Full Version : Firelapped my SBH Hunter

kelbro
12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
It was difficult to talk myself into but I went ahead and gave it a try. My SBH Hunter had quite a constriction at the barrel/frame juncture and a smaller one at the roll stamp. It was not as accurate as I thought it could be and occasionally leaded.

I bought the Wheeler kit from Midway. Used some 310gr Lee's ACWW with a 6gr charge of BE. Loaded 6 of the 220 grits, 12 of the 320 grits, and 6 of the 600 grits. Cleaned well between each cylinder. Finished up with 100 back and forth strokes of JB on a tight mop.

The patches now go through with no drag and the bore shines like a mirror. I was thinking about running a box of jacketed through it to burnish it a little but I fired 20 429421s through it and had no leading and printed a pretty nice group.

Distance accuracy has yet to be tested but I can't help but think that it may be improved.

Catshooter
12-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Good for you kelbro. I've firelapped a number of firearms, but never a Ruger.

I would think that the JB gave the bore a better shine than a box of jacketed would do.

Cat

kelbro
12-29-2010, 09:51 PM
It was a little scary. Not a cheap pistol :).

That hump bugged me every time that I cleaned it.

Slugs before came out at .429-.4295. Now, .430-.4305.

EDK
12-30-2010, 02:08 AM
I have a bunch of Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357 and 44...most of them bought used. All of the 44s tend to lead right at the start of the forcing cone, while the 357s do not....and I'm using the same alloy and bullet lubes at similar velocity....1000 FPS. Nothing a couple strokes of CHORE BOY doesn't cure, but a minor PITA. Anyone else had a similar situation?

There have been some heated discussions on various forums that I've been following. Your results have pretty much convinced me to get some lapping compounds and start with one of the worst offenders. It probably wouldn't hurt my MARLIN Cowboy Rifles with similar problems.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

missionary5155
12-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Good morning
I have been firelapping since I first heard of it shooting steel back in the early 80īs. All my firearms get the treatment when purchased unless the barrel is mirror slick.
I have never regretted the time it takes.

Bass Ackward
12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
If the bullet is slowed at the nose for alignment or constriction, the base is abused.

Good job on the fire lap. Just monitor it cause the final bore (and groove for that matter)dimension will add about another .0005 when the lead finishes the surface to the level it does.

Guestimate is 500 to 600 rounds. Less if you keep it clean.

Catshooter
12-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I have even firelapped one of my Shorty 45s, which is a match accurate pistol. But when I looked down the bore, I could see perpindicular (sp!) tool marks. It helped with accuracy a bit although at the level it shoots my lack of shooting skills get in the way real quickly. But it really helped with leading.

Cat

2 dogs
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
The hardest thing about firlapping is knowing when to STOP!
Properly done there is no question that performance will improve.

geargnasher
01-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Just check the muzzle end of the bore with a hand lens and light, when you first see evidence of lapping making it all the way through, stop.

Gear