PDA

View Full Version : In the News Today

CJR
12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Initial reports in the news yesterday stated an aerosol /hairspray can exploded in luggage at the Miami airport. Now today the FBI reported a passenger was carrying primers in his luggage and the handling caused them to explode. Supposedly this passenger was in route from Boston to Miami and eventually to Jamaica?

It will be interesting now to see what develops, i.e. ban all shipping of primers or change primer shipping containers and still allow primer/ammo shipping. If my memory serves me correctly, the U.S. Department of Transportation supposedly tested primer shipment and mandated primer packaging requirements. We'll see what polictically correct politician attempts to stop shipments of primers/ammo. Seems strange to me that with all the hunting ammo taken on airlines for hunting trips that ammo explosions in luggage was not rampant in the past.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Best regards,

CJR

deltaenterprizes
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
The baggage handlers must be really rough with luggage!
There is not enough information in the story to make any sense of the conditions surrounding this event.
Reporters are known for slanting and completely omitting relevant information necessary to evaluate a situation.
We know none of the background of the owner of the luggage and the level of knowledge regarding safe handling of reloading components.
I am sure the media circus will try to use this incident to restrict ammo and component shipping.

waksupi
12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Something stinks in this story. What would make primers go off, assuming he had any?
Taking something like primers into Jamaica would give him lots of jail time. Even having a bullet, with no case is illegal there, and ten years is not unknown for a sentence.

Jim
12-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Something stinks in this story. What would make primers go off, assuming he had any?
Taking something like primers into Jamaica would give him lots of jail time. Even having a bullet, with no case is illegal there, and ten years is not unknown for a sentence.

Improperly packed and got banged between two items in his case?
Attempted smuggling?

I dunno, I'm just throwin' darts here.

shooterg
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking if he was trying to smuggle 'em in for resale/reloading purposes, may have been dumb enough to dump 'em all together out of factory containment ?

mike in co
12-29-2010, 01:28 PM
show me the report...not third hand interntet bs, where someone carring primers in luggage had some explode.

notes primers cannot go by air( ask the guys in hawaii why stuff is so expensive)

loaded ammo and at one time primed cases were not considered that same as "primers".( we have been through that one)

it would be hard in std primer packaging to set one off inside"normal" luggage.

that does not mean someone could not remove tha packaging and re pack them to hide them...but xray would certainly show up as questionable a bunch of small metal objects....

just does not sound correct to me...same with the aresol opening line........

mike in co

waksupi
12-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I can't imagine them being taken to Jamaica for reloading. Firearms or anything related are forbidden all together.

CJR
12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I should've mentioned that the story was on Newsmax.com and it came from the Associated Press (AP).

Best regards,

CJR

azcruiser
12-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Attempted smuggling my guess would be taking the primers out of the original boxes or sleeves
and dumping them into a bottle or something loose . If you put say 500 primers in a smoked colored bottle to hide them from customs and they go off its pretty impressive . and loud. Saw a Camdex machine priming system go off with 500 primers very loud. Wouldn't like to be around say 5000 going off

NoZombies
12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I can't speak for jamaica, but I've carried primers in their original packaging in my checked baggage before, on international flights. With the full knowledge of the airline and customs at both ends. I had no problems, but I was only allowed to carry 2K at a time. I called the TSA, the airline, and my country of destination to check the legality of it, and got the green light from all three.

I would imagine that the primers would have been in some other kind of container than their original packaging if they managed to go off.

Reg
12-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, something went bang and got peoples attention but this is a real case of NSI ( not sufficient information ) . Wonder if we will ever know the truth ?

:???:

smoked turkey
12-30-2010, 12:53 AM
I agree with most that there is more to this story. We may never get to the bottom of it. We can rest assured that the antis will make some story of it.