PDA

View Full Version : Question; Boolit lube powder?

HighHook
12-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I just acquired another lyman sizer and decided to use the javalina lube i used 20+ years ago. i used to buy this silicon powder to roll the boolits in for less mess of handling. Is it still around or did they stop selling it for a reason?

My main rcbs lube size has a heater and works great for my rifle stuff. Any answers on the powder would be great. Thanks, Paul

Horace
12-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Are you looking for Motor Mica ?

Horace

fecmech
12-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Here ya go! http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=73
This is about the best price I could find on Motor mica, someone posted it on this board a while back.

HighHook
12-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys! I will give it a try. This is a great forum with great people...

noylj
12-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Not meaning to highjack, but how do you lightly dust the bullets?
I would love to copy Hornady's dusty bullets.

HighHook
12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Not meaning to highjack, but how do you lightly dust the bullets?
I would love to copy Hornady's dusty bullets.

In the 80s at the reloading shop we used to buy a 4-6 oz bottle of i believe silicon powder. As you lube your bullets you drop them on a pan and roll'em around just like Tumble lubeing.

The nice thing about this is your hands and dies aren't sticky, nor the brass. It also seemed to cut down on the excess smoke out the barrel. Sounds like a miracle powder but maybe my memory is failing.

white eagle
12-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I mixed some of that it with my lube
cant say if it helped but again cant say it didn't

fecmech
12-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Just put a small amount (maybe 1/4 TSP) of mica in a ziploc sandwich bag add your sticky alox bullets. Zip the bag closed and just tumble the bullets around inside the bag by turning the bag over and over. First couple times you will probably put too much in but you'll get the hang of it. I put 100-150 .38 cal SWC's in a 1 QT ziploc bag at a time. It only takes a few seconds and your done.

HighHook
12-31-2010, 07:47 PM
fecmech that looks like the "ticket" Thanks