PDA

View Full Version : Tarus and Uberti single action

krag35
10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Sunday I looked at a Taurus single action and a Uberti single action in 45 Colt. while I wasn't to keen on the chambering (asbestos pants on to avoid flames) I really liked these pistols. I have been packing my Sig P220 for a security blanket while hunting, and while I like it it's not an idea pistol for this use IMHO.

Anyone have any experiences with either? I do have a Keith style RCBS mold for a 45 and 3 empty cases so that's enough reason to ward off the " I'd need all new stuff for that caliber" reason not to.

I don't like the Uberti fixed firing pin, have broken 2 fixed pins in 'Smiths, but have had at least 1 bad experience with a Taurus in the past.

I have no intention of "hot rodding" either, 250 gr. bullets at 900 - 1100 FPS would do me just fine.

Just looking for opinions

lastmanout
10-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I have owned several Taurus pistols and ending up selling them all off. Little detail things. The Uberti is a well fininshed pistol, but I REALLY like the USFA Rodeo. 45 Colt is common, 38 spec. and 44 spec. available on order. If you favor a 44mag, then I would get the new style Ruger-flatop or vaquero. A Ruger superblackhawk is a little too heavy for all day holster use, if you're on foot. Have fun deciding on a new 'iron.:Fire:

Calamity Jake
10-25-2006, 09:32 AM
I and my honey do the cowboy action thing, between the two of us we own 9 Uberti SA, 7 of which are 45C and 2 38's other than the screws working loose (after a couple of 100 rounds) I have had no problems with them, I don't hot rod them eather, 4.0 Red Dot under a 260rnfp does about 700 out of the 5½".
If you choose the Uberti 45, be ready to use a .454 boolet, that's what these need to not lead at the forcing cone. The throarts on all of our 45C are .454 to .455 with .452 groove.

robertbank
10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I would be looking at a Ruger Blackhawk. Pistols are tough as nails and are a major improvement over the SAA design IMHO.

I have the Beretta Stampede and Calamity Jake's comment about the screws getting loose is really true and common to the SAA design. I am presnetly waiting for Brownell's to send me a missing in action screw for the ejector rod. Sure hope the Urberti screw fits the Stampede. Beretta's warranty is Canada is a joke!

The Ruger will give you more options as to loadings.

Take Care

Bob

Char-Gar
10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Krag... Give serious consideration to the Ruger New Vaquero. It is the same size as the Colt SA, is made of good material, have easy to see well regulated sights and Ruger has got all the specs right (at last).

They are first rate utility/packin pistols.

Uncle R.
10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
For the use you describe I'd take a hard look at a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. Solid, reliable, accurate, not a hand-detroyer when you shoot it, yet it delivers a serious whompin' downrange. Best of all it doesn't make your pants fall down when you drop it into a belt holster. :roll: It's my favorite to take along just in case "who knows what happens" - does.

NickSS
10-26-2006, 02:18 PM
I routinely cary a hand gun when walking in the woods or hunting. Mostly they are single action revolvers as they are just fine for potting grouse or anything else I care to shoot. One of my favorits is a Uberti SAA clone in 45 colt with a 5.5 inch barrel. It is lighter in weight than most of my other single actions and shoots to point of aim with a load that gives a 255 gr Keith style cast bullet 850 fps. I have also carred severl Rugers that were very satisfactory but heavier in weight than my Uberti.

Dale53
10-26-2006, 07:11 PM
CalamityJake;
You mention that you have a problem with your Colt Clone's screws loosening up. All original Colt's had the same problem. It is easily fixed however. Take the screws out, make sure the threads are clean and dry (no oil) and put a single drop of Shellac on each screw. Put them back in. They won't come loose but are easily removed when necessary(something that cannot always be said of locktite). That is an Elmer Keith tip, by the way.

You do want to make sure that the shellac is relatively new. For some reason, I have had old shellac that didn't want to "set up".

Dale53

Calamity Jake
10-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Dale, Loctite 222 or 242 works pretty good, that's what I use