PDA

View Full Version : What's more accurate in your experience. A revolver or a semi-auto pistol?

357shooter
12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering what your experience has shown. I'm thinking a few things:

15 yards or less? Revolver or auto or are they equal?
25 yards or more? Revolver or auto or are they equal?

I'm not thinking about T/C or other single shot. I assume they are more accurate than both.

If shooting a revolver and auto that are roughly comparable (5in auto, 4-6 in revolver) what would produce the tightest groups when target shooting?

This may be a bit subjective, but if you get 1 inch groups at 25 yards with one type of handgun and 1.5 inches with the other type, they aren't equal or equivalent. The handgun producing the 1 inch group is more accurate in my book.

Since I don't hunt, it's all about striving for accuracy with boolits in my revolver. Looking for 1/4 inch improvements at 25y is extremely important to me, cause it's fun.

What do you think? Thanks (thought about a poll, decided to just pose the question instead)

snowwolfe
12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Depends on the weapon.
My most accurate .22 is a S&W 41 semi auto. But I been told the Freedom Arms .22 revolver is more accurate but it also costs twice as much.
Cant make a comparison with my larger revolvers (44 mag, S&W 500) as no one is producing a semi auto to compare them to.

.45's are another matter. A well tuned .45 will most likely beat out a .45 revolver.

9.3X62AL
12-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't own any match-grade revolvers or pistols--all are service- or hunting-grade examples. Overall, the revolvers shoot slightly better than the stutterguns do at that level of refinement........or rather, non-refinement.

HOWEVER.......a look at the tools and toys used at Camp Perry shows that refined autopistols have DOMINATED that competition for decades.

All that said, most decent-quality revolvers and autopistols sold these days shoot better than their operators are capable of exploiting. On occasion, the buyer has to finish building them--or alter internal dimensions a bit--but once that is accomplished, these platforms really perform.

The most accurate handgun I've ever fired.......a Walther GSP-C, in 32 S&W Long wadcutter. I couldn't do it justice with my skill set offhand, so resorted to the sandbags. Sub-1" at 25 yards, repeatedly, 5-shot groups. I didn't fire the 22 Short or 22 LR "uppers" on this chassis, but its owner said that it shot those calibers as well as it did the centerfire rounds, using match ammo. The loads we shot in 32 SWL used Hornady HBWCs running 700 FPS courtesy of Federal SP primers and WW-231 powder in my W-W cases.

MakeMineA10mm
12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
My most-accurate semi-auto is my Walther P-88C, which will put them all in one ragged hole of about 2" at 25 yards with my shooting (which let's the weapon down -- I know several guys who can shoot pistols better than me, and I'd like to see what it does in their hands).

My duty weapon and one that I shoot regularly is a Glock 21, and again, I let that weapon down. Until 25 yards, I can shoot 2" groups all day, but by the time we get back to 25, I'm just fatigued enough to drop in a couple-three 9's, opening the group up to 4" or so...

I always, routinely, shoot my S&W 686 (my former duty gun) better than my Glocks, even though I don't shoot it as often or as much as my Glock. 2" groups at 25 yards while not common, are possible. (I used to be able to do them on demand, but with my focus on auto-pistols for the last 15 years, I think I'd have to have a month or two of dry-firing and range-time to get back to that level with the revolver again.) I believe there is an advantage to the fixed relationship between the barrel, grip and sights which give it in advantage, but that's just my opinion...

jameslovesjammie
12-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I think that the POTENTIAL for accuracy is greater in a bottom feeder because you only have one chamber that needs to be aligned with the barrel, while a revolver needs to have six chambers perfectly machined to be aligned, which also need to stay in time to be true.

However, I PERSONALLY almost always shoot a revolver better and more accurately than a semi.

bobthenailer
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
in my opinion at least with s &w revolvers are more accurate than most regular production autos and just as accurate as top end autos, i have several s&w revolvers that will shoot 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards and a inch or under at 25 yards with many different loads i also have 5 -1911s with after market match barrels !
1 with a clark , 2 with nowlin , 2 with kart match barrels and they are hard pressed to shoot 1 1/2 at 50 yards if at all. normal is 3 inches at 50 yards from the lot ! with a scope or red dot on the 1911 s or s&w revolvers. i also did accuracy testing with the 1911 when i owned a ransom rest with 2 of the match barrels same results.
i think less baer quoats 1 1/2 at 50 yards guarntee with his 1911s with selected ammo with his match BE pistols and 3 inches for some of the other match pistols he makes

Catshooter
12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Up until I purchased my first S&W Shorty Forty Five, revolvers for me were the more accurate.

But that puppy is tough to beat. The very first eight out of it with my handloads went into a group that would hide completly behind a quarter. Wish I could do that every time! But it can.

Cat

Walt
12-28-2010, 06:02 PM
In my experience comparing standard production autos to standard production revolvers, the revolvers generally win in the accuracy department when comparing selected loads in each. When you go to semi custom and custom guns the autos often catch up to the revolvers.

bradh
12-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I have both S&W K-22 and K-38 which will shoot flys off turds at 25 yards, good friend has
both series 70 and 80 Colt 45 Gold Cups that are very accurate...I think the series 70 is
even a little more accurate than the series 80. Service grade ( so to speak ) semi-autos will
not out shoot a good revolver!

Gunsmoke4570
12-28-2010, 06:27 PM
I shoot PPC with target ranges from 3yds back to 25yds. In my experience the revolvers will consistently provide higher scores than an auto. BUT, this is normally because of the increased recoil recovery from the auto getting back on target since the stages are timed. With time not being a factor, I have a S&W Model 52 auto (38 special wad cutter) that will shoot just as good as my S&W 686 revolver.

DennisE
12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I shoot revolvers better but... Dennis

BigboreShooter
12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Any quality revolver with a 6" barrel will shoot inside 3" @ 50yds with the right load.If it won't, I woudn't keep it.
Out of the box quality revolver,will beat an out of the box quality auto everytime.
The reason they use autos at Camp Perry, is because of the rapid fire stage is easier with an auto.
The revolver is not finicky about which style bullet it uses, wc,swc,Keith,hp.
The autos advantage is higher rate of fire,larger capacity, quicker reload time. But to the average home owner/ outdoorsman, I don't think there that important.

BigBoreShooter

fecmech
12-28-2010, 09:39 PM
From a pure accuracy standpoint I'm in the same camp as Bobthenailer and Bigboreshooter. Most decent quality stock revolvers such as the Rugers and Smiths with good ammo will do in the 3" range or better at 50 yds. IMO it would be very rare to see service grade auto's at that level, more like 5-6" (or more) at that range. Also triggers which are very important to handgun accuracy tend to be better on Revo's than Auto's( older Smiths and Colts were definitely better) . If it's accuracy that you are striving for than revolvers are where it's at unless you want to get into $1000+ autos. We are of course talking centerfire cartridges, for rimfires it is exactly the opposite. Accurate inexpensive rimfire auto's are the rule from Ruger, Browning etc.

runfiverun
12-28-2010, 09:59 PM
if only the back half of an auto moved i believe it would prove more accurate.
like a luger does.
the bbl moves a bit with each shot no matter how closely the bbl and front bushing are matched up.
a revolver moves the chamber with each shot.
the top end of both are probably close.

That'll Do
12-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Personally, I shoot semi-autos a wee tiny bit better than revolvers.

That said, I honestly think that both revolvers and semiautos can be made equally accurate out to 50 yards. After that, my money is on a revolver. With a revolver, the barrel is in the same position for each shot, whereas the barrel on a semi moves ever so slightly, no matter how well fit it is.

I enjoy shooting both kinds of pistols, so I don't really compare the two accuracy wise. I just know that all of my guns can shoot better than me.

missionary5155
12-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Good morning
I have yet to own any auto loader that will out shoot my Dan Wesson 41 Mag. My 357 is almost as accurate. My 375 Super mag will outshoot my 375 leverguns.
All my DW´s are capable of shooting cloverleafs at 50 yards. But then the DW is a very unique systen alowing the owner to fine tune the barrel attachment which really aids to vibration control.

Bass Ackward
12-29-2010, 06:57 AM
A good launcher is a good launcher regardless of the platform type. And just about anyone can make one shoot fairly well. Makes you and your reloading techniques look like and expert.

It's the problem ones that make this board popular.

So the real question should be, which platform is the easiest to make correctly and has the highest percentage of the manufacturer making right?

I'd say your chances go down anytime you leave a slow operating, three point of contact set up. And $ do improve the odds of a bullet rotating around it's axis and exiting square with the muzzle, launching directly into the wind regardless of the platform type.

Bret4207
12-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Revolvers, hands down. The auto should do better in theory, but they don't for me.

357shooter
12-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks, this is very helpful as opinions here do matter.

BOOM BOOM
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
HI,
I can shoot a revolver better.
But that is a factor of ---I have probably shot less than a 1,000 rounds out of semi-autos.

NickSS
12-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I personally have owned lots of handguns over the years (200 +) and probably equal numbers of Semi Autos and revolvers. I also like shooting both types of handguns so I have no preference one way or another. I have enough handguns so that I rarely shoot the same one twice in a row and I generally go from revolver to semi auto and back. In my experience most revolvers right out of the box will out shoot a semi auto as far as group size goes. I have owned some really worked over semi autos that have and do shoot right alongside of any revolver I have owned including Missionary's favorite Dan Wessons. But these were custom fitted and tuned guns. I have occationally bought a semi auto that shot as good as the average revolver when new but after a few thousand rounds it degraded a bit. Now I own a Ruger Security Six that I did my own trigger job on back in the early 70s and it has seen in excess of 50,000 rounds through it and it shoots as well today as it ever did. You can not make a semi auto that would maintain this level of performance without tuneups every few thousand rounds due to mechanical wear. So overall a revolver with shoot more accurately longer than any semi auto. But the revolver will not have the firepower, ease of reloading that a semi auto does.

MtGun44
12-30-2010, 06:10 PM
The only semi-autos that can match revolvers are either custom target grade OR a fixed
barrel .22 LR, in my experience.

Bill

ole 5 hole group
12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Well now, let’s look at it from a non-human viewpoint; say a Ransom rest or equivalent and let the targets solve the mystery of which platform is more accurate. I’ve never been able to consistently shoot 3” groups at 50 yards off-hand with any revolver or pistol and I’ve got a couple great shooters in both platforms that possess the proven capability to shoot well under 3”. There are not many people who can shoot off-hand to the capabilities of their handguns and no one can shoot off-hand to the high-end handgun capabilities. Off a rest – some may shoot a group or two that will match the handgun’s capabilities but very few will do it consistently.

I started shooting conventional pistol competition with a wheel gun back in the day and after saving my pennies for awhile went with the bottom feeders and my 25 yard ragged fire stage improved enough to make it worth the cost to me. I did not improve my slow fire 50 yard average but I didn’t hurt it either.

The custom & semi-custom pistols out there today will do from just a tad under an inch to just a tad over an inch at 50 yards with the proper load. (That’s a 10-shot group) Going with most conventional/commercial ammunition those same pistols might be able to keep 10 within 1.5” at 50 yards. I don’t think a “custom” revolver will do much better, as most groups supplied with some high-end revolvers are 5-shot groups. I could be wrong on that point, as I’ve never run across any revolver manufacturer’s guarantees stating their revolvers could do better (so there might be some out there that I know nothing about, which would not be unusual for me). There are a couple makers out there such as Les Baer who will give you a written guarantee that their pistol will shoot a 10-shot group measuring 1.5” or less at 50 yards and the test target to prove it. I know of no human that can hold that good and the world records show it.

The aforementioned pistols are not exclusive “target” pistols but can be used for everyday carry as well because they are as reliable as most other bottom feeders out there and probably just as reliable as a revolver. Those used strictly for completion will have a lower rate spring set-up but a change of springs will bring most up to speed with the everyday carry types.

The cost might be a factor, as the pistols will run from $1,200.00/used to over $3,000.00 new. There’s some LE’s out there carrying Baer’s, Brown’s, Wilson as well as a few other makes, so don’t think “tight” pistols are unreliable when the chips are down.

Less costly pistols such as the Sigs – P226 or P220 will shoot better than some of their “masters” right out of the box. Not unusual for them to shoot sub-3” groups at 25 yards and you have 15 chances to hit your intended target just in case it takes 14 rounds to “settle down”.

There are several members here that have several years of quality trigger time and can shoot off their hind legs extremely well and then there are those that can shoot extremely well off a rest. If there’s anyone here that can consistently shoot ¾” at 50 yards off a rest or from a mechanical rest with a center fire revolver - post up, otherwise I think a draw is in order for which platform is the most accurate.

BigboreShooter
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Out of the box!!
Not $3000 custom guns in either style.
Again, revolvers handsdown!

BigBoreShooter

35remington
12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Approximately in this order, from least accurate to most accurate:

Browning type automatic (loose barrel that cycles separately from the slide)
Well fitted loose barrel automatic
Well dimensioned revolver
Fixed barrel automatic (e.g. High Standard target .22) with sights independent of slide

A matter of tolerances. While the automatic has a single chamber and barrel in one unit, it aligns somewhat variably from shot to shot as the barrel moves independently of the slide.

A well fitted "loose barrel" automatic minimizes the differences in barrel positioning, but it's still there.

While the revolver has multiple chambers, it has a barrel that does not move from shot to shot.

The fixed barrel automatic has a single chamber and a barrel that does not move from shot to shot, nor do the sights if they are separated from the slide (sights on a separate plane from the slide as in High Standard Supermatic Citation, 10X or Victor).

While this will not cover all bases, it does most of the time. With typical pistols.

A poorly dimensioned one will not be typical, however.

MoldyJoe
01-01-2011, 04:40 AM
I think we need to consider the fact of speed. Most of the Boy Scouts I teach have a tendency to aim with a revolver, and pray and spray with a semi-auto. This is true with rifles as well, just look at your typical 10/22. Discipline is a key factor. When you actually aim, it makes all the difference. I believe that if it takes longer to get off the next shot then sub-consciously you will take the time to make the first one count. Joe

357shooter
01-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Hey MoldyJoe, you are a long way from home. Thanks for weighing in and to you and the other posters; Happy New Year.

Pete

6bg6ga
01-01-2011, 07:53 AM
In my opinion the gun is only as good as the shooter. I have had occasion to shoot many different guns. I always got a kick out of listening to an owner complain about the accuracy of his gun and then I would politely ask if I could put a few rounds thru it. I generally could shoot a tighter group then the owner could.
I have had a number of Gold Cup Series 70 45's some of which shot very well and some so so. A 45 is an accurate gun when built up correctly and used by some one experienced. I am currently playing with a Colt officers 45 in stainless that has had much work done to it. It shoots around 1.5 or less groups at 30 yards.
My father rest his soul had 45 long colt that was absolutely a tack driver. I don't think there is a correct answer to the original question. So much depends on both the gun and the shooter in my humble opinion.

btroj
01-01-2011, 09:34 AM
My experience has been that a decent 22 auto is more accurate than most out of the box, commonly purchased, handguns. Not compairring them to properly tuned and accursed guns, just out of the box average Joe type guns.
My Ruger 22 auto will out shoot anything else I have. Either revolver or auto.
For centerfire I would go with revolver. Mine shoot pretty well, better than me actually. An auto can be tuned to be very accurate but many are not as good as revolvers out of the box.
Since the original question asked about my experience I will definitely go with a 22 auto.

357shooter
01-01-2011, 10:24 AM
In my opinion the gun is only as good as the shooter. I have had occasion to shoot many different guns. I always got a kick out of listening to an owner complain about the accuracy of his gun and then I would politely ask if I could put a few rounds thru it. I generally could shoot a tighter group then the owner could.
I have had a number of Gold Cup Series 70 45's some of which shot very well and some so so. A 45 is an accurate gun when built up correctly and used by some one experienced. I am currently playing with a Colt officers 45 in stainless that has had much work done to it. It shoots around 1.5 or less groups at 30 yards.
My father rest his soul had 45 long colt that was absolutely a tack driver. I don't think there is a correct answer to the original question. So much depends on both the gun and the shooter in my humble opinion.
Good point, maybe I should have clarified a bit. Since I asked about which type of handgun folks found to be me accurate I was assuming off a rest and to be the best indicator. I wasn't asking what folks could shoot off-hand well.

Shooter ability always plays some part, even from a rest. However many folks do try to evaluate which loads are most accurate and do that by removing the shooter from the equation as much as possible. That then leads to doing the same with different guns and having some basis for this comparison.

Hope that helps with the intent of my original post.

6bg6ga
01-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Sorry,

I guess I have a habit of going off on a tangent. What I have pictured as my Avatar is probably the most accurate 22 I have ever shot. With my experience I tend to lean toward a semi-auto pistol over a revolver. To me a revolver just feels different in my hand and I tend to grip them differently than I do a semi-automatic.

Others have made very true statement indicating the tendency of younger people to spray instead of taking aim.

In my personal experience I'll go with the semi.:Fire:

357shooter
01-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Sorry,

I guess I have a habit of going off on a tangent. What I have pictured as my Avatar is probably the most accurate 22 I have ever shot. With my experience I tend to lean toward a semi-auto pistol over a revolver. To me a revolver just feels different in my hand and I tend to grip them differently than I do a semi-automatic.

Others have made very true statement indicating the tendency of younger people to spray instead of taking aim.

In my personal experience I'll go with the semi.:Fire:
No problem. I have a fixed barrel 22 (Ruger 22/45) and it is very accurate. So you and several others made a great point.

harvester
01-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Colt target revolvers beat auto loaders unless the auto loader is customized, generally no contest as manufactured.

45r
01-01-2011, 02:18 PM
The quality of the gun is what counts.Both have shot very well.

357shooter
01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
The quality of the gun is what counts.Both have shot very well.
So with equivalent guns, which is most accurate. For instance, if one typically shoots 1/4inch better groups at 25 yards or 50 yards, per the original post, that's the best one.

7br
01-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Put a scope on a Ruger MKII and see what it will do. Just traded a 10" model to a nephew and it will group 5 shots in a smallbore turkey leg at 75 yards. I know this as I did not have my sight settings correct when I cleared the bank. It does have a trigger job, but poor factory sights.

I do love my Norwich Dan Wesson 722. It will probably do the same at 3x the price.

Cowboy T
01-03-2011, 02:51 AM
The most accurate gun is the gun you're best at shooting. For me at this time, that's a wheelgun, at any distance. However, I'm practicing with a semi-auto and getting better with that, too.

badbob454
01-03-2011, 04:06 AM
:Fire::Fire::Fire:i have 3 very accurate handguns the s&w 38 4" barrel is accurate i can hit a golf ball 4 out of 5 times at 50 yards , my east german makarov 9x18,a fixed barrel pressed into the frame will hit a grapefruit 4 out of 5 times /and my cz75b 9mm will hit a grapefruit 3 out of 5 times. so i would say a revolver is best my other revolvers will shoot about like my cz 75b ,a 454casull 7.5"barrel rsr gp100 357 mag , 44 ruger sbh all shoot good

thegreatdane
01-04-2011, 01:32 AM
its such a subjective question and very hard to give a definitive answer; however, it's hard to argue with a 6in 357 mag.

That said, I believe I shoot my 10mm glock (semi-auto of course, with aftermarket barrel) exceptionally accurately. The Springfield XDm 15 is also shot well.

Ah, heck... who knows. Find what works for you.

ole 5 hole group
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
So with equivalent guns, which is most accurate. For instance, if one typically shoots 1/4inch better groups at 25 yards or 50 yards, per the original post, that's the best one.

You might have to set some tighter parameters, such as a dollar value, caliber etc. Without repeating my 1st post - If you want to pay a little more money than most are comfortable with paying, you can purchase accuracy & reliability in both platforms.

The only semi-auto calibers I’m familiar with that possessed fantastic accuracy out of the box was the 22lr but with a little “expensive” tuning the 38 Special, 38 Super and 45ACP produced groups that were smaller than a humanoid could hold for 10-shots at 50 yards – there’s others I’m sure but these I have personal experience with. In those calibers, I find it hard to believe a revolver will shoot a 10-shot group at 50 yards any better.

Take a Sig P226 in 9mm and a Sig P220 in 45ACP at used prices and compare them at the range with any revolver in those calibers and dollar figure and I think you’ll have a hard time beating their accuracy on average out of the box. There are a few bottom feeders out there as well as a few revolvers that won’t put but a couple rounds on a 12”X12” target at 50 yards out of 10 shots fired – they are fun to plink with at 10/15 yards but you don’t take them to an event where you put down some hard earned cash in an effort to win a prize of some sort. (Maybe some might but I wouldn’t)

There’s always a reason/s why the top competitors shoot a certain caliber and platform in their sport/event. A person would be a fool to give up accuracy in a semi-auto for speed when competing in a scoring event – that to me anyway, would indicate the semi-auto will post the same score or better than the revolver but will do so quicker, giving that individual just a fraction of a second more time for proper sight alignment per shot for that time period. In the long run that usually means both platforms will post a score of 100 but the auto-loader will probably have a tad higher X-count and will receive the top award.

I still call it a draw with medium to high-end platforms as for accuracy in calibers at or below 45ACP and the semi-auto in most models will out shoot most revolvers in 22lf using any type of ammo. Kinda like going to a benchrest rifle match – you see some Remington 700 actions that have been trued up and everything else attached to that action is custom this or that – the majority of the winners attending that match will be shooting full custom’s (action and everything else). In a local event the stock 45ACP Colt Gold Cup was a great shooter – in a State match it was consider a good shooter, while the full custom jobs slugged it out for top honors.

If you want the very best in high-end competitions you have to pay a little more money but you also have to possess the ability to use that high priced firearm- and therein lies the crux of the dilemma.

firefly1957
01-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Of the guns I own Revolvers shoot better with the exception of a High Standard HD-Military which is very accurate I have taken small vermin past 70 yds with it. That said with older eyes it is getting harder to shoot well but that goes for any open sights. Come to think of it I have a High Standard Model G in .380 acp that will shoot very tight groups also both these guns have fixed barrels that may be the reason.

NVScouter
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Revolvers usualy have the edge at any range. With a Revolver and a 4" barrel you have about 5-6" of travel for a bullet depending on make/caliber. With an auto and a 4" barrel you get closer to 3" of travel.

More time in the barrel = more forced rotation in the lands and grooves. Also it seems that most auto go for lighter bullets and revolvers medium weights for bearing contact.

Also few auto use a fixed barrel, and I've only seen 1 revolver with a floating barrel.

That being said I know guys that shoot auto under 50m that are one hole wonders.