PDA

View Full Version : reclaiming lead from bench weights

steve in kc
12-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Found a pretty good deal on a set of bench weights. They are lead filled, plastic weights. I haven't seen them, so I was wondering...

1) has anyone reclaimed the lead from these type of weights before?
2) how did you do it? That plastic housing is thick and meant to be tough (on purpose). I suppose one would have to saw them open or just melt a big hole in the cover to pour the lead out?
2a) is the lead inside powder, shot sized pieces, or solid chunks?
3) any idea on the composition?

It comes with a nautalis looking type of bench as well, so I could scrap the steel and make it an even better deal in the end.

Thoughts?

shooterg
12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Are we sure it's lead and not just dense sand ?

Jim
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Steve,
Never done it, but my first thought is start with exploratory surgery and drill the plastic to see what you find. If it's solid, you might could hacksaw the outside diameter and drill the inside diameter with a hole saw just big enough to cut the plastic. Thus, making two clam shell halves that you MIGHT can pry away from the core.
Another option is, you got a side grinder with a cutting wheel?

hoosierlogger
12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I think those are filled with sand. If it is lead now I have something else to look for. I bought a few 10 LB Lead boat anchors at yard sales last year. I bought a plastic coated one and it was steel not lead.

runfiverun
12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
look for a little square door on the weights.
thats how they fill them.
lead weighs airc 700 lbs a square foot.
now stack up 4-20 lb weights should be about a square foot.
80 lbs of lead is about 9" high 8" long and 4" wide.

imashooter2
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Plastic weights are usually filled with cement. Much cheaper than lead shot...

kelbro
12-28-2010, 07:04 PM
All that I have seen were filled with sand or concrete.

Tom W.
12-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Some of those "lead" boat anchors are dolomite...

No, I don't know what Dolomite is, but I have left several pounds of it on the bottom of the lake...

felix
12-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Dolomite is a natural rock having primarily calcium and magnesium carbonate. Used in farming when raising ph for a legume plantation. ... felix

hoosierlogger
12-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Some of those "lead" boat anchors are dolomite...

No, I don't know what Dolomite is, but I have left several pounds of it on the bottom of the lake...

The ones I have melted looked just like lead to me. They shoot just fine too.

Jal5
12-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Now I have to check those bench weights that we have stacked in the basement!

Bloodman14
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
All the weights I have seen and had were filled with concrete. Ankle weights are filled with steel shot.

*Paladin*
12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
All the weights I have seen and had were filled with concrete. Ankle weights are filled with steel shot.

That's good to know because I've been watching the thrift stores for those so I could cut them open for the shot. I guess I'll quit looking for them...