PDA

View Full Version : Storing Lead Ingots

largecaliberman
10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
I just want to ask how all of you in boolit land store lead ingots. Just asking for ideas. I presently have a little over three tons of lead ingots and not to mention an about 1.5 tons of linotype and over 1 ton of wheelweights. Some pictures will do.

versifier
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
I store them in 8x8x6 cardboard boxes as that's about all I want to lift at a time. Lables on the ingots (sharpie) and the boxes.

Carteach0
10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
I keep a fair amount in the bottom of my gun safe. Let see a thief move THAT!

Carteach0
10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh.... the rest stays in 30 cal ammo cans. Clean, dry, and has wonderful handles to carry the heavy cans with. They stack nice and safe too.

Lee W
10-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I keep ingots on a modified pallet. I cut it almost in half and reinforce whats left with plywood and the leftover 2x4.
I have 1200 ingots so far. [smilie=1: It's only 3' x 1.5' x 1' more or less.

Five and a half tons? I have some catching up to do...

Four Fingers of Death
10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
If yu can find a place that imports chinee bolts and nuts you will find that they come in pretty strong boxes and they will usually be glad to get rid of them free or very cheap. They are only to be filled a few inches from the bottom or they are staying right there, believe me. You could fill the bottom ones and the ones on top just with a convienient (liftable) amount and then take a small amount into the now empty top boxes as you need it. Watch your back. as a former strong as a mule big guy, I can tell you, it ain't no fun getting old with a bad back. MIck

imashooter2
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
I toss them back in the 5 gallon buckets the scrap came in, but I only have a bit over half a ton.

NVcurmudgeon
10-24-2006, 10:42 PM
When I bring newly scrounged weights home, I leave the full bucket in the truck, then sort weights into buckets containing no more than fifty or sixty pounds. That is about as much as this geezer cares to lift. After smelting, 100 ingots of one pound are placed in universal five gallon buckets. There is room for eight buckets under my casting/smelting bench. A bucket of 100 pounds slides very easily on the smooth concrete floor, and the buckets only need to move two feet to be accessible for loading into the pot. The inventory is nearing 800 pounds, so I will have to load the buckets a little heavier, but that should be no trouble, as I never lift the buckets. Besides having ingots readily available where they will be used, inside storage helps to eliminate visits from the "Tinsel Fairy."

Bad Ass Wallace
10-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I store lots in little brass recepticles ready for instant use!:Fire:

The remainder in a small pallet rack, about 250kg per shelf. Be sure to get a set of number punches and code each one 1.20, 1.30, WW, LO, etc for you will surely come a time when you ask yourself, What the hell are they?":roll:

Buckshot
10-25-2006, 12:26 AM
...............I store'em in these plastic boxes:

http://www.fototime.com/5BD9E698CF816FF/standard.jpg

Apparently they're intended for storing shoes. In that case, probably mostly women buy them :-). I get them at Lowes for $1.25 each. The one bad thing is that you can't store them in sunlight as the UV will eventually cause the plastic to become brittle. If you put a tarp over them that cures that problem.

..............Buckshot

Goatlips
10-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Largecaliberman,

I tried putting them back in the 5 gal pickle buckets the WW's came in but they're too heavy for me to move around easily, even 1/2 full, so I just fill them back up with ingots where they sit, close to the hand cart.

I like the mesh sacks that oranges come in; I put in as many ingots as I can easily carry, and toss them under a bench or storage rack. When the pots start running dry I shuffle back in the garage and grab another sack.

Goatlips

HEAD0001
10-25-2006, 01:14 AM
I use plastic milk crates. The bottom will not bust out, easy carry handles, they stack easy, will hold about 100 pounds very easily(a lot more if you are not going to be moving them. Tom:castmine: