PDA

View Full Version : Spent case in with new Blackhawk?

Shooter6br
12-28-2010, 01:52 AM
In a little brown envelop was a spent 327 Fed case. I put it in the cylider to check fit. It got stuck. I got it out . The back of the case was marked red in color. It must have been a proof load. Has anyone ever seen this? :veryconfu

MtGun44
12-28-2010, 02:35 AM
Required in idiot locations like Commy-fornia for the cops to file on
the insane idea that they will solve a crime with the case matched
to a crime scene case some day.

Toss it.

Bill

Shooter6br
12-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Envelop had date and signature on it. Weird:killingpc

missionary5155
12-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Good morning
And makes me wonder how much was added on to the selling price of the revolver to do this little "aid to crimfighting" ?

man.electric
12-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Required in idiot locations like Commy-fornia for the cops to file on
the insane idea that they will solve a crime with the case matched
to a crime scene case some day.

Toss it.

Bill

Only in Commyfornia would they want a test case to check against cases left on the scene by a revolver!? I am sure that I am not alone when it comes to my hatred of picking up brass our of grass after a day of target shooting a semi-auto. I can take a Semi-auto to the range and fire 100 rounds and when I am done, I usually leave with 98 pieces of brass. That is the reason my revolvers will always get shot more.

Taylor
12-28-2010, 07:25 AM
I've that here in Tennessee,but not in a while.

44fanatic
12-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I've that here in Tennessee,but not in a while.

Still seeing it. Had one with a Ruger SBH that I bought back in 2006 and a Glock that I purchased this year.

DeanWinchester
12-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I can take a Semi-auto to the range and fire 100 rounds and when I am done, I usually leave with 98 pieces of brass. That is the reason my revolvers will always get shot more.

??? Is that all? If I shoot a hundred I'll likely come home with couple of hundred....or more.

44man
12-28-2010, 09:40 AM
From what I understand, you are supposed to turn that case in to the police dept but I don't know if the dealer has to do it in some states.
Another form of registration to sidestep giving everyone the knowledge that you own a gun.
I have never heard of a single crime solve by that brass. Throw it in the trash.

Jim
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I worked at a Lawmen's store for awhile. I asked about that. I was told that, in states that require, the dealer is supposed to remove the spent case from the gun box and turn it over to authorities within X days of the sale with all info on the purchaser.

ReloaderFred
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I believe Massachusetts was one of the first to require a fired cartridge case for all firearms sold within the state. Several others followed.

Instead of throwing the case away, reload it and be thankful for another piece of brass for your handgun.

Hope this helps.

Fred

David2011
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Maybe, since it was marked with red, they're also using the proof brass as the spent cartridge. Two birds with one shot. . .

David

scb
12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
If that gun had been sent to NY the dealer would have sent it (the fired case) to the New York State Police. They would have been required to keep it (or perhaps images/pictures , not sure how that works) on file. They call it ballistic finger printing. This is a multi million dollar per year program/scam that from what I understand has not only NOT lead to a single convection, it has NOT lead to a single arrest. A complete and utter waste of tax payer money that these stupid liberals in this state refuse to admit was a mistake.

NHlever
12-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Seems to me that it would be easier if they just required the criminal to leave the gun at the crime scene, and to take the fired brass with him instead. I suppose that one case from a gun with six, or eight, or however many chambers is easier, and more positive. Once a state has a few hundred thousand fired cases they are going to have to hustle to get a match in the space of a half hour TV show. Yes, I expect that manufacturers are just sticking one of the proof round cases in the envelope. It would be pretty easy to see the difference in primer markings between one of them, and a wadcutter load for example. Of course we could see, just by looking at the length of the brass that a 38 Special case fired in a crime couldn't have come from the .357 mag that was shipped with a fired case.

EDK
12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder if "the rocket scientist" that came up with the ballistic fingerprinting idea realized that revolver chambers have some difference in chamber dimensions. Another way to waste time and money...and accomplish nothing!

:cbpour::cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Shooter6br
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
David 2011 hit the nail on the head. It must be a proof load, I cant read much more into it.

jhrosier
12-28-2010, 04:13 PM
I believe Massachusetts was one of the first to require a fired cartridge case for all firearms sold within the state. ...

Nope!
(not yet anyways)

Jack

9.3X62AL
12-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Total nonsense, right from the git. Another example of "The CSI Effect" from idiot TV cop shows trickling down to the real world--costing money, diverting resources, and adulterating effectiveness in the interest of feel-good "results".

What is left unsaid in all this.......the ENTIRE body of forensic science dealing with these "ballistic fingerprints" left on case heads has been collected from crime guns VERY soon after (in terms of weapon lifespan and firing history) the weapon's use in the crime where the casings were ejected or extracted. Take that same firearm--fire it 1K times or 2K times AFTER the crime was committed--and the microscopic features will differ via wear to the point that only general and class features will be comparable. No forensic scientist that I know is going to testify that any firearm can be specifically identified to the exclusion of all others under these circumstances. These "findings" have the same value as a smudged fingerprint--which is NONE. It catches no criminals, because it can't.

This is what happens when a legislature makes laws while ignoring true expertise (from FBI and Cal-DOJ, among others) and plows right ahead making an idiot fashion statement for feel-good effect and grandstanding bullsquat. Lump this nonsense in the same file drawer as Assault Weapon and Global Warming.

fireball168
12-28-2010, 06:10 PM
No forensic scientist that I know is going to testify that any firearm can be specifically identified to the exclusion of all others under these circumstances.

These "findings" have the same value as a smudged fingerprint--which is NONE.

It catches no criminals, because it can't.

The departments that utilize the technology seem to do pretty well with it.

Rarely are the crime lab technicians called to testify around these parts.

http://www.nibin.gov/

http://www.nibin.gov/hits-of-the-week/

mongo
12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
scb you hit the nail on the head, This is the biggest waste of tax payer money. Anything the liberal can do to make it harder for law abiding people to purchase guns in New York they will.

eljefe
12-29-2010, 08:45 AM
It is required in Maryland, as well.

Guess how many crimes have been
solved using the "ballistic fingerprinting database"?

It resembles a goose egg.

ReloaderFred
12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I knew it was one of the states that started with "M"!!!

Fred

S.R.Custom
12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
...in states that require, the dealer is supposed to remove the spent case from the gun box and turn it over to authorities within X days of the sale with all info on the purchaser.

Which is precisely why if I'm going to shoot someone with my gun, I'm leaving brass from your gun at the scene.

Which is further proof that politicians are indeed utter morons. If they'd even bothered to think about the matter for even a moment, they'd realize this.

Reloader06
12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
I think Al has it exactly right. Couple this with the proposed requirment to "serialize" firing pins(Put a serial # on the head of a firing pin), and the term Nanny State takes on a whole new meaning. My 2c. YMMV

Matt

9.3X62AL
12-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I didn't say forensics couldn't work--I meant that compiling a database from citizens' lawfully-purchased firearms to search for crime guns is like searching for trout in the Sahara. The examples in your links confirm my earlier observations. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

The NICIN links generally show a legitimate and laudatory use of the ballistic signature technology--a comparison of crime gun to crime gun evidence to link serial incidents involving the same firearm and--by inference--same actors. It is NOT a free-standing indicator of culpability, and requires corroboration in court--but remains a good tool in a lawman's kit. Extending this catalog to include the guns owned by law-abiding citizens is, from an evidentiary point of view, useless.