PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Large loop

idahoron
12-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Why are guys switching their guns over to the large loop. Is it only for using gloves? I can work my regular loop 336 with gloves on. ROn

starmac
12-27-2010, 08:59 PM
That all depends on the gloves.

crabo
12-27-2010, 09:13 PM
And the size of the hands with gloves

bigted
12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
well i can only speak for myself here but here goes.

i have above average hand size and the square style lever just tears my knuckles up with the 45/70's i own. they are wonderfull guns except for that tiny lever with a gun that recoils any. i also have discovered that the pistol grip stocks on marlins with the large loop lever is one on the sweetest lever's i have ever shot.

not being a bugger here but you must be smaller in stature with the smaller size hands if you are ok with these small short square lever openings. my 6 foot 6 inch frame with the corresponding hand size and arm length do what it takes to shoot comfortably these snazzy levers...i also install a slip-on limb saver for the cheap extra length of pull so im not feeling chocked up on the wrist.

just me

hickstick_10
12-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Some people with large hands legitimately require the larger loop. For the 1894 lever loop if you have fairly chunky gloves, then you cant fit it in the loop.............but the trigger finger hole on big loop levers isn't appreciably bigger so I dont understand the point.

The rest is just from watching to much Stagecoach. I'm guilty of it as well, as I have a large loop lever hanging on the wall from the time when I thought I needed one as well. :( At least marlin has made the loops slightly less cheezy with a sort of "squashed" shape to the loop so your hand isn't rattling around in it as bad.

Some guys at marlin owners forum cook up some neat shapes that may be more practical IMHO:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,70948.0.html snoop around the sight, as there are many more shapes posted then the link I left here, some are exceptionally well done, and keep the cheeziness down.

What I am curious about is was there any large loop lever guns in the 70 or more years before TV westerns?

1Shirt
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Hickstick, I doubt it! Think you can blame John Wayne's prop people!
1Shirt!

PatMarlin
12-27-2010, 10:35 PM
They look cool! I wish I had one for my 1895 guide gun.

PatMarlin
12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow-

MULEMAN over at Marlin owners has some nice loops! I can't find a link to his prices? Sure would like one for my 1895.

btroj
12-28-2010, 08:47 AM
My hands are skinny enough to easily fit in the standard loop. That is good because I can't stand the look of the big loops.
To each his own but my rifles will keep the standard loop levers. Besides, how many of us actually shoot with gloves on? I sure don't, not even in 20 degree weather for hunting. Gloves is first thong to go when a shot presents itself.

MGySgt
12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
When I am hunting with my 1895 GG the small leaver does not bother me. But when shooting off the bench or practice from different positions - my knukles have been bloodied.

My 1894 44mag hurts too but so far it has not drawn blood!

starmac
12-28-2010, 05:58 PM
LOL add a minus sign to that 20% and you might shoot with gloves on.

We went and shot a few rounds last week as around 30 below and any gloves that my finger would still fit in the trigger guard still lets them get too cold to play too long.

Guesser
12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I also don't like the large loop levers, I've found some good deals on used guns, Marlin and Winchester that had the large. I've changed them out for standard levers and marketed the large loops for a substantial profit. The large loops are very unattractive in my opinion. The term"all show and no go" comes to mind. Just me and my friends here in my personal codger cave.

Rick Hodges
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I think the levers are tight and I wear a medium size glove. However I only put 2 fingers in the lever and all is okay.

WyrTwister
12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Why are guys switching their guns over to the large loop. Is it only for using gloves? I can work my regular loop 336 with gloves on. ROn

There was a generation that grew up watching " Rifleman " ......... :-)

God bless
Wyr

PatMarlin
12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Then there was the first scenes in "The Last Samurai" where Tom Cruise shoots up the stage with a Winchester 1873 he called a "Trapper" with a large loop.

I don't like Tom Cruise in real life cause I think he's an idiot- specially for leaving the tall Blondie Nichole (did her a favor), but I like the movie.

Dogg
12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Guess it is to each there own. I have really large hands, XXX gloves and I can hardly get my hands in the regular lever, shot my cowboy with a hot 485gr load and thought I had broke a finger or two. Since then I have switched the large lever and a pistol grip stock over to the cowboy and it has become my altime favorite. I had to steal the large loop lever from my GBL to do this and now need to find a large loop for it and for my LTD IV. So any of you who don't like the large loop I will gladly switch my regular loop for them. Or at this point sell my GBL with the small regular loop and walnut stock to anyone looking for a GBL without a large loop.LOL
Dogg

PatMarlin
12-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Pictures please!!

I think they just look cool!

12-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Looks cool? I guess, kinda. But then again some think that holding a semi-auto handgun sideways "looks cool". :) As far as practicality of a large loop.... dunno. It would need a pot bellied saddle scabbard for sure- kind of the antithesis of the sleek, trim SRC.

Pic of The Duke's 92 used in some of the movies of the day- photo courtesy of RL Wilson's Winchester book. (sorry no pics of a Marlin large loop)

btroj
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry Pat but I can't stand em. I think they look stupid.

To each there own. It is a ford chevy thing to me. I hate em, others love em. Sort of like scout scopes. Ugly to me but hey, it ain't my gun.

PatMarlin
12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey no problem, it is personal preference like pearl grips on a Colt and I won't take 405 comparing me to a gang banger personal ...:mrgreen:

I don't like the real big loop like the John Wayne one, but I do like the smaller versions like Mule is making. I think he and I may do some trading.

I think he's done an excellent job on the design, styling, and lines on these two types. Just perfect and compliments the rifle IMO...

http://www.patmarlins.com/1muleloop.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/2muleloop.jpg

Now would I put one on my 39 Century LTD? ....no.

12-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey, I hope no one on this board thinks the gangstah hold is cool looking! But obviously quite a few out there in the movie/tv audience does. As far as the large loop levers.... I'm kind of neutral. The most I can say about the large loop is that it is distinctive. That means when one shows up at the range or at a shoot everyone will notice. Of course there's a huge downside. If the large loop target is merely frightened by the looks of the big lever and all the others are shooting the bull out then it kinda takes the fat out of the balloon. The moral of that story is if you show up at the range with one- better make sure it WILL shoot. :)

As far as the two Marlins pictured- I could live with those and can see some practicality.

btroj
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Those two I could see, if I had bigger hands. It is just that some I have seen are so big they just don't look right. Same reason I don't like the scout scope thing, it just doesn't look quite right.
As for the gansta thing...... I was told they hold em that way because it is how they come in the box. Just not smart enough to figure out the proper hold.

crabo
12-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Here's mine, Bass Ackwards says, "Sort of looks like a Sifi lever that might shoot energy beams or something now."

josper
12-30-2010, 03:58 AM
I put one on my marlin 1895 guide gun and I like it very much.A heck of a lot more comfortable and better when wearing gloves or mitts in cold weather.

Ziptar
12-30-2010, 08:12 AM
You'll either love or hate this then....

http://ziptar.com/Marlin/39M/Marlin_39M_1.jpg

It's a Marlin 39M .22 I got cheap, basically a truck gun I'll be fixing up. It's got the biggest darn loop I've ever seen. Its a .22 so recoil couldn't have been the motivation, it was either owned by an 800lb Gorilla or someone who really thought big loops were cool. It's custom, someone put allot of work into it.

I've got big hands and they fit in the giant loop better than the standard 39 lever but I am still in the fence about keeping it, there is a little too much space when cycling it.

I need to shoot it more.

btroj
12-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Maybe that was so it could be carried over your shoulder like a purse?

Ziptar
12-30-2010, 08:25 AM
:lol: Maybe I should patent it and make infomercials!

"Tired of having to use that old sling and separate finger lever?

Then you need the Slevering®, Order now!"

PatMarlin
12-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Tell you what... I wish the made a large loop for my Makita skill saw, specially today as cold as it was.

Crabo- you are quoting BA-John... :groner:

bigted
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
awwwwwwwsome!!! lol i guess that as with anything else there are gonna be the way out side of everything as is in evidence here with big to small and everything in between.

my levers are certainly not the large loop style. they are of the persuasion of the photo of crabo's lever. this style came on my new sbl gun and i purchased one for my straight grip 444 shorty. both keep my knuckle from bleeding and are wayyyyy more comfy for my oversize mits...and i also live here in the cold fairbanks area but gloves on when shooting is not my style of fun so when its cold enough to freeze coffee poured outta the cup before it hits the ground...ill be inside reloading or screwing around here on this computer reading and stirring the pot on a rare ocassion...lol

JudgeBAC
12-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Crabo: Nice rig, how about giving us some specifics.

danny.k
12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
I needed a bigger "loop" for my Marlin 1895g because most of my hunting is done in cold weather....really cold.
Hunting without heavy gloves is NOT an option.

Buying a big-looped-lever was not an option due to extreme $ shortage....

So i made my own largeloop-lever.
Havnt had time(been huntin) or funds to blue it yet but will eventually.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/DSC00416.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/DSC00376.jpg

Tazman1602
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
I'll tell ya' why they're not only functional but cool as all git out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whG709cszo4

And if you're one of the generation of people who grew up watching this you've probably got a dent in your shoulder or face from trying that cool move............because it was before you realized Chuck Connors was like 6'5" with arms like a gorilla....

Art

btroj
12-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I hunt with gloves but don't shoot with them. If I see a deer, squirrel,whatever I quickly pull of the glove on my trigger finger hand. Just don't like to have no feel on the trigger like I get with a glove on. Heck, I once shot a hipower march with no glove on trigger hand. Snowing and high around 20 degrees. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Like bitter said, if it too cold to shoot the way I want then I stay inside.

danny.k
12-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I hunt with gloves but don't shoot with them. If I see a deer, squirrel,whatever I quickly pull of the glove on my trigger finger hand. Just don't like to have no feel on the trigger like I get with a glove on. Heck, I once shot a hipower march with no glove on trigger hand. Snowing and high around 20 degrees. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Like bitter said, if it too cold to shoot the way I want then I stay inside.

Wouldnt be shootin many animals doing like that("fiddeling with gloves") over here during "driven-hunts" thats for shure. Thats sudden fast shootingopportunitys on game driven by dogs.
I use gloves with "peep-hole" for my triggerfinger.

Well if its to cold then its to cold...deer on first pic was shot at -20celsius.

btroj
12-31-2010, 05:37 PM
I sit on a stand or the ground and wait em out. Lots of time to remove a glove. And -20 celsius is cold enough to keep me indoors. You guys that live in areas like Sweden may get used to that cold bit I sure don't. But come on over and enjoy our 95 degrees and humid as all get out in the summer. It is almost worse than the cold!

danny.k
12-31-2010, 06:29 PM
:mrgreen: I cant stand heat like that...gettin a bit of a sweat just reading about it:mrgreen:.

crabo
01-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Crabo: Nice rig, how about giving us some specifics.

Marlin 45/70 GBL

XS Sight rail and sights, same as on the SBL

Cabellas Lace on Cheekpiece, puts your eyes on the right spot so you can get a good cheekweld

Luepold 1.25x4 European 30mm scope with Warne QD rings (Christmas present from my wife, sister and mother)

Wild West Happy trigger

I am really happy with the way it turned out.

Canuck Bob
01-01-2011, 08:20 PM
My stock 444 does whack my hand sometimes. Also the front swivel hits my hand.

Considering alternatives to this problem.

tcrocker
01-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I have xxl hand and the reg levers are just too small.
http://http://thumb3.webshots.net/t/69/469/8/79/12/2425879120103526723OwqsBc_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2425879120103526723OwqsBc)
http://http://thumb3.webshots.net/t/69/469/8/79/12/2425879120103526723OwqsBc_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2425879120103526723OwqsBc)

wills
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
You'll either love or hate this then....

It's a Marlin 39M .22 I got cheap, basically a truck gun I'll be fixing up. It's got the biggest darn loop I've ever seen. Its a .22 so recoil couldn't have been the motivation, it was either owned by an 800lb Gorilla or someone who really thought big loops were cool. It's custom, someone put allot of work into it.

I've got big hands and they fit in the giant loop better than the standard 39 lever but I am still in the fence about keeping it, there is a little too much space when cycling it.

I need to shoot it more.

Maybe that is so you can hang it on a fence post.

wheezengeezer
01-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Whoever made it had no sense of style or function.

btroj
01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I have come to a conclusion.
You guys don't need larger lever loops, you need a diet plan for your hands!
:groner:

longrifle
01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/ellis2269/IMG_0090.jpg

They are just cool and behave really well, like a good Plott Hound

PatMarlin
01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
I have come to a conclusion.
You guys don't need larger lever loops, you need a diet plan for your hands!
:groner:

You guys been casting to much lead... :mrgreen:

http://www.patmarlins.com/snoop

Where did you get your loop longrifle?

[smilie=6:

Ziptar
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Where did you get your loop longrifle?

[smilie=6:

Looks to be an 1895GBL, came from the factory with that loop.

longrifle
01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Jays sporting goods in clare Michigan 620 out the door, the plott was a rescue in texas both are keepers

jr545
01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
I just installed a WWG on my 45-70GG.....my fingers are already thanking me.
I have medium large mitts and the recoil of the GG pinches the ^&* out of my fingers.
My many 336's and 1894's all wear factory levers as I'm not wild about the look of the large loop, in my case its function over form with the GG.