PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog is the Man!!!!!

Centaur 1
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I received my new mold several weeks ago, but it was a Christmas present so I wasn't allowed to use it until now. I'm still relatively new to casting boolits. I started casting back in April, and until now I've only used Lee two cavity molds and things have been working pretty smooth. I don't know if all Lee six cavity molds are this nice or if they are made to a higher standard for Ranch Dog, but I had good boolits on the third fill and none stick in the mold. Quality is a step way above their two cavity molds. The best part is that in just two hours I estimate that I made over 1500 boolits. I am definately stoked about this mold, it's awesome. Oh, btw it's a TL358-100RF that I planned on using in my Ruger LCP, but after seeing them I'm going to try them in 9mm and .38 special too. My son has a 9mm AR-15 and these should make some great small game boolits, a real 'Dilla Killa. Thanks Ranch Dog. [smilie=w:

Centaur 1
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Today I thought I'd try and just dip the base of the boolits in a small dish with Recluse lube in it. The idea was to dip the base and stand them up so that the nose stays clean. I did ten of them before pulling out the whipped butter tub that I use for tumble lubing. Five minutes later I had all 1550 of my little golden boolits laying on a piece of wax paper. :-D The Bull Shop carries this boolit for $14.25 per 100, which would cost someone $220 for what I cast in just 2 hours. How many other hobbies are this much fun, and can save you this much money?

Ole
12-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Just wait until you try that bullet with a HP drilled into it.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Bullet%20making/HPranchdogbullet.jpg :mrgreen:

BCall
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I love RD's molds. I normally tunble lube them, then size them to crimp on the checks. Then I dip lube them, standing them up to dry. RD used to have a tutorial on his old site about how he did it. I kinda followed that. After that have dried for a little while, I move them and wipe the bases, the scoop up the extra lube that ran off and put it back in the bottle. Once they are pretty dry, I run them through the push through sizer one more time and it seems to push the lube into the lube grooves and fills them up. Then I let them dry for a few days, and I never have trouble with them being tacky. They shoot very well for me this way.

I always read other guys saying "too much alox", but I don't have a problem with them this way. No leading up to as fast as I can shoot them and mine aren't tacky enough to pick up any more dirt than any other shell I may have in my pocket. I dunno, but it works for me.

These are some 45's I cast a couple of weeks ago. 425's on the left, 350's on the right. The middle ones I wiped the noses off just to see how hard it was to do, which wasn't hard, especially with some mineral spirits on the rag. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the alox fills the lube grooves completely.

The smaller ones are awfully hard to dip lube though, but some alox on the nose keeps them tacky enough to hold onto. That being said, I only tumble lube the pistol boolits. I only dip lube the rifle ones.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851220.jpg

Centaur 1
12-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Those hollow points look awesome Ole. What diameter are yours right from the mold? Mine are coming out between .360-.3605 so I think that I need to get a .358 sizer for them.

Ole
12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Those hollow points look awesome Ole. What diameter are yours right from the mold? Mine are coming out between .360-.3605 so I think that I need to get a .358 sizer for them.

Mine ran about the same, but for some reason, I didn't need to size them in my pistol.

Centaur 1
12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
My .380 slugs at .3573 so it should be fine, but I'm out of primers so I didn't load any. I do have a bunch of primed 9mm brass so I tried to load a few of them. They seemed to chamber ok but the case is .002 over spec and it bulged slightly. My 9mm slugs right at .355 so it wouldn't hurt to size them down those .002". I hope to buy primers tomorrow and see how they fit in the .380.

Centaur 1
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I picked up a .358" sizer today along with the primers that I needed. I'm pretty happy because they only charged me $13.95 for the Lee push through sizer set, and primer prices have dropped again. I don't know how much everyone here is paying for them, but nine months ago I was paying $42/1000 and today I payed $31/1000.

Ranch Dog
12-29-2010, 09:17 PM
That Mustang Pocklite would make anyone want to shoot a 380 Auto! Thanks for your comments guys! Ole, what are you using to tap the hollow point and what do the bullets weigh after?

Ole
12-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Ole, what are you using to tap the hollow point and what do the bullets weigh after?

JiminPhx made a homemade hollow pointing jig like the one pictured here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=889051&postcount=88).

My boolits weigh 100-101 before HP'ing and about 94.5gr after.

Ranch Dog
12-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks!

diehard
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I concur with all the Kudos spoken here. Ranch Dog is the man!

I own two RD molds that are far beyond anyone's reasonable expectations for perfect fit and function, and am filling my piggy bank to get his TLC359-190-RF [Yes, RD my Dad handed me his "heirloom" Marlin last week! You should have seen the way he held it until he handed it over. He really wanted me to have it, but seemed to find it hard to let it go. I may post a pic on BJJ soon....but I digress!]

Due to the weather hereabouts and another clumsy accident that tore my achilles, I haven't shot any of the .380 bullets yet...but they are loaded and ready to go.

I have learned a great deal about casting, lubing, and molds in general from Ranch Dog's posts, website, and correspondence with him. He really knows his stuff, does his homework, and designs flawless bullets. All that , and he's generous, thoughtful, and kind too!

Better stop now or I'll have him running for President....

...but he certainly is the Man!

diehard

Ranch Dog
12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Diehard, good to hear from you and sorry you are down in the heal! Thanks for your kind words! Can't wait to see the rifle and I understand how and why you Dad had trouble handing it over!

Onty
01-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Michael (Ranch Dog Outdoors),

Is this your current website http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/ ? The one listed under your name isn’t working.

Happy New Year to all!

Onty

Old Goat Keeper
01-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Onty that IS Michael's current site and it is working.

Tom

Michael (Ranch Dog Outdoors),

Is this your current website http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/ ? The one listed under your name isn’t working.

Happy New Year to all!

Onty

Ranch Dog
01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Actually, Onty was referring to the link in my signature which wasn't working. I corrected that via my Droid while I was out hunting this evening but forgot to say something here. Thanks for keeping me straight fellows, I don't want anyone missing out on a RDO Mold! Finally got my 45 Colt molds on the shelf this evening after I got in from the hunt and have started selling it!

TLC454-290-RF (http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5_28&products_id=25)

This is my gas checked bullet to make the 45 Colt all in can be in the modern Levergun!

phaessler
01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
All I can say is I am using the TLC323-170Rf in my 8mm Mauser's and I cant make them fast enough it seems, now that I was able to buy a 6 cavity, its like shooting a .22
Thanks again Michael.

Pete

Gohon
01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Ordered the TLC454-290-RF last night as soon as I received the notification. If it shoots half as good as the two other RD moulds I've bought I'll be tickled pink.

kelbro
01-02-2011, 10:16 PM
First casts yesterday with a TLC-311-165 that I bought a while back. Wow! No sticky cavities. Consistent weights across all cavities. 6-bangers sure throw a bunch of boolits quickly. That comes in handy since I usually only cast in the winter (which is very short here).

Had the same quality with the TLC-432-265 mold too.

Next on my wish list is the TLC-359-190.

Great products at a great price by a guy that actually USES his product. What more could you ask for?

1Shirt
01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Have 6 Ranch Dog molds, and there isn't a clunker in the bunch. Only have two Marlins, 44&444, but his molds shoot well in every thing that I shoot them thru. The 375 is one of the most accurate blt that I have loaded in my H&H. Now if Michael would find the time to develop a heavy 375 (say in the 275-300 grain size). I shoot some of his with Lee mule snot, some with Lars red and they all shoot very well. Those that I lube w/Lars Red, I size as close as possible to as cast size because I want as much lube as possible without sizing down the dia.
1Shirt!:coffee:

44man
01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I bought the RD 265 gr for the .44 Marlin but since sold it. The RD boolit will hold 1-1/4" at 100 yards all day out of my old SBH. I use Felix lube, applied with my fingers. His TL boolits work perfect with a better lube.
Whitworth refuses to use any other boolit in his model 29. I make him sit and apply gas checks and lube! :bigsmyl2:

Dannix
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Actually, Onty was referring to the link in my signature which wasn't working. I corrected that via my Droid while I was out hunting this evening
I got a kick out of that.

Michael, I got my 311-165 via the long toothed NOE GB that just concluded, but I got to say I'm really looking forward to trying it out, and I appreciate the load data and sketches you have on your site for this boolit. Thanks! I'm happy you're back in the game now and wish you the best.

Newtire
07-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I concur with what someone said earlier about the RanchDog 6-cavity moulds being easy to cast with. I have the .25-20, a .32, and now this .380 and they all make casting short work. I understand there is a 2nd design on the .380 with a smaller meplat? Maybe I misheard? Anyway, this large meplat one that I have functions without flaw in my Bersa "Thunder". Too bad the lawyers have things so screwed up as far as being able to use reloaded ammo for carry loads.