PDA

View Full Version : Winchester or Marlin Caliber?

sixpointfive
12-27-2010, 06:54 PM
After having a blast shooting and casting for my Marlin 1895 guide gun (45-70) I am starting to think about getting another lever gun for deer hunting and cowboy action shooting. The question is what is the better rifle the Winhester or marlin lever action and what would be the best cartride choice. I was leaning toward 45 colt.

I know I am opening up a can of worms here.

also what woud the value be for a 94 winchester Dark Walnut, all original. The S/N is 64475xx, I'd guess it's about 6-8 years old, not sure.

6pt-sika
12-27-2010, 07:52 PM
For a pistol class cartridge I "prefer" Marlin Model 1894's over the Winchester 94's .

The Marlin Model 1894 was designed for short cartridges while the Winchester Model 94 was "adapted" to accept them .

You could get a knock off of a Winchester Model 1892 or Model 1873 from someone like Puma or Uberti or some such .

But still my personal prefernce is the Marlin model 1894 .

AJ Peacock
12-27-2010, 08:00 PM
6pt-sitka has it right.

Get a Marlin 94, they are the best most bullet proof rifle for pistol cartridges made and they can take full tilt loads.

For Cowboy Action Shooting, the Marlin is the best 'off the shelf' rifle.

A Uberti clone of the Winchester '73 is very good and is used by most of the top shooters, but it is a toggle link action that requires a lot of gunsmithing to be as fast (short stroked) as the Marlin.

Also, the toggle link action is not as strong (not even close) as the Marlin with it's locking block.

As far as caliber, the 45lc is great if you are ever going to shoot black powder, as it resists fouling better than the .357/38spcl. If you want to shoot it a lot and are only using smokeless powder, the .357 is very hard to beat. It's cheaper to shoot (less lead/shot). For hunting, it would depend on the game, as both the 45lc and the 357 are great in the right situation.

The .357 would likely be easier to sell if you ever decided to get rid of it.

Hope that helps,
AJ

Lonegun1894
12-29-2010, 12:08 AM
I can not speak for or against the Marlin, but since both Winchester 94s and 92 have been brought up, and I have the 94 in .357 and .45, along with Rossi 92s also in both, I can tell you that the 92s are much smoother. Both models are equally accurate, but as has been said above, there is a difference between being scaled and built for a pistol cartridge, and just being adapted to function.

Artful
12-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Overall I must say Marlin - I do love my Rossi 92 in 357 but all the rest of my pistol caliber are Marlin's they seem to offer more advantages, easier takedown for cleaning, side ejection if you want to mount a sight on top, etc.

Trifocals
12-29-2010, 02:39 AM
My vote goes to Marlin. They are quite accurate and reliable. There are many who worship at the alter of Winchester. There is nothing wrong with a pre '64 '94, but Winchester had many quality control issues in later years. Insofar as caliber, the .30-30 is a proven deer cartridge. I have recently been using the .35 Remington cartridge and love it. It's everything the .30-30 is but with more "thump". If you are inclined to use factory fodder, Hornady's Leverevolution ammo is great stuff. If you plan to use cast boolits you can't go wrong with Ranch Dog's. They were designed for Marlins. LOL

btroj
12-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I have 5 Marlins so I may be biased......
The Marlin is much easier to disassemble for cleaning from the breech. Like has been said, the 1894 was made for pistol cartridges and it works great for them.
The side eject is nice too if you want to mount a scope at some time.
I would not take anything for my Marlin 1894cb in 45 colt. It is my favorite rifle by far.

Dan Cash
12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Winchesters are wonderful guns, at least the older ones. That being said, my vote goes to pre Remington Marlins for quality and accuracy. As has been said, the Marlin is much easier to dissassemble and maintain, especially if you wish to shoot black powder. If you will only shoot smokeless, the Rossi Puma is a fine gun and I think, the mechanical equal of the Winchester 92 though the wood is sometimes not up to par. I have a Puma in .45 and prefer it to the Marlin 94s.

WyrTwister
12-29-2010, 12:57 PM
After having a blast shooting and casting for my Marlin 1895 guide gun (45-70) I am starting to think about getting another lever gun for deer hunting and cowboy action shooting. The question is what is the better rifle the Winhester or marlin lever action and what would be the best cartride choice. I was leaning toward 45 colt.

I know I am opening up a can of worms here.

also what woud the value be for a 94 winchester Dark Walnut, all original. The S/N is 64475xx, I'd guess it's about 6-8 years old, not sure.

You can hunt deer with the .45-70 . What distance are you talking about ?

I do not do CAS , but .45 LC would be fine . The real hot competitors tend to drift toward the older toggle lin actions ( 1873? ) . But I think they get pricy ?

Also consider the Rossi .45 LC for CAS . I have one in .45 LC and one in .357 Mag . Both are relatively cheap to shoot with reloads & my home cast bullets .

I also have a Marlin .44 Mag . It wears a scope and a slip on recoil pad . I like to try to shoot at rocks and dirt clods at 200 yards . Off of a rest .

God bless
Wyr

KirkD
12-29-2010, 01:02 PM
If you are leaning toward the 45 Colt, then my number one recommendation would be to get your hands on one of the limited edition Winchester Model 92's chambered in that caliber. They were built in the Miroku factory and the fit, finish and quality are excellent. Since they were built about 10 years ago, you would have to search the used gun auctions, but they turn up from time to time. The 45 Colt can be loaded up to awesome levels in a modern Model 92 action (see Paco Kelly's article on the cartridge).

45r
12-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I think you would be happy with a Marlin 357mag or 45colt Cowboy.They are getting hard to get for a good price now.The 357 would be excellent for cowboy action.There are some pretty amazing clips showing guys shooting 10 rounds in around 2 seconds with a Marlin.

EDK
12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Get a MARLIN...if you shop the internet auctions, you might find a used 24 inch octagon barrel. 44 or 45 caliber are running cheaper than the 357...since it was discontinued, the 24 inch 357 brings a premium. 20 inch is also a good choice.

Glenn Fryxell's article on 1894s at lasc.us will give you a lot of good loads and data. John Taffin, our most prolific gun writer, said something to the effect that "a 357 lever gun is the third most useful firearm you'll own; a 22 LR rifle and pistol being tied for first."

I shoot 44s mostly, but I've got 357s also....and 30/30 and 45/70 Cowboy Rifles. They're all good!

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

Four Fingers of Death
01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
I have samples of them all. 1866 (repro), 1873s (original and repro), 1892s (original and repro), 94Marlin, 94 Winchesters, (pre and post 64), 336 Marlin, 444 Marlin and 1895 45/70 Marlins.

I think it boils down to usage mostly.

Cowboy action use only?=1873
Cowboy action and hunting(unscoped)= 1894 Marlin or 92 Rossi.
Cowboy action and hunting (scoped)= 1894 Marlin

Rifle Calibre unscoped= Winchester 94
Rifle Calibre scoped= Marlin 336

Big bore rifle calibre= Marlin 444 or 1895 (Possibly Winchester Big Bore if you can find one).

As far as strength goes in pistol calibre levers the 92s are the strongest, you don't see marlins or Winchesters chambered in 454, but you do see 92 and they work well. 94 Winchesters are not popular in pistol lenght calibres, but are ok. They work well as a rule, but are a bit slow for continual fast cycling, such as cowboy action, but work well as hunting arms and are sometimes cheap. Don't try and hot rod it like the Rossi or it will disassemble. I always thought that they would be stronger being chambered for rifle cartridges, but that is not the case apparently.

Heavy lead
01-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Here's my .02, I've got both, more or less I would buy a Marlin, however the advantage to a 94 Winchester, if you can find one is IME, they can be made, if they already don't, to feed almost anything. I have a Trails End made in the early 2000's, before they put the tang safety on, in .45 Colt and it will feed anything, SWC's, long noses (at least up to .43). I also have an old .44 top eject, this would not feed anything long from the factory, but it does now, it's a simple mod that a little file work will take care of on the follower, it now feeds boolits as long as .470, I shoot the Blammer honcho'd NOE .430-300 hollow points and the 330 solids out of it all day. The Marlin will never do that, it just isn't long enough, so it depends on what you want to do with it, and if you necessarliy want to taylor your loads to just one lever gun.

1Shirt
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
:coffeecomI would like one of each Win and Marlin in each ctg that they were made of. Now that isn't going to happen due to lack of funding. Love my long bbl 94Win in 357 (angle eject by the way so it is scoped). Fond of my 94 30-30 but sure wish it had a longer bbl. My 444 Marlin is an early one, micro groove and shoots well with anything I put down it. My most recent lever is a 44Mag in an older Marlin with micro as well. Agree with btroj regarding cleaning of Marlins. Take down is simple and breach cleaning is great. Wish I could find a lever in 375Win or 38-55 and would not care who made it. That said, if I were going by druthers, would by choice pic Marlins.
1Shirt!

northmn
01-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Were I to pick it would be a Marlin CB as they now use Ballard rifling. As to caliber I would tqake a 44mag over a 45 Colt. The 45 colt is not a rifle cartridge. I shot a Rossi loaded with light charges in a 45 colt and it spit in my face. Also the rim is too thin. A 44 Mag gives a better selection of factory loads for a hunting gun and one can use 44 specials for Cowboy shooting. Until the Cowboy action shooting brike loose recently no lever gun was offered in 45. Another .02 cents

DP

Eutectic
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Original Winchester Model 92 for pistol size cartridges....

BeemerMark
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
The Winchester is lighter, the Marlin has way more advantages. For hunting that involves a lot of hiking and climbing I'd take the Winchester. Everything else I'd take the Marlin.

The 45-70 will do about everything for hunting (except for duck hunting) load it heavy, load it light. If you want another lever gun I'd look for a 30-30. Nobody wants them, there are thousands for sale and $300 is about the most you could expect to pay. The 30-30 is another great cartridge loaded heavy or light.

runfiverun
01-03-2011, 01:31 AM
i would think it wouldn't be too hard to load a 45-70 to use for duck hunting.
the soldiers out here used to shoot 410 shells through thier 73' springfields for rabbits and birds.

any ways i prefer the 92's, originals, brownings ,rossi's.
or even my 20 year old 45 colt, navy arms 92.
if i were gonna use it for hunting i'd find a short rifle, the rifle versions have smoother actions than the carbines do [dunno why but all 5 of my rifles are smoother than the 3 carbines i have]
the 94's are okay too and feed well, but i prefer the 92's over either of my 94 pistol cartridges.
in the 30-30 rifles the 94 is excellent, both my pre and post are fine rifles. [havent tried a marlin]
and the only other one i have to compare to is a savage bolt gun.

as far as the 375 win goes the win big bore i have beats my marlin straight up hands down,
except in the recoil dept. it's smoother ,more accurate, the sights work better with cast , and looks better too.
you'll find a marlin for less than a rossi or win though. except the cowboy model [i wonder whty they changed the bbl for a cowboy model???]

NickSS
01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
+1 on what Four Fingers of Death said. I too have them all and in a pistol caliber rifle I would pick a 92 Win clone in 44 mag or 45 Colt for what you want to do unless you want to put a scope on it for hunting then buy the Marlin. I have several 94 Winchesters both top and angle eject in 30-30, 45 colt and 44 Mag. I would pick any of them for deer hunting but not for CAS shooting as they are too slow in cycling. The fastest cycling and smoothest action for a lever gun strictly for CAS shooting is any of the toggle link Winchesters or clones of them. However, They can not be hot loaded for hunting. The 92 Winchester and clones are also very smooth once you break them in and are the strongest lever action out there bare none. The Marlin is great for both hunting and CAS but is heavier than the 92 for hunting unless you want to scope it. For just a hunting gun either use your 45-70 which can do the job on anything in the US or get a 30-30 Win 94 unless you want to scope it them get a marlin.

btroj
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM
To me one of the greatest attributes of the Marlin is ease of cleaning from the breech. This is not an easy proposition with a Winchester.
A Marlin is also very easy to completely strip down to a bare receiver. This allows cleaning and lubing should the needs arise, which in my case is annually. My Marlin 1894 took a bath when I feel by a pond during deer season. Was easy to strip down and clean/oil. Would not want to do this on a Winchester.

northmn
01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
My Marlin is a CB 30-30 with Ballard rifling. I have taken 5 deer with it and really like it for that pupose. I also use cast bullets for deer. The 30-30 is a very versatile cartridge in that it can be loaded to 32-20 levels or up to deer levels. Probably the most under rated cartridge ever.

DP

Four Fingers of Death
01-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Soup cans to 170Gn'ers, does most stuff that needs doing!

Gee_Wizz01
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Unless I need a scope, I prefer the 92 win or a Rossi over a Marlin in pistol calibers. I own both, but my Rossi's get shot more, because I like the way they feel. I would much rather clean a Marlin as it is easy to disassemble for cleaning. Both are accurate and fun to shoot. The 45 Colt is a fun caliber and either the Rossi 92 or the Marlin they can be loaded hot without a problem. Be very careful when buying a Marlin made after 2008, because the quality is spotty and there seem to be a lot of problems with 2009 built guns. Hopefully Remington/Marlin will take care of these issues, but its a **** shoot buying a new Marlin right now.

G

HighHook
01-06-2011, 05:32 AM
i would think it wouldn't be too hard to load a 45-70 to use for duck hunting.
the soldiers out here used to shoot 410 shells through thier 73' springfields for rabbits and birds.

any ways i prefer the 92's, originals, brownings ,rossi's.
or even my 20 year old 45 colt, navy arms 92.
if i were gonna use it for hunting i'd find a short rifle, the rifle versions have smoother actions than the carbines do [dunno why but all 5 of my rifles are smoother than the 3 carbines i have]
the 94's are okay too and feed well, but i prefer the 92's over either of my 94 pistol cartridges.
in the 30-30 rifles the 94 is excellent, both my pre and post are fine rifles. [havent tried a marlin]
and the only other one i have to compare to is a savage bolt gun.

as far as the 375 win goes the win big bore i have beats my marlin straight up hands down,
except in the recoil dept. it's smoother ,more accurate, the sights work better with cast , and looks better too.
you'll find a marlin for less than a rossi or win though. except the cowboy model [i wonder whty they changed the bbl for a cowboy model???]

No Doubt about it the 94 375 win Takes the cake. Not a heavy rifle to hunt with and one mean Caliber...

Snapping Twig
01-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Lots of good info in this thread.

I hope I can add something of value.

IMO, having pistol caliber carbines presents a dilemma. The issue is power. Let's say you have a Colt Peacemaker in .45 and an 1894 in .45. The Colt can take loads up to midrange power whereas the 1894 can take loads listed for Ruger and TC ONLY in the back of the reloading books. How will you distinguish these loads? What issues would ensue if they were fired out of the Colt?

For this reason, I'm of the opinion that an 1894 .44 mag is the choice pistol caliber for your carbine.

Using slow powders like Little Gun or W296/H110 or 2400, velocities @ 1800fps are common for 265g cast rounds with no pressure issues and these loads can easily be fired in any .44 mag. I use these loads in my S&W's all the time - they go @ 1200fps in the revolvers, but due to the increased barrel length and slow burn rate they are faster from the carbine.

Add to this all the factory rounds available anywhere you go. Not so much with .45 and there are NO stout loads to be found for the .45 save for Garrett, CorBon and Buffalo Bore.

I admit to owning a 45-70 guide gun and if you reload, it's really your answer, but it is heavier and more cumbersome than the 1894 FWIW.

Four Fingers of Death
01-08-2011, 04:28 AM
One answer is to load your stout carbine hunting loads in nickle cases only. That way you can carry two loads safely.
I'd also be marking the bases with lots of red permanent marker ink.
If that doesn't pull you up, wellllllllllll, I don't know what to say.

We aren't allowed to use handguns to hunt here, but in reality, I'm not all that interested in carrying a heavy sidearm that is nowhere near as powerful as my rifle. I'd like to be able to make to make that decision myself. I am not all that interested in carrying a handgun that is close to my rifle cartridge doesn't make sense. I'd be more inclined to carry a rimfire or small calibre pistol with a powerful rifle and a powerful handgun with a rimfire or small calibre rifle.

missionary5155
01-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Greetings
Of all the lever actions I have and owned my Marlin 41 mag CB was THE worst feeder. It would only feed RN boolits in a somewhat consitant way. Did all the tricks listed on the Marlin site and it works reasonably well.
But for a 45 Colt rifle the 92 models are the best for me. Have 2 Rossi carbines and they work flawlessly. The Interarms one is a nicer fit but both shoot accurate and have never flinched with any sane load to include loads that flat hurt at both ends. But then I only weight 155.

1Shirt
01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I very much like what he says, and the logic behind 4 Fingers threads here.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Four Fingers of Death
01-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Thank you 1shirt, I do try, in fact most people say I'm very trying! :D