PDA

View Full Version : CZ Vz24 from AIM Surplus

Landric
12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm planning on firing up the C&R FFL to buy myself a 8mm Mauser of some type before too long. AIM surplus has some Vz24 rifles that look nice in the pictures. Has anyone purchased on recently? How did it look? How did it shoot?

Thanks!

Von Dingo
12-27-2010, 06:01 PM
They look nice. I have a VZ produced Persian rifle, and with the issue sights, and Remington slugs over 4350, I was getting around 1.5-2 inches at 100 yards.

arjacobson
12-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I was looking at one of those also. I have had good luck with aim. Wish they had tokarovs in stock:-(

Ben
12-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm not saying that AIM's bores are bad. I am saying that every time I pick up a VZ -24 at a gun show during the past 10 yrs. the bores are pitted and corroded beyond any practical use! I hope your rifle has a bright, sharp, shiney bore in it.

Landric
12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Do you have an opinion on the Yugo 8mm rifles floating around?

C1PNR
12-27-2010, 10:31 PM
About all I can say is that I bought a VZ 24 from AIM, but it was about 5 years ago, and the same for the M48's, but I got them from two different dealers and at about the same time.

All three rifles have very good bores and are high on my list of "take it out and shoot" guns. Mostly with surplus ammo right now, but I take a large thermos of hot water do run through the barrel after shooting, followed by a couple of dry patches and a good cleaning when we get home. Man, that surplus ammo is Dirty!:shock:

bkbville
12-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Most of the VZ24's are russian captures; I don't think I've seen one that wasn't couterbored.

The M48's; SAMCO has some rated "excellent"; I've seen the "very good" and they are the best mausers I've seen in a long time.

Frank46
12-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Was looking for a nice yugo M48 for the longest time. Never saw one that I liked. One gun show some years back one dealer had one with all the goodies with a slightly inflated price. Out came the bore light and bought it. Mine is the M48 BO model with no crest on the receiver. Beautiful bore and wood. Funny thing is that since then haven't seen another in the same condition. Frank

Landric
12-28-2010, 01:52 AM
I looked at the SAMCO site and saw the 8mm's they have available. I think a turn down bolt version might be in my future.

Dutch4122
12-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I would recommend the 24/47 Yugo Mauser over the current lot of AIM VZ-24 "reworks." You can ask BaBore about the VZ-24's. He ordered one from AIM last year. The rifle had a rough bore that also varied in dimensions; ie, loose and tight spots in the bore when slugged. He rebarreled it with a take-off barrel from a BYF-41 Mauser. Now it shoots very well.

With the 24/47 Yugo Mausers look for those that have been re-worked and then stored. They may not be quite as pretty, but they sure do shoot well.

Hope this helps, :D

Landric
12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Sounds good, it looks like the Yugo guns are a little cheaper as well. I don't ask a lot from my rifles, but I am looking for one that will be a good shooter and fun to play around with.

Dutch4122
12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds good, it looks like the Yugo guns are a little cheaper as well. I don't ask a lot from my rifles, but I am looking for one that will be a good shooter and fun to play around with.

FWIW, my 24/47 really likes the BRP 200 grn 8mm Silhouette design.:mrgreen:

3006guns
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
When the Yugo 8mm's first hit the market back in 1988 or so, I got in on a deal with an FFL buddy and bought a total of 81 rifles....at $20.00 each. Still have a picture somewhere of them lined up on my front porch, made an impressive sight. This pile was a mixture of the M48's, 24-47's, 27's and a couple of 98k Mausers thrown in for giggles. Some without bolts, bores ranging from awful to brand spankin' new.

Over the years most of them went bye bye for other project money, but I kept a 98k and several of the M48's just because the bores were so nice. These will be going to my kids when I go to the big reloading room in the sky.

The Yugos, no matter what model, are a very nice rifle. All the metal was well machined and finished. The stocks seemed to vary from a nice straight grained European walnut to some sort of open grained wood that I couldn't identify. Many of the M48's had no markings other than a serial number. All of them shot great, in fact my favorite is one that I shortened (to get rid of the counter bore) to a length between a 98k and a carbine......sort of a short rifle. Really handy to pack around and dead nuts accurate with cast lead.

If you can locate a Yugo with a good bore, it's probably a third the cost (or less) of a 98k, and you'll be happy with it. Oh, they are "intermediate" length Mauser actions...what we used to call (incorrectly) the short action. Stock manufacturers can provide replacement wood and I think polymer stocks are also available if you want to make a "scout" rifle.