PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

robertbank
12-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I intend to buy a Puma lever gun in .38spl/.357mag. I don't intend to shoot Cowboy action. IS there any advantage/disadvantage between a 16" barel vs 20"? For packing the 16" might be handier. Thoughts?

Take Care

Bob

winelover
12-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Longer barrel = higher velocities and longer sighting plane for increased accuracy.

Winelover

timkelley
12-27-2010, 12:54 PM
I have been told that a .357 will get its full speed in 16 inches with most any normal powder. If you use a longer barrel you may just slow your muzzle velocity.

A longer barrel will probably shoot a little better because of the longer sight radius.

All above having been said, I have a 24 inch LSI Puma and a 16 inch Winchester Trapper in .357 and the Winchester (which has it's own problems) is much more fun for me to shoot.

northmn
12-27-2010, 12:59 PM
What is the use of the rifle. I carry a rifle on my tractor or 4 wheeler when I get wood and the 16 inch would be handier for that use, especially on the 4 wheeler as it would not snag brush. For plinking woudl it matter? As a deer gun I would go 20 inch for a variety of reasons. The 16 inch rule for power might hold depending upon powder used, but I could shoot a 20 inch better with iron sights. With a scope? In a rifle a 357 is really no power house anyway.

DP

Doc Highwall
12-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I would say it depends on your vision if you are going to shoot it with iron sights. I have seen where fellow shooters have switched from shooting an M14 to a M16 and their scores went up because of the gun. Now that they are older and they cannot see the front sight of the M16 clear they are switching back to the M14 because the front sight is farther away and they can focus on the front sight.

robertbank
12-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I plan to use the gun for plinking and also carry it with me for Black Bear protection. I am leaning towards the 16" gun for ease of carry. I have a Win 30-30 Model 94 with a 20" barrel and find it ok as well. I wonder if there is a difference in how the guns balance?

I doubt I'll lose much in the way of velocity between the two guns.

Both I am sure will fit the bill.

Yes I have older eyes and that is something to consider.

Take Care

Bob

KirkD
12-27-2010, 04:53 PM
The older a fellow gets, the more he appreciates a longer barrel to get that front sight out there were his eyes can still focus. I tried my brother-in-law's 30-30 with a 16" barrel. The front sight was so out of focus, I wasn't even sure where it was. In general, with iron sights, the longer the barrel, the longer the sight radius and the more accurate the shooting. If I could get that front sight out about 10 feet from the rear sight, I could probably shoot in the olympics.

robertbank
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
The older a fellow gets, the more he appreciates a longer barrel to get that front sight out there were his eyes can still focus. I tried my brother-in-law's 30-30 with a 16" barrel. The front sight was so out of focus, I wasn't even sure where it was. In general, with iron sights, the longer the barrel, the longer the sight radius and the more accurate the shooting. If I could get that front sight out about 10 feet from the rear sight, I could probably shoot in the olympics.

LOL, My shooting glasses for handgun work great at short ranges but being far sighted if I use them with a rifle I can't see a 100 yard target. I thnk I'll take your advice and settle for a 20" barrel.

Take Care

Bob
ps But a 16" barrel sure would be handy

EDK
12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
I carried an 1894 MARLIN in 44 magnum on my saddle for over 20 years. It was cut to 16.5 and had LYMAN receiver, front and a folder in the rear barrel dovetail. When I moved to smaller acreage, I didn't carry it anymore due to not wanting attention from the Sheriff's department....county is one of the METH capitals! I gave it to my step son...who traded it off for a bolt gun "'cause I need a gun with a scope"...one of numerous blunders on his part It sure carried nice with sling swivels...upside down behind my left shoulder. I think I'll duplicate it again....and not let this one get away.

I would suggest 44 rather than 357; but when you're shooting at something intent on doing you bodily harm, there isn't anything big enough and holding enough boolits.

robertbank
12-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I have considered a 16" in .45LC. Even bigger booilit and when reloaded a bigger punch.

Take Care

Bob

Larry Gibson
12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I traded off my 16" M94 Trapper .44 because my eyes went south. By the time I got enough lens in front of the eye to see the front sight in focs everything past 100 yards was tooo blurred to distinguish what I was shootin at. Got a 24" M92 Rossi in .45 Colt and it works fine. Same reason I can't shoot HP with a M16 service rifle anymore. I can still shoot my handguns with glasses though because i don't shoot beyond 100 yards with iron. Most everything gets a scope these days or a red dot sight. I can still use an aperture rear sight and enjoy the Merits but the aperture has to be pretty small so quick shooting with them isn't a good option any more. All reasons I still favor longer barrels of 24- 26" and am really beginning to aprreciate the long barrel of my trapdoors.

Larry Gibson

quasi
12-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Robert, balance wise the 20" is perfect for me. The 16" is very muzzle light in my hands. This was with .44 mag. 92's, .357's might be different.

Bret4207
12-28-2010, 08:50 AM
My 20" 44 Rossi carries nicely. I wish I had the 357.

PatMarlin
12-28-2010, 06:58 PM
I got a little Winchester 94 16" carbine in 45 colt and replaced the buckhorn sites with a "One Ragged Hole" peep. Pretty neat setup. I don't know if that company is still in business? Only problem with that rifle is the trigger pull is a little harder than my liking.

PatMarlin
12-28-2010, 07:11 PM
http://skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

saz
12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
I have a Puma 454 in 16" and I have to say it carries beautifully. It is a little muzzle light, until you have 8 rounds in the mag and it is perfect to carry. It is my camp gun/home defense piece. I love the 16" barrel, but I will be putting either a lyman peep or XS sight on it eventually.

870TC
12-28-2010, 07:56 PM
16" means its 4 inches closer to your ear....Huh, what did you say?. The shorter one will be louder.

gon2shoot
12-28-2010, 08:48 PM
I have a 16" and a 20" in the 357, both shoot well. The 16" is more fun than a new girlfriend. But; I also have 45s in each length. When I take a walk around the fence-line, or down to the creek, or to the back fourty etc., it's the 45 that's in my hand.

The 16"45 is handy as a shirt pocket and big enough to do anything that needs done here with authority.

Gee_Wizz01
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with a 16" barrel and I love it. Its easy to carry and balances nicely. My eyes are failing but I can see the sights well enough to shoot the rifle pretty good. I also got the big loop lever, which I really didn't want, but it was the only 45 Colt I could find. I figured I would just swap out the lever with a normal one. However after carrying it for several years I have grown to like the large loop. I also have a Rossi in 44 Mag with a 20" barrel, and it does not carry as nicely as the 16". I also use a 4 wheeler and the 16" rifle is a lot easier to carry on the 4 wheeler. I also like the 45 Colt as its not nearly as loud or obnoxious to shoot, and it will dispatch large hogs quite nicely.

G

dgreen
12-28-2010, 09:09 PM
A subtle but very important reocurring comment in this thread is "check the balance with the rifle loaded". My 94 win in 44mag 16 inch handles totaly different when fully loaded with 240 grainers. Never thought about it much till just now.

PatMarlin
12-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I have considered a 16" in .45LC. Even bigger booilit and when reloaded a bigger punch.

Take Care

Bob

For Black Bear and who knows what else in BC I think the 45LC would be a good idea Bob.

saz
12-29-2010, 03:51 AM
For Black Bear and who knows what else in BC I think the 45LC would be a good idea Bob.

Me too.

WyrTwister
12-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Me too.

If I was ever in bear country , I think I would pack either My Marlin .45-70 or a Garand ?

God bless
Wyr

robertbank
01-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Well I bit the bullet and went first with a 20" round barrelled Puma Rossie .38spl/.357Mag. I picked it up NIB for $550Cdn - current selling rate is around $635Cdn up here. Gun should be in my hands by Friday if the post office does their job.

I am now looking for a 16" or 20" Puma Rossie in .45LC. The .357 will be my fun gun plinker/deer/coyote/wolf pooper while the .45LC will be my bush carry rifle.

I'll let you all know how she shoots. I am going to order the DVD on the gun and spend some time cleaning up the action on the gun as well.

All good and thank you all for your comments.

So much to do so little time.

Take Care

Bob

PatMarlin
01-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Awesome!

Pics Bob when the new baby arrives ....!

robertbank
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Well first the good news. The gun arrived two days after the guarnateed delivery date so I get my postage back from our Post Office. 2nd the gun is a pre-FPB gun that has never been shot. I took the original packing grease off of her. The gun levers as smooth as butter. Trigger is as light as I would want it and crisp with no creep. The sights aren't as bad as I thought they would be and I am sure I can live with them.

Now for the bad news. The GD Post Office managed to crack the stock! I darn neared cried! Fortunalety we sent it insured so a claim will be forthcoming. Did I say GD Post Office?

I spoke to a local 'smith and he figures he can fix the stock so I have a 45 minute drive ahead of me tomorrow and another week wait before it is going bang, bang.

Why I have't bought one of these guns years ago is beyond me. I is stupid.

I'll post a picture of my new girl hear later this evening.

Take Care

Bob
ps I levered so dummy rounds through the gun (.39spl practice cartridges from my Ruger) and it seemed to feed them OK. They wanted to catch a bit on the hood of the chamber but with a little force they fed right in. I may have to load the 158gr RN a little longer in .38spl cases.

Did I say I was a happy camper?

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Went to the range today. Rifle performs flawlesly with both .38Spl and .357Mag cst boolits. Gun is shooting a bit to the right and will adjust front sight over the weekend.

Here is the rifle with my Ruger GP-100.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/38JPG.jpg

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
01-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Cold wet and rainy at the range today so all I really did was break the rifle in, found out it is shooting a bit to the rightand know I have a new friend. Warms up to mid 40's by Monday so I may get in some decent trigger time.

Do these rifles favour heavier boolits or lighter? By spring I am going to have a good supply of hollow point lead boolits and will test for expansion at rifle velocitites vs handgun.

Take Care

Bob

PatMarlin
01-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Awesome Bob.

I want to get my wife a 38/357 lever. She likes stuff with some flashy look to it. Does Henry make one?

robertbank
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Awesome Bob.

I want to get my wife a 38/357 lever. She likes stuff with some flashy look to it. Does Henry make one?

I don't know. I have never heard of a Henry in that caliber but you might hear from sombody on the forum. Google their website and see.

I am very pleased with the Rossi. Mine doesn't have the FPB, the action and trigger is quite smooth for being new. You guys can get them so much cheaper than we can. If you can find one, get one. .38Spl +P felt like a .22LR and I am not kidding!

Take Care

Bob

WyrTwister
01-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I intend to buy a Puma lever gun in .38spl/.357mag. I don't intend to shoot Cowboy action. IS there any advantage/disadvantage between a 16" barel vs 20"? For packing the 16" might be handier. Thoughts?

Take Care

Bob

Would not be for me . Kind of depends on what you intend to use it for ?

Longer barrel can be a little more accurate ( longer sighting radius ) , a little quieter , a little higher velocity ( maybe , depending on the powder ) , a little heavier ( may be an advantage or not ) and a little less handy in brush .

Me , I am mostly a plinker , so no big deal either way .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister
01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I cast and load ( plinking ammo ) the Lee ~ 150 grain RNL from the 6 cavity mold .

When loading .38 Special brass I seat the bullet one groove longer / further out . This gives ~ the OAL of .357 Mag . Feeds fine .

I have 2 .357 Mag lever guns , a Winny & a Rossie . The Winny is not very tolerant of shorter ammo . The Rossie is more tolerant . The Rossi seems to be more tolerant of other than RN bullets .

By loading RNL to ~ the OAL of .357 Mag , the ammo seems to work OK in both guns .

God bless
Wyr

robertbank
01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Well it was cold wet and rainy again today but I went out anyways. I am going to leave teh sight adjustment until it warms up a bit. The gun is shooting about two and a half inches high at 25 yards as well. I may try gluing a FO rod onto the top of the front sight. It will bring the POI down and might make for easier sight acquisition for these old eyes. Anyone ever try that?

Take Care

Bob

mack1
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Awesome Bob.

Henry does make the bigboy in 357 but it is heavy and getting expensive. A used marlin that was plated might make a nice project.

robertbank
02-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Well I just ordered a Skinner rear sight for my Rossi. If it works out OK I may replace my front sight with one of Steves front FO sights in green. The days of open buckhorn type sights for me are really over.

Take Care

Bob

PatMarlin
02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I've had my eye on this one. 357mag.

http://www.patmarlins.com/1biglooptam.jpg

robertbank
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Good looking gun Pat. I sure enjoy my .357 Rossi. I just got to put a decent rear sight on the darn gun so I can hit what I think I am aiming at.;-)

Take Care

Bob

PatMarlin
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't think I can swing it. I'll have to give him $200, then send him $80 a week. To many other bills stacked... :roll: She wants her own Lever. We'll see.

robertbank
02-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Here are picture (poory taken) of my new Skinner sight installed on my Rossi .357.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/Firearms1/005.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/Firearms1/0032.jpg

I'll try to get out to the range on Monday and sight the gun in. To cold over the weekend to attempt.

Take Care

Bob

PatMarlin
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
nice Bob!

Fire_stick
02-18-2011, 11:59 PM
I am looking forward to hearing how the sight does for you. Congrats on the new addition. I love both of mine.

robertbank
03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Well I took my Rossi .357Mag out today and sighted in the Skinner sight. Tok a bit of time and the weather wasn't all that warm (+1C). I was intending to change out the front sight and I now think I will. The gun is shooting a tad high at 25 yards with the rear sight down as low as it will go. I'll probably go with a green FO front.

I tested some loads out as well with decent results using 15 gr IMR 4227 and 14 gr 2400 under the Lyman 358156 boolit GC. The rifle winds up those loads with the 14 gr of 2400 running Avg 1764 vs 1346 our of my Ruger 4.2".

I'll now wait for some warmer weather to do more testing and go out to 50 and 100 yards.

I am going to order the smalleet aperture for the Skinner to do my final adjustments on the sight.

Good to get out again but we are a couple of weeks away before Spring sets in.

My .44Mag mould should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll get some casting done ahead of some serious testing with that rifle.

Take Care

Bob

Jeff H
03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I like the looks of the Skinner sight.
How do you get along with the aperature being that far away from your eye?

How did those loads group for you at 25? Is it looking like the Rossi is going to please at 50?

robertbank
03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I like the looks of the Skinner sight.
How do you get along with the aperature being that far away from your eye?

How did those loads group for you at 25? Is it looking like the Rossi is going to please at 50?

Sights are clear and easy to pick up. I am still developing loads for the gun but at 25 yards I am within an inch. I want to get the smallest apeture for target shooting. The two I have are the standard and the one size larger. I also just have the factory front sight but as stated will change that out in time. Once I settle on a load/bullet combo the gun is going to be a shooter at 50 and 100 yards.

Incidently I found the Rossi dovetail sight comes off left to right and on right to left.

I really like the sight.

Take Care

Bob

Jeff H
03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Sights are clear and easy to pick up......Incidently I found the Rossi dovetail sight comes off left to right and on right to left.

I really like the sight.

Take Care

Bob

Thanks!
I appreciate both of those tidbits especially.