PDA

View Full Version : Getting into casting?

carsonbm
10-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Why are the lee melting pot so much cheaper than any others?

Dale53
10-24-2006, 12:49 AM
The Lee pots are a better value than the others, without a doubt. I especially like the Lee Pro 20 pounder.

However, to keep the record straight, I use a couple of RCBS pots. I bought my first RCBS pot years before the Lee 20 lbs pot came on the market. Later, I bought a used, nearly new, RCBS at a very attractive price from an estate sale.

However, I have several friends who use the Lee pots and they are VERY happy with them. Good gear.

Dale53

454PB
10-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm a Lee fan, I own three of their bottom draw pots. Let's be honest, they are designed as "throw away" tools. They are nowhere near the quality of the RCBS or Lyman pots.

The surprising part is that they work as designed, and mine have lasted 30 years. You can buy four Lee 20 pounders for what an RCBS costs.

Kamm Bunting
10-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I just bought one last week (Production Pot IV) and only used it once so far but it worked good considering it was my 1st time and I got some good bullets with already. I'm hooked.

Marc2
10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
The big difference must be in the temp control system. I dont have an RCBS but imagine the temp control system would be superior in that unit.
Maybe some of the guys who have both could shed some light on that for you.

Marc

Dale53
10-25-2006, 08:09 PM
I have not run a temp comparison test (Lee vs RCBS or Lyman). However, a couple of years ago I read a report by a gun writer who was certain the Lee was "not much". After the temp tests were done, the Lee maintained a far better temp constant (less movement between cycles. Sure changed that fellers opinion.

I, personally, did not run any tests, but that is what I read...

Dale53

robertbank
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I have the Lee Drippomatic 10# pot. Frankly, it is really to small for serious use. I am going to get a Lee 20# pot this winter and use the 10# as a pre-heater mounted over the 20# pot.

I am sure the RCBS/Lyman 20# pots are much better pots but they cost a ton more and I am not sure the value is there for the price difference.

Whatever you do go with a 20# pot, just my .02cents worth.

Take Care Eh

Bob

DLCTEX
10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
454 PB: Why do you call the Lee pot a "throw away"? Every part is available for replacement at very reasonable prices. Reair or rebuild is no problem...Dale

flinchnjerk
10-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Bob
Be aware that Lee took some liberties with the truth when terming this pot a 20 pounder. It'll hold about 17 pounds of wheelweight alloy with the meniscus above the pot's rim (or perhaps I didn't read the instructions carefully enough to learn how to activate the force field that keeps the last 3 pounds suspended in a neat column above the pot). I mention this so that (uh...ahem....) when you first use the pot you don't load five 4 pound ingots into the thing, then stand there beaming with delight as you wait for the pot to swallow all the ingots.
In addition, if you've enjoyed some adventures caused by the cheesy way that Lee attached the stopper rod to the 10 pound Dribblemaster, you're going to love the 20 pounder. Why, did you know that the difference in the specific gravities of lead and steel will cause the rod to shoot right out the top of the twenty pounder and land it on your bench? Not to worry, though; it won't roll far, since it'll quickly be engulfed by the torrent of molten lead pouring out the bottom of the pot. You'll also have an epiphany at that point, too....perhaps casting on your reloading bench...which sits atop a wooden cabinet in which you have about 20 k of primers and 25 pounds of powder.. was a plan that really could've used a little deeper thought.

454PB
10-26-2006, 12:37 AM
454 PB: Why do you call the Lee pot a "throw away"? Every part is available for replacement at very reasonable prices. Reair or rebuild is no problem...Dale

Actually, I used that as a figure of speech. Don't get me wrong, I think their pots are great, but they have their warts, just like any other gun/reloading product. Over the 30+ years I've been using mine, I've learned how to tweak them to cure the warts. I know Lee has a very good warranty and repair policy, I've never used it because none of my Lee casting equipment has required it.

What I was trying to relate is that you can buy a Lee pot so cheaply, if you get 5 years of the kind of use I put them through, it's paid for.

If anyone has a Lee pot they hate, send me a PM and perhaps I'll take it off of your hands[smilie=1:

robertbank
10-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Sorry for not responding earlier but I had to clean my keyboard. Lordy me I can hardly type. :mrgreen: I assume from your post you have had some excitement in your life involving the Lee 20# pot. Well I have to say you have now made me start re-thinking my plan. The keeper of my finances and she who knows all may have to get used to the idea that I might have to purchase the RCBS 20# pot. I assume from your post the 20# Lee drips as much as the 10#.

Take Care

Bob

carpetman
10-26-2006, 12:22 PM
For most equipment I prefer RCBS. I have not been fond of the Lee equipment I have. Big exception is my melting pot. I think the Lees pots are fine and well worth the money. Really havent had a drip problem with it either. I'd have a hard to impossible time of justifying the cost of an RCBS pot.

Jon K
10-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I have had 3 Lee pots- productionpot 10#, pro 4 20# , the Lee production pot was my first bottom pour. I started out with a plumbers pot on a camp stove.
I liked the production pot better than the 2- pro 4 20 pots. All three had chronic clog & drip problems, and I thought the metering flow control rod system on the pro 4 20 stinks.

I have 2 saeco pots 1- bottom pour and a 20# melting pot. I bought a RCBS Pro Melt 20# pot, and don't regret spending the money. There are a lot of good pots out there on the market, and the the Lee is a great pot, if you are just getting started, or don't cast a lot.

That's just my opinion. Too bad there isn't a place, or a way you could go and try out each brand before buying.

Have Fun shooting,
Jon

dragonrider
10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I have 3 Lee pots, 2 10# and I just got a 20#, The two tens have the drip of course, and one got real bad because the spout is apparently falling out of the bottom of the pot cause lead is dripping rapidly from around the spout where it comes through the bottom cover plate. That is what prompted me to buy the 20# unit. I guess I'll have to call Lee and get a new inner pot? or crucible or whatever they call the damn thing. I think the drip is caused by the valve rods not being heavy enough, and in the ten#ers being on an angle is another problem. Going to experiment with adding weight to them and see what happens.

HORNET
10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I bought a moderately abused Lee 10# pot that leaked a fair bit. Fixed it by pulling out the linkage and tapping the nozzle for a #4-40 cap screw[smilie=1: . Works just fine with a dipper and frees up my ancient Lyman model 61.:bigsmyl2:

flinchnjerk
10-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Bob
After deciding to get a bigger pot, I had two choices: go with Lee again, and put up with a bit of lead dripping, or drip an additional 300 loonies onto the countertop at the gunshop, and get the RCBS. The Marquess of Queensberry declared that one "No Contest".
The tricks that I developed for the 10 pounders to keep the dripping to a minimum (and believe me, I tried everything but spraying Dristan up the spout) work just as well with the 20 pounder. If you go with the Lee, be sure to come up with a surefire way to keep the stopper rod from jumping out from under the hold-down screw. Unless, of course, you want to spend about two weeks trying to pull your eyebrows back down out of your hairline.

Springfield
10-27-2006, 02:30 AM
I have 3 Lee's and 1 RCBS. I use the RCBS for casting and the LEE's for just melting. The LEE's worked fine until I bought the RCBS, then I realized how bad they really were. The RCBS doesn't drip, and it has a real thermostat on it that measures the temp in the pot, not the temp of the little tower behind teh pot with the switch in it. Also, the RCBS really holds 22 pounds, not 17 like the LEE. If you don't cast that much the LEE is fine, but I do thousands of bullets a month so I
needed something better.

rbstern
10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I have a Lee 10 pound bottom pour, bought used. It can be a little cranky at times with dripping or clogging, but generally, if I sit down to cast a few hundred bullets, I get through it without fuss; the Lee does what it is supposed to do. If I was casting thousands of bullets a month, I might spend more on higher end gear. For casual casting, I consider it to be a good piece of equipment.

largecaliberman
10-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Why are the lee melting pot so much cheaper than any others?

Marketing strategy has a lot to do with price. I purchased an ancient looking one about 5 years ago from an estate sale for $5. All it needed was a heating element and a new thermostat. The pot was a little rusted but in good shape and the needle valve needed a little lapping so I used some valve grinding compound. The lee melter works just as well as my RCBS that I keep in my old Army ammo box. One of these days I'll use the RCBS if and when the Lee becomed unrepairable.

robertbank
10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Well I don't know about the original poster but - She who knows best - now wants to buy me a Pro-Melter for Christmas. Anyone know of the best place to buy one Stateside.

Midway has them for $280 US but doesn't ship to Canada. flinchnjerk where did you get one up here for $325Cdn. Wholesale Sports wants over $400Cen and the dollar is sitting at 89 cents US right now.

If I have to I'll get a buddy of mine in Texas to order me one from Midway. Even with double postage is would be cheaper than buying one from Wholesale Sports.

Take Care

Bob

Jon K
10-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi Bob,

I was on the phone with Graf & Sons, while reading your post, so I asked Heather who does all the export orders. The RCBS Pro Melt shipped to your door-this is an estimate to Terrace BC (over estimate- worst case scenario) $268.39 usd (pot)+ $37 usd (shipping) total $305.39 usd

Hope this helps,
Jon

Jon K
10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Bob,
http://www.grafs.com/page/contact

robertbank
10-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Thank you very much I am going to place an order. That price is the best I have seen. If I can be of any help to you in the future all you have to do is ask.

Take Care Eh

Bob

robertbank
10-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Jon, spoke to Heather and placed an order. Won't be the last time I order from them. Thanks again for the contact. Their prices are better than Midway and the latter doesn't ship up here.

Take Care Eh

Bob

Jon K
10-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Bob,

I usually price Midwway, Midsouth & Graf. Graf'shipping to USA $3.95 is a big factor when you look at the total.

Glad I could help,
Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

:castmine:

flinchnjerk
10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Bob
Sorry; I tried to post a reply last night, but it didn't take.
I was going to say that your Midway plan was the route to go, but Jon K's gentlemanly gesture gave you an even better way. Just to try to prevent your pinning the needle on your blood pressure cuff's guage: you do know that the kind folks at Canada Customs will, on occasion, charge you $30.00 for their extending you the privilege of their opening your package for inspection?
A few days back, I was looking at the Wholesale Sports' site, as well as the sites of a few other suppliers up here, noting the vast gulf between what's charged for reloading components, equipment, etc. here and south of the line. It caused me to reflect upon what a perverse bunch we in Kanuckistan are - always having to add our own bizzare twist to the way things are done everywhere else in the world. Up here, the shop proprietor robs the guy with the gun.

robertbank
10-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Yes I am in Jon K's debt. He saved me over $100Cdn . Well either the Canadian retailers will start reducing their margins (They are the problem with firearms as well up here not the Manufacturers), or we will continue to buy either off the Internet or by phone. As you know I live on the other side of no where so local merchants do have freight to deal with (Powder goes for >$30 per #), but they do push the limits on this excuse. Just one reason why my son's pick up my summer supply of reloading componenets in Alberta or I go south and cross the line to buy Stateside. Local shop knows I am a Canadian but still sells me powder and primers. I switch to HUH from Eh just in case the ATF are floating around. I have no idea why Bush decided primers and smokeless powder were evil items Canadians should not be able to buy but he did. All it does it hurts American gun shops along the border.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Well here is the good news ...my Pro-Melter arrived today! The bad news is "She who knows best" doesn't want me to open the box until Christmas. I just got to re-read my Marriage License - would this come under mental cruelty?

Take Care

Bob

MT Gianni
11-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Definetly mental cruelty. If you know what it is it isn't for waiting. Wrap the empty box and put it inder the tree. Gianni.

robertbank
11-11-2006, 11:30 AM
She who knows best relented. Range report will follow.

The fact I am doing the cooking tonight and all of next week is not connected to the fact I got to open the box early and I'll step outside with any man who suggests it is.:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

Bullshop
11-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Bob
Good going brother! Diplomacy was in order, and a peaceful acceptable arrangment is an honourable means to pasification of opposing sides.
Congradulations! Your personal sacrifices will serve to advance the brotherhood of casters. Well done!
BIC/BS

robertbank
11-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Did you ever drive a 1949 Dodge truck followed by a quiet ride in a Lexus. Well I haven't recently, but the sensation has to be similar when you go from a Lee 10# Production pot to the RCBS Pro-Melter. Both will do the job but what a trip. More later.

Take Care

Bob