PDA

View Full Version : powder and boolit for k31

seb1008
10-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Hello, first post on this great forum. I am a new k31 owner and want to start reloading cast boolits(bought). I am hopeing for some advise on favorite powders and boolit loads. I would like to try and start with one powder that will give good accuracy with full loads and reduced loads, and hopefully something that is realitively simple for a novice to use. I will probably be using a Lee hand press and redding dies. I have very limited living space right now. Thank you, Seb

mag_01
10-23-2006, 11:44 PM
:coffee: ----Seb1008--I use a 200gr. boolit and 29grs. of 3031---and have tried 30grs. and 31grs. with no pressure signs ---when weather and time permit I will go higher----Boolit is .309 gas checked---Lee mold---good luck and enjoy K-31:castmine:

seb1008
10-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Sorry for not seeming to do a search when I asked the Questions, but I have been doing searches on the 7.5x55, k31.and different powders that are talked about for hours the last few nights. It seems like the WC 820 might bee a good powder. I am leary of useing powders where fillers are recomended because of the small load and with me just learning. Maybe a powder that would be hard to double load would be best. Also I will probably be buying my casts from Oregon Trails unless some one here can recomend a better place. Seb

rbstern
10-24-2006, 12:03 AM
For cast in K31, I use a Lee 309180 round nose (wheel weight alloy, water quenched, gas check and Lee Liquid Alox lubed), over 36 to 41 grains of surplus IMR7383. Muzzle velocity will be from about 1800 to 2100fps in that range of loads. I have found it to be very accurate, and the barrel fouling is minimal, just some unburned powder, easily cleaned up with patches and a brush.

Bullshop
10-24-2006, 12:04 AM
seb1008
Try Bull Shop boolits. Just scroll down for the link.
BIC/BS

KCSO
10-24-2006, 08:58 AM
I am partial to WW 748 behind a 190 gr bullet. This combo will shoot much better than I can and with my K 31 I posted my first sub MOA group from cast bullets. I was using the St. Pierre scope mount and a 2-7 Redfield.

versifier
10-24-2006, 10:44 AM
KCSO,
Can you please give some details on that scope mount? Like where you found it and what it looks like. The only thing better than an accurate rifle is an accurate rifle that you can shoot at longer distances. And the only way you can do that once you have attained Old Fartitude is with a scope. :mrgreen: This is the first mention I have heard of an available mount for the K31.

seb1008
10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I bought a St Pierre mount and warne 7.3 rings (recomended)from brownells http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1666. It clamped on with just one allen screw, reportedly stays rock solid, can be removed in just a minute, is off set to the right so use of iron sights is still possible I have read, and no drilling and tapping. It seems that the aluminum model is prefered . Another type is made by a fellow and has positive comments also it supposedly has a little more room for moving the scope for eye relief.http://www.accumounts.com.I went with the St.Pierre mount only because it took the man from accumount 2 days to answer my email and I was too impatient to wait. Hopefully KCSO will tell you how it is too shoot with the mount, because I have no experince yet , just been reading all the info I can find on the k31. Also thanks to everyone one who has responded to my question, Will these powders be usable in say a 113 gr.boolit but with lighter powder loads?

garandsrus
10-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Versifier,

Check out this forum for K31 Scope Mounts (http://www.milsurpshooter.net/). The thread is a "sticky" titled "K31 Scout Mount Pictures and Order Info" I have read very good things about this mound but have not tried it myself.

Here's an image of the mount from his page:

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL21/71676/2128482/43497289.jpg

John

Shepherd2
10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I have the Pierre St. Marie clamp on mount and I like it very much. I've moved it between 3 K31s and it holds zero pretty close. Not perfect, but close. I prefer it over the scout mount since you don't have to remove part of the rear sight to use it.

mike in co
10-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Versifier,

Check out this forum for K31 Scope Mounts (http://www.milsurpshooter.net/). The thread is a "sticky" titled "K31 Scout Mount Pictures and Order Info" I have read very good things about this mound but have not tried it myself.

Here's an image of the mount from his page:

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL21/71676/2128482/43497289.jpg

John

i use this mount.
and a similar one on a mn m39
i shot a 199-11x a year ago in a 200 yd match...first place
i would like to try the st marie mount, but the scout with a 4x mounted far back works very well.

drinks
10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
I have the mount, use it with a 2.5x LER pistol scope. $50 for the mount, takes 10 minutes to install if you have the correct size straight drift.
The Swiss Rifle forum has a sticky on the supplier, or did the last time I was by there.
I have the name and address in the shop and can post it tomorrow.
I would not use a ball powder in reduced loads, I an using IMR 4227 , Varget and Rel7, Rel7 seems to be the most flexable, from 1500 fps to 2500fps with a 160gr 2R, GC bullet, BHN 28.

Buckshot
10-25-2006, 02:52 AM
..............seb1008, welcome to the board! You should also cruise the Military Rifle and Military Rifle Cast forums on the board (if you haven't already).

" I would like to try and start with one powder that will give good accuracy with full loads and reduced loads,................."

That can be kind of tough to do and get the best of both. Like a Jack Of All Trades, something is going to suffer somewhere. Most heavy 'Full' loads use a slower case filling powder and usually "Lighter" (or slower speed) loads will use a quicker more energetic powder. The later is much easier to light with smaller charges in largely empty cases.

Using a reduced charge of a comparatively slow powder can, and has worked but due to the deterant coating or chemical additive to slow it's burning speed, it can be difficult to ignite consistantly. Inconsistant ignition and various rates of involvement don't lead to real accuracy. A filler can aid that but I see you'd rather not.

If you just HAVE to have one powder, I'd use what mag01 is using. IMR 3031 would be my choice for a compromise powder. You won't be able to use a full case of it as it's just a bit on the fast side, but you can reduce it down some like he's doing.

If you can see your way clear to getting 2 powders then I'd opt for Unique and 4895.

.................Buckshot