PDA

View Full Version : Trajectory Question

tek4260
12-26-2010, 04:07 PM
My neighbor got an AR-10 for Christmas and I was helping sight it in at 100. I brought along my shortened BFR and shot it at 100 just to see where it was at that range. Two shots, touching, dead center for windage... :p .....but about 6 inches above the bull. I have it sighted about 2 inches high at 25 yards. Is the reason it is high at 100 due to the fact that I had Clements install the tallest front sight that Weigand Combat makes and I have the rear jacked up? Kind of like someone shooting a rifle with see thru rings and screwing with the trajectory because the scope is so high above the bore?

Would the same thing happen with a scope on a handgun?

One day I plan on shortening the front sight when I decide which load I want to use. I just wanted it tall after fighting with factory Ruger sights.

And the neighbor is already looking at BFR's and wanting to start handgun hunting.

Also posted this on another forum, but I thought I'd ask here too.

kelbro
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
You see all kinds of strange stuff when it comes to trajectory.

You often read of people sighting in their rifles at 25 or 50yds and then just assuming that they are x" high or low at 100yds or 200yds because that's what some trajectory table said based on the velocity that they think they are shooting at. Results in a lot of wounded/missed game.

On hunting rifles/pistols, I always check where my loads strike at every distance that I might shoot at.

44man
12-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I sight revolvers 1" high at 50 yards or better yet, dead center at 75.
The height above the bore should not be a problem with the short ranges shot with a revolver. My red dot scopes act the same as open sights.
I really hate high mounted scopes on rifles.

tek4260
12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
I guess I was figuring drop too much. If I sighted my rifle in 2" high at 25, it would be off the paper at 100. I guess revolvers aren't that much different.

Tatume
12-29-2010, 02:04 PM
One day I plan on shortening the front sight when I decide which load I want to use. I just wanted it tall after fighting with factory Ruger sights.

If you reduce the height of the front sight you will raise the point of impact. A taller front sight lowers the point of impact.

If you sight in at 25 yards I expect you will find your gun is close at 100 yards also.