PDA

View Full Version : Fighting boredom

Jim
12-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I bumped a .454 230 gr. round nose pistol boolit to .470 then sized it back to .460. Small game boolit for a .45-70?
God A'Mighty, I'm 'bout bored outa' my gourd.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/pics-029-e1293391530340.jpg

Tatume
12-26-2010, 04:57 PM
A friend of mine does this all the time with 230 gr FMJ bullets, using a CH Tool die.

Jack Stanley
12-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Well Jim , then take your gourd to the rifle range huh?? :p C'mon buddy ... shooting between the snowflakes is fun .

Jack

Jim
12-26-2010, 05:35 PM
You go on up there an' start settin' up the targets, Jack. I'll be there in a few minutes.

armoredman
12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
"Snow"? What is this "snow" you speak of?

runfiverun
12-27-2010, 01:20 AM
i usually shoot till it gets to -20.
if the sun comes out i'll go colder.
range time is shortened, but it's range time.
heck, iv'e even shot from the truck with the revolver.
we have a portable firepit at the range i can fire up if i want to which helps.

Jim
12-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Yeah, well, 20 * with a wind chill factor of 0 is not user friendly toward rheumatoid arthritis.

Jim
12-27-2010, 08:59 AM
We moved from a house within sight of the city limits that has a 1000 sq. ft. basement to a house in the country that does not. Now, I', cooped up in the gun room because the cold and the wind plays havoc with my arthritis. I just can't do that anymore so, I have to find things to do to keep me occupied.

Bret4207
12-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Try 0 with a 30 mph wind blowing! You'll never get bored because you'll spend you time chasing frozen pipes, firewood, dead batteries, half froze livestock, stuck vehicles, etc.

Shooting? Who has time for shooting?!

Wayne Smith
12-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Jim, you can always take a road trip and come help me shovel snow!! Course, I wouldn't be out on the roads now.

bbs70
12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
17 degrees today, too cold to drive 10 miles away and freeze at the range.
Getting cold takes the fun out of shooting.
Must be getting old, didn't use to bother me when I was younger.

Cast boolits, size and lube boolits, clean and prime casings, load casings, just so much you can do before boredom sets in.
Guns cleaned, boolits loaded and ready.

I can hear the range calling me.
Its saying
"Come on over Bill I miss you, its cold and there is no one here to keep me company.
You will have the range to yourself, in a few days it is suppose to warm up to 50 degrees and there will be others visiting me and it will be crowded.
They will bring their new guns they got for Christmas and you might not be able to have the room to shoot."

See, I told you I was bored.[smilie=l:

Jack Stanley
12-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, well, 20 * with a wind chill factor of 0 is not user friendly toward rheumatoid arthritis.

Jim , that's precisely why I had a little house built on the lower part of the range out back . It's about eight by twelve , has the door that can be left open and shoot from when the weather is moderate . Next to that a smaller door about twelve inches wide by thirty inches high starting at waist level . That one is for off hand practice in bitter cold weather . To the left of that is a small roll up door starting at waist level and it's about four feet wide . That has room enough to have two shooters side by side . On the far left is a small bench and a twelve by fourteen inch shooting port , set up for left hand shooting . On the back wall is a cast iron boxwood stove that keeps the place pretty toasty . There are times when I have to be careful with the mirage because of the heat waves coming out the ports .

Snow ? , cold ? Ha ha ha even setting targets up ain't bad any more .

Jack

crabo
12-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Jack, if I had that setup you do, I'd have a set of hunters pistol steel targets set up as a start, with more out farther.

RayinNH
12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Jack, that sounds mighty inviting. Do you think we would all fit? :p...Ray

mpmarty
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Nice thing about 0* casting you don't need to water drop.

beagle
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Worse places to be cooped up, IMO. I'm making pop can GCs for the 35PB bullets and sizing and tumbling all of the 9mm I have stashed around. One more loading session and I'll jump on casting and replenishing my supply of .38 HPs. Who's bored? It's fun to me./beagle

Bret4207
12-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Just got in from getting my daughters pipes thawed. Of course her septic line froze...

runfiverun
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
jim thats minus 20.
i work outside all year round, so the cold [still sucks]
i hate it too, but it's either go or stay in the house.
you could always run errands and go shopping with the wife.

Jack Stanley
12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Jack, that sounds mighty inviting. Do you think we would all fit? :p...Ray

Probably four of us could fire pistols side by side with maybe room for two waiting in the back . I would be cozy like that though . It's a nice setup to have if you are trying to lure cold concious people out to practice .

Before it got real cold a friend brought over two of his daughters and their cousin girlfriend and his oldest son . I kept the fire stoked and the shooters were outside while the others warmed up . Not one of the three girls complained and they all had a great time .

Warms my heart to see the children have fun with a rifle .

Jack

geargnasher
12-27-2010, 03:47 PM
If I lived where it was that miserable outside in the winter, I'd be forced to build an indoor shooting range, like a long hallway leading outside from a window with a big sandpile contained in railroad ties at the end for a backstop. 45 feet should be plenty, make a small window to shoot through and have a fan blowing through the first part of the hall to suck out the fumes.

Gear

Rick N Bama
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I went to the range once when it was some 20*, won't ever make that mistake again! I'm almost thankful that my range closes for most of the winter during the Duck hunting season.

Rick