PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Rear sight Q's

wonderwolf
12-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Home for the holiday and I decided to dig out my sharps and consider the rear sight options for it, I currently have a 2" and 4" Vernier type target sights but the 4" "long range" has some side to side movement.

My front sight is a blade about 1/4 tall and I have a 34" barrel. I'm wondering if the 2" will get me out to 800 yards as that I think is the longest shot in the quigley match which I've been trying like mad to get out to. I'm shooting a 525gr postell right now, hoping to move to a heavier paper patched mold soon, my 500gr PP isn't working out so well as its meant for smokeless.

Tom-ADC
12-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Not sure if this will help but maybe: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight_Height_Calculator

Don McDowell
12-25-2010, 08:43 PM
It will depend alot on how far up that 2 inch staff the slide will go. You'll likely need a setting of somewhere around 180 to get the Quigley buffalo.

wonderwolf
12-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Comparing the two sights side by side show that they do not start at the same height, the zero on the 2" is about 1/2" lower or so than on the 4" since the 4" is more of a creedmoor I guess?

I'll play around with the 2" and get some velocity readings and see what I come up with I guess.

If I'm counting right I have 130 points of usable elevation on the 2" sight. Perhaps I'll look into a 3 after I do some range testing and see where I'm at.

montana_charlie
12-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I suppose you have a ladder sight on the barrel, as most Sharps guns do.
Mount your short tang sight, and run it to the top.
Then raise the ladder sight and run the slider all the way up.

The ladder should get you in the 700-800 yard range, so compare it's relationship (to the front sight) with that of the tang sight.

CM

NickSS
12-27-2010, 01:31 AM
I have shot quite offen at 800 yards with a mid range tang sight without a problem on a Sharps with a 30 inch barrel. My rifle was using a C Sharps delux mid range sight and had plenty of elevation. I had to get a long range sight when going out to 1000 yards and further.

Lead pot
12-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Wonderwolf.

It wont do you much good to give you a sight setting for the Quigley Buff that was marked at 805 yards last year and 787 the year before.
Also the drop the tang has will make a big difference where the sight is set.
My .45-70 has the 2.5" MVA #102 Buffalo Soule sight on it and the setting was 153 pt on a 30" barrel. And I dont know if your shooting a .45-70, but I used a Lyman postell @ 1165 avg.
If I give you the measurement from the center of the bore it will give you a closer setting that will work with the stock drop/ tang you have on your rifle.

Mine is 2.270" from center of bore to center of the aperture.

Kurt