PDA

View Full Version : Model 92 Rossi in 45 colt.

45-70 Chevroner
12-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I went to the long range shoot the second week of Nov. I was having a problem with the 92 not feeding very well. The boolits were hanging up on something at the edge of the magazine tube. I was finaly able to finish up the round with the help of my pocket knife. One of the guys said it was probably dirty down inside the action. One of the other guys said to use some carberator cleaner and flush it out real good. I finally got around to it today. I sprayed the heck out of it blew it out with an air hose and now it works slick as can be. Kudos for carb. cleaner.

BackWoods Billy
12-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Works great!!!! Just make sure you don't get it on the wood finish and if there is any plastic parts in any of your guns don't use!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you put something on after to put the oil back in the metal..Good cheap way, to clean my AK. LOL Poet and don't know it..;)

markinalpine
12-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not familiar with the Rossi, but on my Winchester and Marlin, I removed the magazine plug, spring, and follower, swabbed the inside out using bore cleaning solvent, dried them with compressed air, then coated the inside with Johnsons Paste Wax. I let the wax dry for a few hours, then polish the inside with bore patches enough to remove any loose wax. I do this about once a year for fun :[smilie=w:

Mark :coffeecom

cajun shooter
12-26-2010, 01:28 PM
When doing regular cleaning of your 92 you did not say which powder you used. If it is BP then it's good practice to spray the inside of your action with Moosemilk(Ballistol & water at 7-1 ) and then use a soaked patch with a dental pick to clean all the dirt you can including the magazine plug and bolt face. If using that other powder then use the cleaners that you like but do the same thing just like the moosemilk.

45-70 Chevroner
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I use BP for my muzzloaders only. I know a lot of shooters like BP in cartridges but I don't. I do use a lot of dirty Unique and Bullseye but it only takes a tumbler to clean the shells. What I really need to do is learn how to take the 92 apart and how to put it back together, then do that enough times until I can do it almost blind folded. I have received instructions on how to do it but I haven't worked up enough courage to do it yet. It does look complicated though.

missionary5155
12-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Good morning
Taking a Rossi apart is not that hard. I have 2 and over the years I have always gotton them back together. There are some good pictured rifle books out there with detailed instructions that have helped me over the years.

Calamity Jake
12-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I went to the long range shoot the second week of Nov. I was having a problem with the 92 not feeding very well. The boolits were hanging up on something at the edge of the magazine tube. I was finaly able to finish up the round with the help of my pocket knife. One of the guys said it was probably dirty down inside the action. One of the other guys said to use some carberator cleaner and flush it out real good. I finally got around to it today. I sprayed the heck out of it blew it out with an air hose and now it works slick as can be. Kudos for carb. cleaner.

Cartridge OAL is the key factor for function in the Rossi 92
Seat the boolit .010 deeper and you should have no more problems

knifemaker
12-29-2010, 12:31 AM
If you want to use another cleaner that is cheap and not as corrosive as brake cleaner, use mineral spirits. Most hardware stores carry it as "paint thinner" in gallon cans. Just be sure to read the label and get 100% mineral spirits. About 4-6 bucks per gallon.
I use it in a hand pump spray bottle, also from the hardware store, and spray it on the dirty parts and watch it flush the black crud right off. Then a good brushing with a tooth brush and spray a final time and use a air compressor to blow the excess off. One good side effect, it will leave a very fine oil deposit on the parts that brake cleaner will not do.
I learned about using mineral spirits when I attended the Beretta Armours school and they reccommended it over Hoppe's #9 for use in their semi auto pistols that law enforcement Depts. were using.
The reason for this was if using Hoppe's #9 to clean pistols that were using ammo that had Winchester ball powder. A chemical reaction would take place between the ball powder fouling and Hoppes and cause the fouling residue to build up and cake hard in the firing pin chamber. This would lead to a buildup that caused misfires in later use due to the firing pin being stopped short in the chamber and causing a light firing pin hit on the primer.

timkelley
12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Steve Young
4525 Alamosa St.
Port Arthur, TX 77642
(409) 984-5473
steve@stevesgunz.com

Check with the guy at the above address. He is an expert on the Win 92 and clones and sells a "how to" DVD that is just dynamite.

WyrTwister
12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
If you want to use another cleaner that is cheap and not as corrosive as brake cleaner, use mineral spirits. Most hardware stores carry it as "paint thinner" in gallon cans. Just be sure to read the label and get 100% mineral spirits. About 4-6 bucks per gallon.
I use it in a hand pump spray bottle, also from the hardware store, and spray it on the dirty parts and watch it flush the black crud right off. Then a good brushing with a tooth brush and spray a final time and use a air compressor to blow the excess off. One good side effect, it will leave a very fine oil deposit on the parts that brake cleaner will not do.
I learned about using mineral spirits when I attended the Beretta Armours school and they reccommended it over Hoppe's #9 for use in their semi auto pistols that law enforcement Depts. were using.
The reason for this was if using Hoppe's #9 to clean pistols that were using ammo that had Winchester ball powder. A chemical reaction would take place between the ball powder fouling and Hoppes and cause the fouling residue to build up and cake hard in the firing pin chamber. This would lead to a buildup that caused misfires in later use due to the firing pin being stopped short in the chamber and causing a light firing pin hit on the primer.

I have been using a mix of tranny fluid ( ATF ) and motor oil to lube my lever guns . If I take them apart , in stead of flushing the gunk out of the action , I also put grease on the high friction / high pressure points .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister
12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Lots of good info .

Something my cousin taught me , before you temove the hammer spring / strut assembly , cock the hammer , look for a tiny hole in the strut . I cut off part of a straight pin and put it in the hole . Slowly Release the hammer and let it go to rest . The pin should keep the spring compressed . Makes it easier to re-assemble .

I do not recommend the cartridge guides be removed . Probably not the loading gate , either .

If the rifle has been shot a fair amount , remove the " end cap " from the mag tube . The spring and follower should come out too . The follower on mine appears to be plastic . I do not know if the plastic would survive the carb cleaner flush ?

Lube everything well , I use grease on high friction / high pressure points and oil on the rest .

When you finish , a coat of Johnson Paste Wax on the wood probably would not hurt anything .

God bless
Wyr

45-70 Chevroner
12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Calamity Jake: The problem I was having was that the shell was not even comming out of the tube at all. Cleaning it out with the carberator cleaner solved the problem. I just have to remember to oil it before I go to another shoot.

knifemaker: I will try the mineral spirits trick with a spray bottle, and yes it is a lot cheaper. I use it a lot for cleaning my guns, I just had not thought of the spray bottle thing. thanks.

Phillip
12-30-2010, 02:42 AM
45-70 Chevroner,

You have to be careful of the carb/break clean. The tube follower is two pieces of plastic that is glued together and those types of cleaners will eat it apart.

I would go here and buy his kit......

http://store.stevesgunz.com/

BTW.....that plastic follower is 90% issue with feeding problems the Rossi 92's.