PDA

View Full Version : Guess What....

dk17hmr
10-23-2006, 12:23 PM
The freezer isnt going to have as much space in my dorm room anymore. Story later.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/8pointer.jpg
Roughly 140 pounds dress, 10" inside 8 pointer

He met his demise with the blade not lead.

Old Ironsights
10-23-2006, 01:52 PM
And Doug leaps out of a tree, landing on the back of his quarry and slitting its throat in one fluid motion... :twisted:

What? Is there some other way to get a deer with a blade? :shock:

Good'un! :drinks:

dk17hmr
10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Actually I got him with a 3 BLADED Muzzy. But on a side note I have jumped on a deers back and slit his throat like you were talkin, not out of a tree stand but thats another story.

Here is long version of my hunt from this morning.

I got out to my stand at about 7:40 about 8:00 5 does came into the general area or my bait pile. They were there about 10 minutes acting nervous. About 8:10 I looked over to my right, I have a mock scrape there that I just freshend up this morning, with some Pete Rickards Indian Buck lure. Coming out of no where I see this guy walking right towards it. I saw mass so I didnt bother counting because I would have probably missed, I drew as he walked behind a maple tree, when he came out the other side right on the scrape his lungs/heart were covered by the maple, I couldnt get the shot I wanted. I sat there at full draw with this buck at 10 yards with his shoulders and neck showing for about 30 seconds. I said to myself "self it has worked on a few other deer shoot him at the base of the neck." So I released and watched the arrow smash through his neck and stick into the ground.

I climbed down after the deer went out of side and checked for blood and to inspect the area. Within 3 feet of the shot there was alot of blood. So I walked back to the house to give him some time and to call a few people to see if I could get some help. Called dad he said he was busy but he would try to get home, none of my friends were around so I set off to get him myself. He made it about 250 yardds and bedded down, about 1/2 hour after I shot him I jumped him and heard a SPLASH, **** the river is right there I hope he made it across I dont want to have to fish him out. I kept trackin and found the spot he went into the river and marked a tree with my knife so I knew where he went once I got on the other side. I found a safe spot to cross and started walkin back to the spot I though he came up the bank, just then dad called me on my cell and asked how I was doing. I was talkin to him when I found blood again. I stuck my arrow in the ground and headed back to the house. I gave him another half hour and figured by now he was done. I got back to my arrow and started down the blood about 30 yards and there he was. Called dad again with my cell and told him I am gunna need help loading him into the truck so I could get home. I started draggin him to the road, I got close enough to the road and covered him up with some pine limbs. Walked the road home and met dad on the way. Jumped in my Ranger drove almost right up to him and got him in the back and headed home. I gutted him in the back field on our property I figured the neighbor doesnt need to know I was back there. She doesnt like people hunting and she is at work right now so she doesnt need to know.

Old Ironsights
10-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Ya know, in Jewish Lore it is said that the only hunter who could kill "Kosher" was Esau, who was said to slit the animal's throat with an arrow.

Mayhap we should petition to have your Handle changed? :mrgreen:

waksupi
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Well now, that will be some good eating! Congratulations, Doug.

RugerFan
10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Good job. I bowhunted with a recurve this year and saw several deer and hogs, but none would come close enough. Now its time to fling hot lead.

floodgate
10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Rew: dk17hmr:

THAT, Gentlemen, is HUNTING!!

floodgate

fatnhappy
10-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Good job Doug. That's a good looking young buck.

Using a bit of discretion gutting it is IMHO an important neighborly consideration these days. Some people would rather not know where hamburger comes from.

dk17hmr
10-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Actually, my buddy and I figure he is 3 1/2 which for around our area is a trophy. We get people from down state that hunt across the river from our property shoot everything they see spikes, button bucks, doe fawns, does, just everything. Average buck around our property is 1 1/2 year olds 6 points or less. So 8's and put are big bucks.

Last year I killed a 10 pointer with my bow that was 2 1/2 he was an above average buck for my area. Killed this one with a neck shot also, didnt have to track him though destroyed his spine and he went straight down. The 8 point from this year cut his jugular all to hell, blood everywhere by the way.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DougsBigBuck.jpg

I personally dont shoot unless it is a mature deer 2 1/2 or older, does are a different story I pick the biggest in the group with no fawns and take it. Ok so there are some exceptions on bucks, if it is a crip or it has a screwy rack. We have a string around our property that grows a normal rack on one side and only a spike on the other.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I am happy with this guy. Takes alot of pressure off of my family to fill our freezer, now we can be more selective when we hunt in the UP. I will probably take a doe before all the seasons are done.