PDA

View Full Version : Wish list

Beekeeper
12-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I am making a wish list for year after next.
Family medical problems will not let me buy anything this comming year.

I use lee dippers and check with a redding beam scale.
Have thought about a powder dispencer but know zero about them so how about youse guys edumicate me about them.
Best?
Worst?
good?
bad?
stay with what I have?

I got a whole year to make my wish list so I am open to suggestions. ( legitamate ones that is)

Jim

Mk42gunner
12-24-2010, 11:40 PM
I have an RCBS Uniflow, with the large drum only. It works for .38 Special and .45 ACP size charges of 231, so I haven't felt the need to get the small drum.

If I am loading less than about fifty cases, I don't set the measure up; it seems like timewise it is a wash. More than fifty, I will take the time to adjust the measure.

Of course, I have also made dippers for charges that I want, that aren't in the Lee set. The last one was for 16 grains of 2400.

Robert

Harter66
12-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Depends on what you load. Stick powders don't measure well as a rule.

I have 2 RCBS measures . Get the baffles. I like them.

Mine drop ball powders +- .05gn over 90% of every load I've dropped. Flake powders drop +.1 to-.3 on big loads over say 10gns and up,around half of that for charges under 5gns. With stick powders I gave up I get with in 1grn and trickle the rest. Even checking every 10th I can load around 100-150 preped and primed pistol rounds/hr.and 40-50 rifles/hr.

Matt3357
12-25-2010, 01:00 AM
My absolute favorite is a redding measure with the micrometer adjustment. Everytime I find a measurement, I write it down and now have a little book that gives me a very close place to start everytime. The uniflow is built basically the same way and can be had with the micrometer adjustment as well. Simple and convenient and super accurate, at least with the ball powders I load. I try to avoid flake and stick as much as possible for the reasons mentioned above.

Matt

45nut
12-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Are you seeking for a rifle or pistol measure or both?
I use Dillon's measure most of the time but I keep a old , venerable lyman 55 here for short runs and testing for both.
I have a old pacific pistol measure that takes bushings I dont use much due to the lack of available bushings.

Beekeeper
12-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Was thinking a Lyman 55 and thought I would put it on my list for maybe a gunshow later on in 2011 but know zip about them so someone could sell me a sock and I wouldn't know the diference.

Read what I could on the Lyman site (which isn't much) and am about as confused as before.
Well it gives me something to research before I go looking.

Jim

Shiloh
12-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I have LEE dippers as well as a variety of homemade dippers. They are very accurate if you do your part. Like casting, dipping powder requires consistency. That is, doing it the same every time.

Stick powders, like a regular powder measure, don't do reel well with dippers.

Shiloh

imashooter2
12-25-2010, 08:55 PM
The Lee Perfect measure, while far from perfect, is a quantum leap over dippers.

Solid middle of the road measures would be the RCBS and Lyman. The RCBS Uniflow measures use a drilled hole metering chamber with an adjustable screw to control cavity size. The Lyman 55 uses cross slides to do the same. In my experience, stick powder flows easier through the RCBS due to less surface area for shearing grains. The RCBS uses 2 rotors with different size cavities to cover the range of possible powder charges. It only comes with one rotor so if you need the other, it is added cost. Small rotor is .5 grains up to ~50 grains, large rotor is 5 grains up to ~110 grains. The Lyman 55 is good for charges 0 grains up to ~200 grains all in the original unit with no add on parts. Hornady makes a measure similar to the RCBS,

High end units like Harrell's might be better, but I've never used one. Someone else will have to speak to them...

*Paladin*
12-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Since this is a "wish list", I recommend the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It's a fast, accurate dispenser and is available with or without the 1500gr digital scale. I have the combo and I LOVE it. It has really sped up the process of charging rifle cases for me. The only powders that are an issue are long stick powders, but they are a problem for all dispensers. Most other powders flow like water and drop within 1/10th of a grain.

Green Frog
12-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I am making a wish list for year after next.
Family medical problems will not let me buy anything this comming year.

I use lee dippers and check with a redding beam scale.
Have thought about a powder dispencer but know zero about them so how about youse guys edumicate me about them.
Best?
Worst?
good?
bad?
stay with what I have?

I got a whole year to make my wish list so I am open to suggestions. ( legitamate ones that is)

Jim

Beekeeper,

This question is like saying "I'm going to travel next year, what kind of vehicle do I need?" You need to specify how far, fast and to what kind of terrain or water? Firearm choice, volume of loading, and powder type must all be considered to answer your question.

There are several great measures out there for just about any kind of loading you want to do. I own more than I should, but find myself going back to three, an antique micrometer type Ideal #5, whose far superior successor is the Harrell that I can't bring myself to pay the big bucks for, a Belding & Mull with a custom made micrometer drop tube, and a Little Dandy (RCBS) or the discontinued Lyman equivalent Accumeasure, each with a full set of the (fixed) rotors. I load for a variety of things from pistol plinking to lead bench rest, each of which has its strengths and weaknesses, and I can't get beneath that 3 measure floor. If I had to settle on just one measure, however, it would probably not be any of those, but a RCBS Uniflow or Redding Micrometer with all the optional stuff, or a small Harrell, but with the latter I would be limited as to the upper weights I could throw, probably not a problem since I don't shoot that much big stuff, but a limit nonetheless. Did I thoroughly confuse you? Good thing you have all year to think about it! 8-)

Froggie

DCM
01-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Beekeper I have a Lee perfect powder measure, as they are the most consistant I have used for stick powder and can be had for about $20, one third to one tenth the price of others and it really WORKS very well with stick powders. The Hornady is the most consistant I have used for ball powder.

Olevern
01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I have several diff. types, but like the brand of your scale. A bit pricy, but u get what u pay for.

Not at home right now, away visitin family, but I might have a spare measure - wanna trade for sum beeswax?

1hole
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
No measure can drop tubular powders with high consistancy, it's not physically possible to do that by volume. Any measure can drop consistant charges of ball powders, it meters like water. No measure can consistanly drop specific charges of small flake powders, they get into the crevices of the rotor and cause binding.

The Lee Perfect tends to leak small amounts of ball powders unless the user carefully cleans and then adjusts the rotor drum but it seems to handle tubular powders better than any others.

Lyman's 55 has three adjustable slides to control the chamber size so it's the most versitale available for handling a wide range of charge weights pretty well.

The cast iron powder measures from RCBS, Hornady and Redding are virtual clones of each other, the differences are in small details. A 'micrometer' type adjustment thimble is VERY good, both Redding's and Hornady's come with that, it's an expensive extra cost option for the RCBS. I think all three still have a smaller than standard "pistol"chamber for small charges. A powder baffle in the hopper is nice to have but it's quite easy to make one if your's doesn't include it.

Several very expensive measures like Harrels are made for dropping mid-size charges of small kernel powders for BR shooters and, no surprise, they are quite good for that. But, the BR measures usually have chambers too small for most hunting rifle cartridges and there isn't a whole lot of user difference when dropping coarse powders like many of us use anyway.

Digital dumpsters make some folk happy because they are felt to be "faster". Maybe. But unless you're loading several hundered rounds at a time I don't feel they are faster than a manual system with a conventional measure, trickler and beam scale. Put the measure on a proper bench stand behind an just to the left of your press (not on the press or bench edge) so it will be handy and still out of the way. Make or buy a sturdy box or shelf to set the beam scale and trickler as high as the measure and just to its left so there is a close and smooth working relationship between them. That way you can dump a charge into the pan, set it on the scale and trickle up the last few tenths and pour it into a powder funnel sitting on a batch of prepped cases in a loading block. You will rapidly develop a flow that loads precise charges about as fast as fiddling with a digital dumpster (if you consider the set up, warm up, zero-tare-calibrate and clean out afterwards as "time", and I do) and do it at a MUCH lower cost!

If you really want an iron measure, an article in an old Handloader's Digest in the early 60s rated Reddings "Master" as slightly the most consistant with coarse powders. I bought one then and have never felt any others I've used since is any better, today's Redding BR3 is virtually identical. (The RCBS Uniflow is less expensive - until you add the micrometer thimble!)

Sadly, IMHO, no one makes a good powder trickler so I've made my own. Of those available off the shelf I believe the Redding is best and Hornady runs a close second, while the RCBS sucks due to the high friction of the tube and light weight of the base. In fact, all of 'em are really too light and the trickle tubes should be of easy turning chromed hard brass like a telescoping auto radio antenna.

Bottom line suggestion; get a Lee Perfect first and use it until you find some reason not to; that may be never. Even if you do get a different measure later you'll still have occasions to use the Lee so it won't - or shouldn't - be a waste.

Good luck with the health issues. I hope BozOcare is a help instead of an additional burden as it is for me.

Doc_Stihl
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Well put 1hole. The only addition I'd have is on the digital dumpers, it's probably not any faster than doing a dump/trickly by hand, but you can seat bullets and give them a once over for quality while the scale's doin the work. Handy sometimes.

But the get a Lee Perfect is good advice. You might like another better eventualy, but the lee is short money and just plain works.

1hole
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
'you can seat bullets and give them a once over for quality while the scale's doin the work. Handy sometimes."

Agree Doc, not knocking the digtal dumpsters at all. For those who want them and are willing to pay for them I'm very happy they're available. I just dislike seeing posters like Mr. Beekeeper get pointed towards something that, from his post, is clearly not likely to be an asset for him nor is it rationally affordable. The same limits apply to me. I don't need one nor do I want one. IF I loaded hundreds of rounds of the same load frequently I suppose one might appeal to me but I don't. Doubt the Beekeeper does either.

I manually measure/trickle rifle charges in less than 15 seconds, without hurrying, and I don't weigh hand gun charges, so I won't afford one, there's simply too little potential for help. In fact, given the time to fill, prepare, use and restore/change powders, I suspect a D.D. would actually add time to my typical loading session instead of speeding things up!

My bullet seating is done seperately, after I have charged and visually checked each case in a tray for a consistant powder column. In 45 years, I've never had a single under or over or missed charge. But I ain't everyone and everyone else should buy and use what they need or want.

gcollins
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Beekeeper,
You have gotten a lot of good advice!!! And I have to agree that finding the right powder dump for the right powder charge.
Here is what I do, remember I am a guy that does things cheap or waits till I find it cheap. To start off, if I am reloading a target rifle I will use one of my Blending Mull's for I think that they are the best there is for all powders. I will set up my B.M. as close as I can to my powder charge without it throwing to much then I will trickle untill I get the charge on the scale to read perfect, if I am using a extruded powder I will have took the time to cut some peieces up into 1/2" or 1/3rds. I want to know I have done the best I can do when it comes to target loads. Now when it comes to pistol loads I will let one of my Dillon powder dumps do the job! If I am going to use the single stage press to load a few pistol rounds I will use the dippers and trickler. I do have some of the RCBS Uniflow powder dumps and I find them okay for pistol loads. Something for you to think about when the funds are real low, I can't think of the brand, but there ia a system that works like a blending mull on the cheap, it is made for black powder and it has a mico adjustment cyclinder I bought one new here 3 years ago for $26.00 you might find a good used one on ebay for cheap, I will go out to the shop tomorrow and look the name up for you.
Remember this is just my 2 cents, and I only post things that have worked for me and might not work for others.
Later
G

MtGun44
01-06-2011, 11:40 PM
RCBS Uniflow is an excellent powder measure.

Bill

mike in co
01-06-2011, 11:53 PM
bee,
the lee perfect is one of the best for money out there..it ran heads up and won against benchrest quality measure in a test a few years back.....

again all depends on the powder...

i can throw with a harrels oem 8208 at plus or minus........well lets just say less than 0.1.

with n133...plus or minus 0.2

with n140 well it aint worth doing..use a scale.

but you have to have a scale that reads better than 0.1 to tell this.....

for most casual shooting any scale that does plus or minus .1 in a medium to large case is fine...

so what are you shooting....that would be a big clue....

mike in co.......
( just get the lee, then trickle up for powders that don't meter well)

Cowboy T
01-07-2011, 03:55 AM
If he's using small flake powder (e. g. Bullseye or Titegroup) or ball powder, another good choice would be Lee's Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measure. Mine meter both of these types to within 0.1gr.

sergeant69
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Since this is a "wish list", I recommend the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It's a fast, accurate dispenser and is available with or without the 1500gr digital scale. I have the combo and I LOVE it. It has really sped up the process of charging rifle cases for me. The only powders that are an issue are long stick powders, but they are a problem for all dispensers. Most other powders flow like water and drop within 1/10th of a grain.

i have on the way in as am tired of weighing stick powders too. i don't care what the manufac. claim, no ones works well w/extruded powders. as afr as your problem w/the 1500 and stick powders, have you tried the straw trick? everyone i talk to says it solves it for them, for real. will see soon.

Kevin Rohrer
01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
No measure can drop tubular powders with high consistancy, it's not physically possible to do that by volume...No measure can consistanly drop specific charges of small flake powders, they get into the crevices of the rotor and cause binding.

This one *might* be the exception, as it is advertised as being extremely accurate w/ all powders (no cutting stick powders) while very fast (100-rounds in 4-minutes). I haven't used mine yet, but plan on reporting here about it when I do.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0407.jpg

Dannix
01-08-2011, 02:38 AM
http://www.quick-measure.com/

I'm looking forward to your review. That's one interesting power measure. I'd like to be able to skip on the RCBSChargemasterCombo as my wallet can't afford it, and I'd have to get a power filter/conditioner for it too for precision. And, well, I prefer mechanical noises when I'm reloading. Reloading is a break from electronic technology for me.

Kevin Rohrer
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Electronic scales are very kewl, but I don't like the thought of them going bad after a few years because a part burns out and renders it useless.

Presses and associated components are meant to last decades, electronics are meant to last a few years.

It will be awhile before I post a review as I don't have any cases prepared. Am waiting till the snow lessens a bit before I can get out and fireform a case.

And this measure is not cheap. With all the goodies needed to load calibers from .17-.30 cost me $275.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
If he's using small flake powder (e. g. Bullseye or Titegroup) or ball powder, another good choice would be Lee's Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measure. Mine meter both of these types to within 0.1gr.

Wow, only one mention of the Lee Pro Auto-Disk.
I am a big fan of this one, although I haven't used
others. I told the cheaper Lee Auto-Disk is more of a
powder spiller. spend the extra $10 and make sure you
get the PRO Auto-Disk measure. It still does leak a
little bit with disc type powders, but nothing to really worry about.
the Pro Auto-Disk teamed up with one of Lee's Turret Presses,
for about $100 total New, you can crank out ammo.
Jon

DCM
01-08-2011, 09:30 PM
On the powder tricklers. I'm quite surprised that nobody here of all places mentioned putting a lead weight in the bottom of theirs like I did to mine many years ago. Sure makes it much more stable and bottom heavy.

sergeant69
01-09-2011, 12:15 AM
in the 70's i would epoxy fishing weights -egg sinkers- into the hollow bottom of my tricklers. hi tech back then!