PDA

View Full Version : Snow?????? what snow?

NSP64
12-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I loaded up some boolits and went to the range today. Temp 30*, snowing. 3" on the ground and more comming. It was great. Only 1d10T there. Took the .308 win out for a spin. I had bought a 4# jug of A2400 and loaded some to try.
Savage Edge 308 win, 1-10 twist, all brass neck sized, using Lee boolits 120gr soupcan w/ GC, 125gr soupcan modified, 150gr RN with GC. all lubed with speed green. using Unique and 2400 with Federal LP primers

Most loads were shooting 1" with 1 flier.best loads follow;
1. Lee soupcan modified to throw PB boolits. 125gr over 6.0 gr Unique 1200fps 1" ctc 50yrds. no leading. nice uniform group.
2. Lee 150gr RN with AL GC . 15.5 gr A2400. 1650fps 1/2" ctc @ 50yrds[smilie=w:

I have only fired boolits from this gun and have never had a leading issue.

Jack Stanley
12-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Snow ?? ... well , I'll just put another stick of oak in the firebox and keep this little rangehouse warm . Today was a day for the Mosin and my old fashion Lyman mold ... you know the one that drops bullets four thousanths larger than it's supposed to . It works pretty well in this fat groove Russian with seventeen and a half grains of twenty-four hundred .

I thought about taking the Stevens out , just didn't get that far .

Jack

zxcvbob
12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
The snow is about 4 feet deep here; 2 feet out in the opens. I've never seen so much snow in my life. (I hate snow, except in Colorado in the summertime.)

geargnasher
12-25-2010, 03:47 AM
What's snow? We had a cold snap hit last night, we had a low of 43*, this afternoon was partly cloudy and 65, Wednesday we hit 80*.

Gear

Maineboy
12-25-2010, 08:10 AM
We've had some pretty unusual winter weather in my neck of the North Woods. I have been watching news stories about unusually bad weather all over country and the world. Except for some heavy rain, which didn't cause any problems this far north in Maine, we have missed it.
Normally on Christmas day we would have about 2 feet of snow on the ground. Right now we have under 2 inches. I have not used my snow thrower once this season. We live on a lake which usually is completely frozen over by Thanksgiving. It did freeze over a week late, but has since thawed and refrozen twice. Two days ago my son who is up for Christmas asked me how thick the ice was. I guessed 5 inches. We cut a hole in it to find less than 2 inches. Needless to say, we got off in a hurry. By this time of year there should be a foot of ice covering it. The temperature has yet to fall below zero. Ice fishing starts January 1st and some of the big lakes have not completely frozen over.
I know at some point we're going to get into our usual winter weather of heavy snowfalls followed by several days of -20F weather but when you miss a month or two of it, it really shortens the winter.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

frkelly74
12-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Just kind of dreary here. No fresh snow and what is on the ground is looking kind of used. But it is another Christmas and that is certainly something to be glad of. Earth may be a mess but there is a better place waiting for us.

1Shirt
12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Only a little snow here, but cold and windy. Regardless, btroj and I got out one day this week to try his new 357 Marlin, and dressed properly it wern't all that bad. That little rifle shoots well by the way. If there isn't that much snow on the ground, try to get to the range at least once a week year round. Last year there was so much snow, that I went 7 weeks without getting to the range, and then once high centered my 4x4 once and had to dig out. Don't mind the cold, but sure don't like the cold with wind and or damp!
1Shirt
:coffee:

AZ-Stew
12-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I write this as I'm waiting for a fresh load of lino to get up to temp so I can try out my Lee .22 Bator mould. Just spent an hour casting RCBS .22-55s while listening to a Shirley Temple movie play on the FX network in the background. My back is to the TV while I cast, but I should have figured out a way to be able to see the screen while I'm waiting for the sprues to cool.

Anyway, my indoor/outdoor thermometer says 75 in/80 out. It's surely not a white Christmas, but at least the grandkids get to play with their outdoor toys today. I always hated having to wait till March to play with mine when I was a kid in Indiana.

Regards,

Stew

TCLouis
12-25-2010, 06:50 PM
NSP64

13.5 2400 and soupcan is the most accurate boolit tested and load so far (limited data) out of my sporterized 1917.

Seems like I got 1500 fps and change with that loading and way less than an inch at 50. This is the original Lee boolit, not a group buy version. GB's were not even around in those days!

Blammer
12-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Here in Asheville, NC it's been snowing all day, must have about 8" today. It's a snow storm for sure! A white christmas here is a rarity and the kids love it!

thx997303
12-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Oddly enough, we're going to take the boat out on a nearby res and go fishing here in a few days.

Wayne Smith
12-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Coming down hard here at the Beach as I write this. About 2" on the ground and 5"-8" forecast. Very unusual weather for this area, will pobably break records. White Christmas came late - but only by one day! Those who understand the real and reasonable predictions around global warming see this change in weather as one of the signs. Not the politics, no statement of cause, just the real science that trys to understand observed phenomona. Climate is a highly dynamic process - that means, by definition, that it changes!

MGySgt
12-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Wayne - you live too far east to have a white Christmas yesterday. I am west of 95 below Petersburg and it snowed all day yesterday and it looks like it is going to continue today.

About 5 inchest down and another 5 for today. Sure is pretty - but snowing to hard to use the range.

Drew

Thecyberguy
12-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Our white Christmas is going to be a day or so late. Blizzard warnings with 10-14" headed our way. That is for tonight and tomorrow.
Have a good 'un, TCG

bigted
12-26-2010, 12:14 PM
weather just came off the 46 below...thats -46 and we have around 3.5 feet snow so far. kinda cool but cold weather is comin...merry christmas all.

think ill go outside and cast some before the cold weather gets here.

Tom W.
12-26-2010, 01:07 PM
We woke up to flurries this morning, but they've stopped. The weather channel predicts 20's for the next three or four mornings.

armoredman
12-26-2010, 11:53 PM
"Snow"? You mean the frozen white ice in a SnoCone?
BTW, some distinguished scientists are now saying the Earth is entering a cooling cycle, and we'll have cooler weather for about 20 years. :D
I love winter in AZ, best time to run the lead pot.

Wayne Smith
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Official level here was 14.2" - third highest on record and second highest in a century.

Jack Stanley
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
No snow today but it's eleven degrees ...... might be a good day to go fire a brush pile while I'm cleaning fencerows .

Jack

MakeMineA10mm
12-27-2010, 10:17 AM
I loaded up some boolits and went to the range today. Temp 30*, snowing. 3" on the ground and more comming. It was great. Only 10d 10T there. Took the .308 win out for a spin. I had bought a 4# jug of A2400 and loaded some to try.
Savage Edge 308 win, 1-10 twist, all brass neck sized, using Lee boolits 120gr soupcan w/ GC, 125gr soupcan modified, 150gr RN with GC. all lubed with speed green. using Unique and 2400 with Federal LP primers

Most loads were shooting 1" with 1 flier.best loads follow;
1. Lee soupcan modified to throw PB boolits. 125gr over 6.0 gr Unique 1200fps 1" ctc 50yrds. no leading. nice uniform group.
2. Lee 150gr RN with AL GC . 15.5 gr A2400. 1650fps 1/2" ctc @ 50yrds[smilie=w:

I have only fired boolits from this gun and have never had a leading issue.

We ended up with 7" from the Christmas Eve snow storm, with another 1.5 Christmas night. Made for a beautiful Christmas, but the railing of my deck looks like it has grown a white afro...

How much did you wind up with down there?

smokemjoe
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
3 snow storms here= 28 in., shoveled off the house roof Sunday, Dubuque Iowa

oldhickory
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
weather just came off the 46 below...thats -46 and we have around 3.5 feet snow so far. kinda cool but cold weather is comin...merry christmas all.

think ill go outside and cast some before the cold weather gets here.

I do not want to live anywhere within 2,000 miles of you! I would much prefer AZ- Stew's climate of 80 degrees in December...Now that's what I call liveable!

(Pssst!-Stew. It doesn't get below 65 there, does it?)[smilie=w:

AZ-Stew
12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes, it does.

In the winter I often have to go out in the morning and use the garden hose to wash the frost off my truck windows before I can drive to work. That adds just enough heat to the glass that the insides of the windows don't fog up when I start breathing inside.

My dad taught me that trick 40+ years ago. When we lived in Indiana it got plenty cold and icy/snowy. He would get a pan of HOT water from the kitchen faucet and pour it on the car windows. Worked great and neither he nor I have ever cracked a glass.

It also gets cool and gray several times during the winter for a few days. Down in the 50s or so. We've also seen snow here, but it's rare in Phoenix. Not rare in the higher elevations. We have ski resorts in the mountains. But if you stay in Phoenix, the weather is pretty nice in the winter. Nasty hot in the summer, though.

Regards,

Stew

oldhickory
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I don'tmind the heat, Stew-Not a bit! This cold and wind around here drives me nuts though. I gotta move closer to the equator!

Lloyd Smale
12-28-2010, 07:10 AM
do that up here when its real cold and youll end up with a cracked windshield.
Yes, it does.

In the winter I often have to go out in the morning and use the garden hose to wash the frost off my truck windows before I can drive to work. That adds jsut enough heat to the glass that the insides of the windows don't fog up when I start breathing inside.

My dad taught me that trick 40+ years ago. When we lived in Indiana it got plenty cold and icy/snowy. He would get a pan of HOT water from the kitchen faucet and pour it on the car windows. Worked great and neither he nor I have ever cracked a glass.

It also gets cool and gray several times during the winter for a few days. Down in the 50s or so. We've also seen snow here, but it's rare in Phoenix. Not rare in the higher elevations. We have ski resorts in the mountains. But if you stay in Phoenix, the weather is pretty nice in the winter. Nasty hot in the summer, though.

Regards,

Stew

94Doug
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Exactly Lloyd.... -40 and water= boom.

Doug

MGySgt
12-28-2010, 09:50 AM
When I was a young hard charging Staff Sergeant - I was assigned to Emabassy duty -
Reykjavik Iceland. We had an ecconomics officer whose wife would go out and start his car every morning so it would be toasty warm when he had to drive to the Embassy.

One morning she forgot to turn on the defroster - he went out about 15 minutes later - engine was warmed up - he turned on his defroster full blast and that windsheild exploded.

Lesson Learned - cold out side (minus whatever) and engine warmed up - turn defroster on LOW, not high!

ghh3rd
12-28-2010, 12:40 PM
This weekend I hunted near Homosassa (Florida) -- just after daybreak my rifle had a coating of frost on it :) Yes, it does get cold here in FL sometimes, but the best we can do is scrape a frost ball from our car roof, rather than having snow balls.

AZ-Stew
12-29-2010, 04:59 PM
do that up here when its real cold and youll end up with a cracked windshield.

Use colder water. I've used 125 degree water from the hot water faucet on car windows that were well below 30 degrees with no problem. You should be able to get away with the same temperature differential. 40 or 50 degree water should work for you. Once you get the glass up to 40 or 50, you can warm it further with hotter water. Around here, the cold water from the hose bib is warm enough to get the job done.

I won't drive unless I can see clearly all around the vehicle. Warm water on the glass is the best solution I've found.

Regards,

Stew

Canuck Bob
12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
You guys are making me laugh. A little cold and a sprinkling of snow and listen to the whining. You would rather live with bubonic plagued desert rats, termites, cockroaches, and many forms of nasty creatures on 2,4, and many more legs. One nice thing about a good Canadian winter is it clears out the rifraf and triflers.

We got the Arctic Air Masses and you guys got Wall Street bankers, give me the cold and snow anyday.

Now for a serious moment, Happy New Years to all of our shooting fraternity regardless of address.

fishhawk
12-29-2010, 08:42 PM
wis. mn. the u.p. the dakotas and the canadians know what cold weather is 8 inches of snow whats the problem?

Canuck Bob
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
wis. mn. the u.p. the dakotas and the canadians know what cold weather is 8 inches of snow whats the problem?

Second worse snow storm I drove in was driving across the Upper Penninsula from the west going toward Detroit to cross into Canada. The worst was a prairie blizzard, actually feared for my life in that one. We got a bit of snow last night, about 6-8 inches on the ground. Just makes things look clean and redresses the tobaggon hill..