PDA

View Full Version : Deer fat?

Gussy
10-23-2006, 12:01 AM
My buddy shot one of the fattest deer I've ever seen. I couldn't resist, I rendered out a quart of fat. Now what???? Is this stuff usful for anything?? Lube?? Put it on the dogs food??
Gus

VTDW
10-23-2006, 12:22 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Compulsive eh Gus?

Four Fingers of Death
10-23-2006, 12:25 AM
fry something in it and see what it tastes like. Mick

versifier
10-23-2006, 01:10 AM
It is used in traditional candle making: tallow. Don't feed it to the dog, it does not digest well at all, and don't fry anything up in it or you'll be spending a lot of time in the reading room, after you clean up what the dog did. [smilie=1: We grind salt pork or bacon with venison to get burger with digestable fat.

Lloyd Smale
10-23-2006, 05:03 AM
I dont see why it couldnt be used for blackpowder lube.

waksupi
10-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Game fat is excellent for soap making. Some of the old loggers used to use it for boot waterproofing. It would probably slick your cowlick down pretty well.

Boz330
10-23-2006, 09:12 AM
On another forum I frequent, they swear by it for a BP lube ingredeant. As far putting it in your mouth forget it. As soon as it cools it is liking having peanut butter smeared on the roof of your mouth and it tastes bad and you can't get it off either. YUCK!
People that say they can't stand venison probably had this experience. I try not to leave any fat or bone in my meat when I butcher it. If it needs fat I add pork or beef suet to it.

Bob

fourarmed
10-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I made candles with it once in an antique candle mold. Unfortunately I used it straight, which is OK in very cold weather, but not in hot. Mix it half with paraffin if you want to mold them. In a glass container, it works OK straight. I recall Elmer Keith using it with beeswax as a bullet lube. You could mix it with some millet seed and put it out for the birds.

stocker
10-23-2006, 11:52 AM
If you use an equivalent amount of rendered bear fat mixed with the deer you will get an exceptional leather treatment mix. We used it extensively for harnesses, saddle skirt (not the seat) saddle bags, chaps, scabbards to maintain flexibility and some water resistance. Warmed and used direct without the bear fat added it would probably be a good boot waterproofer. You could try blending some with bee's wax to stiffen the mix further for boot use. Just make sure any leather you treat with this is kept safe from rodents, including porcupine and also bears as they tend to want to eat the leather if not stored out of reach.

LET-CA
10-23-2006, 12:44 PM
My buddy shot one of the fattest deer I've ever seen. I couldn't resist, I rendered out a quart of fat. Now what???? Is this stuff usful for anything?? Lube?? Put it on the dogs food??
Gus

Venison fat tastes BAD. We always had our butcher substitute in hog fat when we had sausage made up. Use if for candles, bullet lube, or anything else outside of consuming it.

Gussy
10-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I know it tastes bad!! When I bone out a deer, I trim it all off, and like most of you I put beef or pork fat back in. I usually get super fat hamburger and grind it in as I grind the deer. I try to end up with 10% or slightly less fat.

I had lube in mind. Any good black powder lubes (BPCR type, not muzzle loader)with this in it? What mix?? Tried bear once with mixed results, mostly to the bad side compared to other stuff. My dog does love the left overs from the rendering!!
Gus

Ricochet
10-23-2006, 01:57 PM
If you use it to plaster down your cowlick, you might want to avoid walking around in grizzly bear or mountain lion territory.

HORNET
10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Gussy,
IIRC, Junior has a lube recipe on his website that uses beeswax and unsalted hog lard. I would think that you'd be able to substitute rendered deer fat for the lard. Might want to be sure that it won't go rancid in warm weather first, though.
Good luck.:coffee:

Bullshop
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Gussy
I used to use animal fat in BP lube but found that in long term storage the boolits and the brass from loaded rounds would corrode. I quit using it as there are far better ingrediants available. However being a tight wad much like many others here I still render fat, mostly moose now. It makes a wonderful flux for rendering WW, outside of course. I put a big scoop full on as soon as the clips begin to melt and light it. Stir it up good then use two big spoons like sallad tongs to remove the clips. The fat seems to coat the clips increasing thier boyancy and prevents any lead from sticking to them so there is very little lost this way. Its also just a fine cleaning flux leaving the melt smooth and shiney when finished.
BIC/BS

Junior1942
10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Gussy,
IIRC, Junior has a lube recipe on his website that uses beeswax and unsalted hog lard. I would think that you'd be able to substitute rendered deer fat for the lard. Might want to be sure that it won't go rancid in warm weather first, though.Just keep it in the fridge and it will last for years. All lard/fat/tallow has a trace of salt in it. To remove the salt, stir the lard/fat/tallow in a big pan of boiling water. Let it all cool until the lard/fat/tallow solidifies.