PDA

View Full Version : british 303 mkIII

corey012778
12-24-2010, 02:18 AM
I found an British 303 in an local gun shop for $150. it is missing the butt plate, has been repaired, and missing one of the swivel/studs.

i really don't mind doing stock work. I most likely refinish or get an new stock for it. but is it worth the price?

Multigunner
12-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Depends on condition.
150 bucks is not bad for an Enfield in good mechanical condition with a good bore.

A replacement for the missing butt plate and other parts are readily available from a number of sources, I suggest "Springfield Sporters" they have tons of Enfield parts.

Shooter
12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Look at the serial # on the back of the bolt handle, it's nice if it matches the rifle.

corey012778
12-25-2010, 02:13 AM
the action was smooth, been 2 maybe 3 years since I played with an bolt action. I am mainly an muzzleloader guy. but I have an fondness for fixer upper guns and military arms. I love WWI and II area guns.

NickSS
12-25-2010, 06:17 AM
The No 1 Mk III rifle was the old reliable used in both WWI and WWII by the British commonwealth armies. It is fast and smooth working once you get used to the cock on closing of the bolt. The parts that are missing can be replaced and they are redily available and the price is OK if it has a good bore and the rest of it is sound mechanically. Personally I would try to get a few bucks knocked off for the missing parts but thats me I always like to dicker on this sort of rifle.

1Shirt
12-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Was fortunate enough to pick up a #1, Mk III, BSA 1917, with very good, no pits bore from a guy walking around with a stick out of the muzzle with a for sale sign on it. He asked 150.00 for it, I looked at the bore and offered him 125.00 he accepted and walked away happy. Had a lot of copper in the bore, but that came out without much trouble. The smelly is an odd looking duck, but half a dozen wars can't be all wrong. It had been thru an armory I am sure, as not all things match, but the 90 plus old girl shoots better than I can. Bought it to shoot cast only, and it shoots it well. 12 gr. of Trail Boss under the Lee 155 designed for 7.62x39 sized .314 shoots close to moa at 50 yds. Look forward to spring and warmer weather when I will be able to wring out whatever the potential of the rifle is.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Mark Daiute
12-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Was fortunate enough to pick up a #1, Mk III, BSA 1917, with very good, no pits bore from a guy walking around with a stick out of the muzzle with a for sale sign on it. He asked 150.00 for it, I looked at the bore and offered him 125.00 he accepted and walked away happy. Had a lot of copper in the bore, but that came out without much trouble. The smelly is an odd looking duck, but half a dozen wars can't be all wrong. It had been thru an armory I am sure, as not all things match, but the 90 plus old girl shoots better than I can. Bought it to shoot cast only, and it shoots it well. 12 gr. of Trail Boss under the Lee 155 designed for 7.62x39 sized .314 shoots close to moa at 50 yds. Look forward to spring and warmer weather when I will be able to wring out whatever the potential of the rifle is.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

I paid a buck-50 at auction for mine, a BSA, 1918. It was missing the magazine for which I paid 30 dollars. All the parts had matching numbers. The rear hand guard was some sort of light-colored replacement. I was lucky enough to get a walnut replacement that matches the rest of the wood perfectly. It's the cheapest rifle I own, the ugliest rifle I own and an absolute favorite. Actually, it WAS the ugliest rifle. As time goes buy it gets more and more attractive to me. Keep us posted on your load development. Your efforts will be my gain! Mine shoots well, has a very good bore with deep sharp rifling but I have not spent enough time on load development.

Mark

parrott1969
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
You need to check the head space before purchasing. As you know the head space is adjustable with the bolt head but if it already has a #3 bolt head and the head space it loose I would pass. They did make a #4 bolt head but finding one is like finding the Holly Grail.! Don't ask how I know this.

northmn
12-27-2010, 10:50 PM
There are fewer full military #1's availabel than the #4's. I have been half looking for a #1 to play with and $150 would be an excellent price for a rifle that can be easily conveted backto "original" condition. A large number of Enfields were refurbished by armorers to keep them going. I went through a lot of hoops to get my #4 North Branch to shoot to deer levels to suit me but got it going. Read the sticky on accuracy. Some with throat erosian shoot well with fillers like cream of wheat or shot buffer. Good luck. As to the bolt head issue. Neck size the brass only and it is not so much of an issue.

DP

Springfield
12-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I have an old brass buttplate for an Enfield. If you are interested I can take a look in my parts bin.

gnoahhh
12-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Speaking in terms of national issue military rifles, the old saying was that "The Americans built a target rifle (1903 Springfield), the Germans built a sporting rifle (98 Mauser), but the British built a fighting rifle (No.1 MkIII)."

When buying one to shoot make sure of the bore and headspace. As said earlier headspace can be corrected with different bolt heads, if not too far gone. I might have a couple laying in the junk drawer. Be wary of the bore too. I bought a 1918 BSA No.1MkIII*, re-worked at Ishapore 1931, that had a beautiful crisp shiny bore. Trouble was it keyholed it's shots, if it even hit the paper that is. Turned out to be waaaay oversize and needed extra TLC to turn in semi-passable groups. How it got through life being like that is beyond me. Sold it to a WWI re-ennactor who only wanted to fire blanks in it. He was happy, so was I.

nanuk
12-29-2010, 07:30 AM
my No1 Mk3's shoot minute of moose out to 200yds

my No4 Mk1 shoots minute of deer out to 250yds

that is all I ask of them right now.

need to tweek 'em some day

1Shirt
12-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Just started working mine up. It wants .314 size. Shoots the 155 spitzer (lee) made for 7.62x39 well over 12.5 trail boss, and the 185 Lee over 17.5 gr. 2400. My poor eyes still allowed for about 2MOA at 50 yds. Haven't taken it out to 100 yet.
1Shirt!:coffee:

HighHook
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Funny how funny looking these guns are and they grow on you to be a favorite. Just saying...