PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 45-70 Blue or Stainless

school of mines
12-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I am planning on getting a Ruger #1 in 45-70 this spring. I am looking for input on wether to go with blued finish or the stainless version. Does anyone have any experience with the stainless pros and cons? The plan is to use gas checked and postell type boolits with smokeless powder.

Thanks!

Gunlaker
12-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I am planning on getting a Ruger #1 in 45-70 this spring. I am looking for input on wether to go with blued finish or the stainless version. Does anyone have any experience with the stainless pros and cons? The plan is to use gas checked and postell type boolits with smokeless powder.

Thanks!

I have a stainless one and I like it quite a bit. I never have been able to get it to shoot the Postell style bullets very well though (although I've just tried plain base in various alloys). It does well with gas checked 405gr bullets though.

Chris.

Shooter6br
12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
i have a Ruger NO 1 SS with laminate stock. I love not to worry about the blue. The Ruger has a short throat so i cant use those 500g bullets. i use 350 Ranch Dog

Tazman1602
12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Always buy stainless if you can IMHO..........BUT...........you might want to shoot that #1 before you lay down the cash for it.

NO offense to Ruger #1 owners as I LOVE that action based on the old Farqueharson action. Absolutely beautiful action, however, about 10 years ago I bought my "dream" Ruger #1. A light sporter in 30-06 and I have never, EVER been kicked like that even with full bore 45-70 loads in my Marlin GG. I sold the gun but would still like a HEAVY #1 in a big bore of some kind.....

Art

excess650
12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
My 45-70 #1 is a kicker as well. I think that part of the problem is that I have to crawl up on the stock to get proper eye relief. Solutions are to shorten the stock and add a cushy pad, and use a scope with more eye relief. Extension rings might help if they're available for the #1.

My #1 has the red rubber buttpad, so has some age to it. Like the newer ones, it has a short throat. Some of the early #1 45-70s must have had long throats as evidenced by the OAL listed in Speer #10.

Just for S&G I loaded some 500gr(?) tapered paper patch from a Tom Ballard mold. I seem to recall using WW cases for their extra 4gr capacity and loading BP with a light kicker of Rx7. Recoil was pretty bad, but it shot a ragged one hole group at 100 yards.:holysheep

Buy whatever strikes your fancy. I prefer blued steel and walnut, but SS and a laminated stock has to be better than a plastic or synthetic stock, aesthetically.

smoked turkey
12-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I also have a stainless with the grey laminated stock. I have taken a nice whitetail buck with it and I now enjoy shooting it since I put a limb saver pad on it. With the factory pad it was too brutal to shoot. My load is the Lyman 457122 over 4198 or AA 5744 loaded to about 1500'/s. The stainless/laminate is not as elegant as blue and walnut but IMHO it makes more sense on a hunting rifle.

NickSS
12-24-2010, 02:20 AM
I personally like a Ruger No 1 to look like a classic rifle so blue with walnut stocks is my cup of tea. For a purly hunting rifle I will go with a laminated stock and a dull stainless bolt action. I buy single shots for nostalgia and fun not to hunt with though I have and done so successfully.

Bullshop
12-24-2010, 02:58 AM
If ya cant wait till spring I have a blued one with Pachmayr pad added and a NIB set of Warn QD rings. If your not too distant I can ship it TYD for $600.00

Shooter
12-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I have #1s in blue and stainless. I love my stainless 1H for hunting.

Look around in the woods, the limbs and trunks are nearer silver than blue.

Gunlaker
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Mine kicked like heck until I had a Limbsaver put on. I also had it throated as it would not chamber rounds with most of the bullets I use unless seated very deep.
Chris.

school of mines
12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the information! Bullshop, thanks for the offer but I'll have to save up the cash first. It sounds like I need to invest in a long eye-relief scope and a limbsaver pad as well!

Merry Christmas!

Bullshop
12-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Mine already has the Pachmayr decelerator pad installed. I would like to trade it for a small bore small case rifle, something like a 22 hornet, or 218 bee, 25/20 or even a 222 or 221.
If you had something like that to trade you wouldn't have to save up the cash.
BTW this #1 45/70 shoots perty darn good.

45r
12-24-2010, 06:05 PM
The Omega scopes have 5 inchs of eye releif and the one I got looks good on my SS thumbhole Knight muzzleloader.It is nice not having to worry about a heavy load smack your brow.Nikons have good glass also.I usually get leupold but the sale price on the Omega and longer eye releif made me decide to try it out.They work good when you can mount them forward enough and it made more room to pull the bolt back easier on my ML.As far as SS or blue goes.I like the classic cool looks of a single shot rifle and the # 1 is very cool looking. I'd get blue myself.Any gun that gets cleaned and oiled after using will last a lifetime and beyond.I have to admit SS is more practical in harsh envirenments.I like ones that have a sandblasted finish that doesn't shine like the Knight ML above with the Black lami stocks.ML's are more prone to rust so SS makes even more sense with them.The # 1 that I'd like to have the most is a 30-30 or a 357mag so I could ream it out to 357max with my custom rifle reamer.I've almost bid on a 357 mag online but wonder if they could be reamed without taking the barrel off,maybe someone here could say if its possible.Taking the stock off is easy but the barrel I don't know.

45r
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Mine already has the Pachmayr decelerator pad installed. I would like to trade it for a small bore small case rifle, something like a 22 hornet, or 218 bee, 25/20 or even a 222 or 221.
If you had something like that to trade you wouldn't have to save up the cash.
BTW this #1 45/70 shoots perty darn good.

I have a CZ mini-mauser in 221 rem that is VERY accurate(half inch at 100 with 40 grain V-max),If you get a deal on one of them I'd bet you would like it a lot.The set triggers that come with them are nice also.Of all the thin barrel small bore rifles I've tried my 221 has been the most efficient and the least expensive.Their light weight makes them nice as a carry gun also.I'd be interested in your #1 but I'm looking for a 357 or 30-30.

45r
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
The Omega scopes have 5 inchs of eye releif and the one I got looks good on my SS thumbhole Knight muzzleloader.It is nice not having to worry about a heavy load smack your brow.Nikons have good glass also.I usually get leupold but the sale price on the Omega and longer eye releif made me decide to try it out.They work good when you can mount them forward enough and it made more room to pull the bolt back easier on my ML.As far as SS or blue goes.I like the classic cool looks of a single shot rifle and the # 1 is very cool looking. I'd get blue myself.Any gun that gets cleaned and oiled after using will last a lifetime and beyond.I have to admit SS is more practical in harsh envirenments.I like ones that have a sandblasted finish that doesn't shine like the Knight ML above with the Black lami stocks.ML's are more prone to rust so SS makes even more sense with them.The # 1 that I'd like to have the most is a 30-30 or a 357mag so I could ream it out to 357max with my custom rifle reamer.I've almost bid on a 357 mag online but wonder if they could be reamed without taking the barrel off,maybe someone here could say if its possible.Taking the stock off is easy but the barrel I don't know.

Gunlaker
12-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a Bushnell Elite 3x9 on mine. I don't think it has a particularly great deal of eye relief, but even when shooting heavy loads with those newfangled jacketed bullets I've yet to smack myself in the eye with the scope :grin:

Chris.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Providing the stainless with laminated stock is not a lot heavier then the blue/walnut version, they'd be great.

I love the light short blued version I have. Easy for an Ol'Coot to pack in the woods!

As per recoil, I bought mine used at a local hock shop, and before shooting mounted a good, read thick and cushy, recoil pad after removing the needed amount of butt stock wood.

As per recoil, has not been a problem once I got a scope mounted, but was a real bear trying to use the iron sights. OUCH!!

The 2X7 leupold works great as per eye relief and has full field of view until 4X or so.

As I presently only use the upper power setting on the bench, the less then full field of view is not an issue while hunting.

Took my critter this Fall at 4X as I recall.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Marine Sgt 2111
12-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Stainless with laminated wood...absolutely. I have a knight 85 that I never worry about when I head out into the woods. When you all talk about recoil I have but one phrase for you "No. #3 Ruger in .45-70" 400gr speers at 2100fps...shot 20 and call it a day.

Shooter6br
12-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Ditto for the Leupold 2 x 7 with heavy duplex

softpoint
12-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Stainless with laminated wood...absolutely. I have a knight 85 that I never worry about when I head out into the woods. When you all talk about recoil I have but one phrase for you "No. #3 Ruger in .45-70" 400gr speers at 2100fps...shot 20 and call it a day.

I had a #3 Ruger years ago. 500 gr. Hornady's with 53 or so gr. 3031 made a lively little gun out of it.:-D

Artful
12-30-2010, 01:48 PM
.375 big bore is about where I stop with Number 3's and recoil.

I'd also say stainless if available, I have a few stainless guns and when I lived in Oregon loved the almost carefree in wet weather approach.

cajun shooter
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
As has been posted the Ruger has a very short chamber and throat. If you want to shoot the heavier slugs then you need to go with a PEDERSOLI but it well cost twice as much.

Gunlaker
12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
As has been posted the Ruger has a very short chamber and throat. If you want to shoot the heavier slugs then you need to go with a PEDERSOLI but it well cost twice as much.
It's pretty cheap for a gunsmith to deepen the throat on the ruger. Interestingly, when mine was new it would chamber a 530gr Postell bullet just fine, but it would not chamber a Speer 400gr when seated to 2.54". After cleaning up the throat it'll chamber that round and shoot it accurately.
Chris.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Gunlaker is correct, it is not a long or very costly project to get that #1 throat lenghted up a bit.

Take the rounds along you plan to use and the GS can cut the throat to match up to that length.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Gunlaker
12-31-2010, 01:54 AM
I just looked through my files. When I bought the Ruger #1 I did a test of bullets at "standard" OAL (i.e. what is listed in my reloading manuals).

Here are the rounds that did chamber:

350gr hornady RN
405gr Remington
525gr Postell (Bullet Barn)

Here are the rounds that did not chamber:

350gr Speer
350gr hornady FP
400gr Speer
400gr Barnes Original
405gr cast gas checked (Bullet Barn)
500gr Hdy FMJ

They all chamber fine after the throat was "adjusted".

Chris.

12-31-2010, 06:19 AM
I wonder if Ruger changed their throat dimensions somewhere along the line. I have a #1 in 45-70 and I've been shooting the Speer 350g Flat Nose (2478) for years. I bought it new probably 12 years ago after literally wearing out a Marlin 1895SS. At 2050 feet-per-second it kicks a bit too much for the scope I had on it, a Leupold M7-3X so I found a peep sight that mounts on the Ruger rib without drilling anything. It's not a tack driver but at 100 yards I can keep um in a 4 to 5 inch circle. I wouldn't trade that one off unless I could trade it for the same thing in stainless.

12-31-2010, 06:32 AM
I wonder if Ruger changed their throat dimensions somewhere along the line. I have a #1 in 45-70 and I've been shooting the Speer 350g Flat Nose (2478) for years. I bought it new probably 12 years ago after literally wearing out a Marlin 1895SS. At 2050 feet-per-second it kicks a bit too much for the scope I had on it, a Leupold M7-3X so I found a peep sight that mounts on the Ruger rib without drilling anything. It's not a tack driver but at 100 yards I can keep um in a 4 to 5 inch circle. I wouldn't trade that one off unless I could trade it for the same thing in stainless.

the other DWS
12-31-2010, 09:09 AM
when It comes to SS rifle I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I like blue (or color case) and walnut on'em. but I like a really good trigger pull as well. I'm not convinced yet how well a stainless to stainless tuned and polished action will wear. IF I were to develop a Ruger SS in 45-70 for a hunting gun it'd have a blued or colorcased action. the internals would be carbon steel properly tuned and polished then Metalifed to keep'em from wearing out. If I were to be using a R#1/3 --3 preferably--as a hunting rifle in wet (nw USA/coastal Alaska) conditions I might consider a SS action/barrel (w/proper twist--see below) synthetic stock/ BUT I'd be using carbon metalifed steel internals in it.

FWIW I have a highly customized Stainless 44M Redhawk snubbie, with a very highly tuned DAO action--carbon parts Metalifed that has held tune for over 20 years--and at least a thousand shots per year A matching 357 w/ss internals has had to be reworked every few years due to wear. And I shoot it a LOT less than the 44.

factory stocks are a one-size for everyone. a properly fitted butt is CRITICAL on a heavy recoiling rifle. shorten it lengthen it, add a recoli pad and a strap-on cheek piece--whatever it takes to make it fit---or get an inletted blank and work it to fit your needs.

regarding shooting those 500+ gr. Postal style bullets. Its more than just aa matter of proper throat and chamber. They are especially designed for long range target----REAL long range, like 800 yds plus--use. I'm not sure why one would want them for hunting unless hunting large African game and I believe there are better more effective heavy cast bullets for hunting.
IN addition it takes a fast twist barrel to stabilize them for accurate shooting. they are very twist rate and velocity sensitive. before investing in a Postal style mould check your twist. many/most factory 45-70s are the 20/1 twist for the lighter 45-70 gvmnt bullet/load. If you want to shoot the long heavy ones with any precision you will probably need a 18/1 barrel.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-31-2010, 10:10 AM
Well .458

I thought about that peep sight, but shooting the #1 with iron sights was very painfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pain went away as soon as I got my head position up where it should be with a scope.

Leupold 2X7 in my case.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Gunlaker
12-31-2010, 12:47 PM

I believe that they did change the throat somewhere along the line. One of my reloading manuals makes mention of it. I think I bought mine about 2 or 2 1/2 years ago.

Chris.

Potsy
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
I bought a newer model (black pad) #1 a couple of years back. Walnut & Blued.
It does have a short throat and I trimmed about .1" off Starline Brass to shoot Ranch Dog 350's out of it.
With 55 grn. 3031 it does kick and my biggest grip it the load is VERY compressed (to the point it's a minor pain to get boolits seated) so I'll probably back off a couple grains next go round.
Having said that, the only group I've bothered shooting with it put 3 in an inch at 50 yards with iron sights.
I just put a Leupold M8 2.5 Compact on it and am looking forward to working with it more.
And yes, I'll probably get a Pachmayer pad put on it.
As far as stainless or blued, I scratched the barrel pretty good (don't know how) on my stainless Browning .25-06 this week. Annoyed, but not in mourning like I would have been with either of my blued #1's.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Potsy,

I gave up on 3031 because of the compresion.

The compression was so bad it was deforming the boolit nose quite badly.

And it didn't show me anything the 4198 didn't equal or better, while RL7 gave better velocity with possibly a touch better groups.

Want to try H322 come Spring.

If groups don't become a bit smaller, may need to try a different boolit other then the 355gr LBT/WFN.

That boolit is a flatout devistator, starting out at about 2290fps!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Potsy
12-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Coot,
When I run out of 3031 I'm gonna try something else. Went with 3031 mostly because that's what Elmer used, but I'm sure theres new and better out there though. Thus far, metering qualities (non-existant) and compression (yes, I know I COULD back off the throttle) have been my only issues. Been thinking about RamShot, but I haven't researched any data.

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2011, 08:49 AM
my thoughts exactly. I dont dislike stainless guns ive got quite a few stainless handguns and bolt actions. But #1s and leverguns should be blued and walnut in my opinion
I personally like a Ruger No 1 to look like a classic rifle so blue with walnut stocks is my cup of tea. For a purly hunting rifle I will go with a laminated stock and a dull stainless bolt action. I buy single shots for nostalgia and fun not to hunt with though I have and done so successfully.

Trapaddict
01-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I have owned a blued #1 topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5 -5 for about 13 years now. Sorry I didn't buy one sooner. Ruger's have a reputation for stringing. I did not see that with mine. Attached is a target fired at the first range session with the gun back in 1998. The first shot in the upper right is out of the cold clean barrel. The lower left is actually two bullets. Winchester cases and a bunch of IMR3031. Never looked for another load. Shoots the same groups with Sierra or Barnes bullets of the same weight. As far as excessive recoil, that is the trade off for a light hunting rifle. No different than the guy that shoots a 300 WSM in a Remington Model 7. There is always a trade off. To be honest, I ususally don't even feel it when I touch off a round on game. Alliant RX7 was a lot less than pleasant to shoot when compared to 3031 with the same weight bullet and printed a full 8 inches higher at 100 yards! You can get a 300 grainer moving in the 2400 FPS range if you have the stones to do it. It ain't any fun! Keep you bullets at around 2000 FPS and the rifle is not a chore to shoot.

Jeff

Tatume
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
There have been several comments about the recoil of the Ruger #1 in 45-70. One solution is to buy a #1H in 458 Win Mag. They don't offer this chambering any more, but used ones are out there. Mine weighs 9.5 pounds without a scope, and handles recoil rather nicely with 400 gr cast bullets at about 1700 - 2000 fps. If you ever need full power, switch to 500 gr jacketed bullets and run them at 2150 fps. In the words of Paul Mathews (paraphrased), the 458 Win Mag #1H is the best 45-70 ever made.

Shooter6br
01-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I like stainless steel guns I am too anal with blue wearing off

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I really like Stainless and synthetic, and have greatly enjoyed my hunting rifles so equiped!

However, a #1 is different.

I can handle the Stainless, but don't like that stock. I'm sure they can make a much better looking laminated stock then the one currently used!

If RUGER would put on a much slimmer forend, something like the Alexander Henry forend WITHOUT the ugly grove and make the forend & Butt with a synthetic, it would be much better.

The synthetic stock on their Hawkeye, has a very nice feel to it, not huge and bulky, nice feel/texture.

Then give me one in 45/70 that is as light and handy as my current #1s, then we'd have something.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

the other DWS
01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
A decent restocking of a #1#3 works wonders on recoil control. Proper bedding of the forend does the same on most of them that have accuracy problems (assuming decent loads and a reasonably skilled shooter) Personally I have never cared for the factory #3 stock. That quasi-military looking thing might work for the 22h or 223 chamberings, but in the heavy calibres it might violate the Geneva conventions as instruments of torture--and I'm not overly recoil-sensitive. Mine have modified #1 butts and reworked #1 varmint forends

Anyone playing with Ruger singleshots should get their hands on a copy of the Ruger chapter in the late Frank deHasse's book "Mr. Singleshot's Gunsmithing Ideas Book" he takes you step by careful step through the forend tuning process. there have also been several articles in various magazines over the years also giving some similar info, but Frank put it all in one spot.

FWIW I think it is Brownells that offers a "Hicks" barrel tuning device that fits into the forend/mainspring hanger/barrel gaps that allows one to "tune" the barrel harmonics. They are not permitted in ASSRA competition so I have not personal experience with them---though they have been discussed at some length in ASSRA circles. However I suspect that they will work better with slimmer barrels than with larger diameter stiffer barrels.
Here is a link to the mfg info
http://www.eabco.com/Hickspkg.pdf

Swampman
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
I love the #3 stock. It's a shame to booger them up and ruin their value. Mine have shot perfectly without any tuning at all.

Haggway
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't have any stainless yet. At first they didn't look good to me but after drooling on a stainless 243 win, I have been thinking about adding it to the blue ones I own. Yeah that #3 can be a mule with the factory stock. I put a real stock on mine and it helped tame the recoil.

Shooter
05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I like stainless steel guns I am too anal with blue wearing off

I'm with you. Hunting guns are tools.

Another advantage is that stainless/synthetic Ruger #1's color matches the color of trees and brush in my eastern woods in hunting season.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Shooter,

You are correct, hunting guns are "tools."

It just happens that the #1 rifles in Blue and nice walnut are just the prettiest tools I've ever taken to the woods.

I recall the first elk hunt with a beautiful #1B - in 7mm mag. laying on my knees on that early SE Washington morning.

Never did see an elk that trip, but that hunt remains in my mind for the simple reason of the rifle that went with me.

Now it is my lovely #1S in 45/70 that is helping to make my hunts special.

That, and the ebony tip that replaced the ugly Alexander Henry forearm tip and don't forget the home cast 465gr WFN boolits that are going with me. [smilie=w:

CDOC

Swampman
05-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I really like the Alexander Henry forearm tip forearm. I wish I could get another one.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I really like the slender profile of that wood, I just can't deal with the groove!

The replacement with a nice piece of contrasting walnut or a chunk of ebony makes the forend into pure class, while leaving a forend profile that is much better to my hands then that found on the #1B beaver tail style.

Love the rifle, just have never been able to deal with that groove.

A personal, Ol'Coot's thing I guess.

CDOC

pilot
05-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm with you. Hunting guns are tools.

Another advantage is that stainless/synthetic Ruger #1's color matches the color of trees and brush in my eastern woods in hunting season.

I thought deer were color blind.

:grin:

Shooter
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I thought deer were color blind.

:grin:

Turkeys aren't. :D

pilot
05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Turkeys aren't. :D

That's for sure. We have to use shotguns for those, though. OD paint works wonders.

9.3X62AL
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I wonder what percentage of Ruger Number Ones manufactured are made in 45-70. I'd bet it is a significant amount--the combination is a natural.

My own is a blue and walnut, made in the late 1990s IIRC, and features the short throat AKA "Government ballseat". Not only is it short, it is also ABRUPT--about like a city curbside, and many leverguns in vintage calibers feature similar throat forms. Such forms are ruinous to my paper-patched slugs, so I dispensed with those gymnastics early-on. My rifle does shoot well-fit boolits VERY well, though--the Lee 405 has done well, once seated to kiss (andnot collide with) the abrupt rifling leade. I have a new Accurate mould, a 410 grainer as-cast in 92-6-2 with a Loverin groove form and gas check. These will be my next venture, and will get run at higher speeds than the Lee boolit. Of course, 410 grains doesn't need to go real fast to send a final message. To paraphrase Ammohead......."Seen many buffalo lately?"